So now that I have my lovely little girl with me in Turkey and are all happy about this :) a few new problems have arisen.

When we were planning to move out here I was worried about the heat and about wild dogs, she is fluffy and only little.

We sorted this by getting clippers (her first home made haircut is a whole different story) and bribing the neighbours pit bull mix into being her bodyguard Posted Image

The one thing I didn`t think about was nature, it started as soon as the grass started to turn golden, she kept on stopping every few meters to pull quite nasty seeds out of her paws.

The neighbours short haired dog doesn't seem to have any problems with it, so we thought the best way to go would be to shave the fur in-between her toes. Her paws are very fury and webbed toes, she is a Tibetan Terrier cross.

This has made it worse

Now she has sores in-between her toes, it looks quite angry and crusty. The only way I can explain this is by thinking its the seeds actually breaking the skin, its very thin and delicate in that area.

I checked the internet as well for soreness on paws etc. and one thing they come up with is grain allergies??? as I cook for her anyway how can I not use grain?? or are there grains she can eat?? the only different grain I used was something looking like Barley but turning out to need a lot longer cooking, translation for the name on the packet just said "pulses" (bakliyat) but I have seen the same wort on totally different grains so ???

Another problem is she has got little sore bumps all over her but mostly on the legs and undercarriage. The seem to itch her, so once again, seeds or maybe mosquito bites.

(before anyone asks, yes of course she is treated for fleas and ticks)

Also I`m quite worried now, before we left England my Vet who is Spanish herself, said to register my dog with a local vet as there may be different vaccinations needed on top of what she already has for England. She didn't go into detail but she seem to think that in the Mediterranean areas are different diseases we don't vaccinate for in England. She mentioned its because of the mosquitoes.

I did register her over here with a reputable vet who put all her details into his pc, checked her pet passport, gave us some more Frontline but then said that she is fully vaccinated and he doesn't know about any other vaccinations.

So I believed him, but now I have just stumbled over an illness called "Canine leishmaniasis" Posted Image

I know that a lot of you are doggy lovers as well so maybe you can advise please? I really could`t bear it if her life would be miserable because of my move Posted Image

Sorry for the late answer, Mouse. My dog has his rabies jabs every year and worm tablets in spring and autumn. Nothing different from what he got in France except that in France some campsites asked for vaccination against kennel cough so he got that too.

The vet didn't propose anything else but I don't live in the Mediterranean area.

You say you registered with a vet here. I didn't, there are 3 reputable ones here and I take my dog to whoever is available on the day since they are country vets and can be out helping cows to calve. I don't think that registering is necessary but it may depend on your region.

Why don't you try getting a second opinion, at least to get something to treat the sores? Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have just been looking at my dog's vaccination booklet and there is no mention of Canine leishmaniasis so I presume it's not a problem here.

The vaccine list includes, parvoviral enteritis, distemper, canine hepatitis,Leptospirosis, corona virus,bordetella bronchiseptica and of course rabies.

When I had Yorkshire terriers here (now sadly long gone) I had to remove grass seeds and other spiky seeds from their feet, but they were good at telling me if they had a problem. It's best to avoid rough grass if possible or you could try little boots, seriously. You are unlikely to be able to buy them here so go to an old-fashioned cobbler/ leather worker to see if they could fashion some for your 'little girl' from soft leather.

For the bites I would get an insecticide shampoo. There could be a number of things that could cause them including ants, flies and other bugs that are in the garden. Just lie on the grass yourself and see what you come up with. :)

If you do have a lot of mossies around, you could get one of those machines for killing them. They sell various models for around 20tl +

Food wise, some animals if fed chicken here, develop allergies due to the amount of hormones fed to the birds. That manifests itself in itching and loss of hair in places. If you think she has a grain allergy just experiment with different types or try pasta or rice instead.

I hope that you can sort out the problems as I know it is worrying.

Thank you so much for your reply Sunny

I know its silly but I really do worry about her, she is such a good dog and cute as well as you can see, I always used to laugh about people fussing about little dogs (she is not tiny, about knee high) but she really is my little girl Posted Image

She makes me laugh every day :) somebody already mentioned booties but I thought they were taking the micky

Its such a shame for her, she loves to run and is amazingly fast but the seeds stop all that, maybe I will have to take her to the beach instead. Shouldn't be a problem to let her have a good run there, up to now the Turkish people seem to love her and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback when I take her out, much better then I thought it would be.

As for the vaccinations, she has all them apart from the corona virus one, never heard about that one, weird that the vet didn't mention it, maybe he is not a switched on as I was made to believe?

The Leishmaniasis should be in Turkey as well, its passed on through sand-flies and we have plenty of these here, more of a problem for me then the mosquitoes actually as they are so quiet you cant hear them at all and so tiny you don't feel them till the little swine have bitten you :(

Maybe the virus is not as spread here so that it is not worth the vaccination?

There seem to be "pockets" of Canine leishmaniasis along the south west coast of Turkey, we have quite a lot of cases here, so much so in fact that the vet in Kalkan keeps a supply of the test kits. The test is a simple blood test and it might be a good idea to ask your vet about it and maybe ask him to ring the Kalkan vet to see where he can get the test kits if he hasn't already got them. It's a particularly nasty disease but can be controlled well with a course of drugs which are not expensive. The flies are most active in the evening so keeping your dog indoors and treated with a fly repellent is a good idea.

Thanks for that Cukur...now I`m worried again lol

do you by any chance have the name of that Vet or is there only one in Kalkan? :)

And do you know if that Vet has got the vaccination or just the kit?

Yes I know its worse in the evening but at the same time thats the nicest time of the day Posted Image

Mouse yes, his name is Hasan and his phone numbers are 0242 844 3188 and 0555 7190225. The medication seems to be readily and inexpensively available around here from the pharmacies, Hasan only has the diagnosis kit.

Since the fly that carries the virus is tiny a short haired dog (or one that has been clipped) is more likely to be bitten than a long haired one.

I never have my dogs clipped. The way a dog loses heat is through panting so as to pass air over it's mouth and tongue which have a huge number of blood vessels, the evaporation of the saliva cools the mouth surfaces thus cooling the blood. The skin under the fur does not have any sweat glands and is not particularly well supplied with blood vessels so clipping does not make much difference to the body temperature. The fur covering insulates the body from the sun's heat in the summer and from cold in winter and if the dog's fur is clipped very short it could even cause it to get sunburned in summer. For those reasons I don't think it's a good idea, just my opinion though.

I see what you are saying Cukur. It makes sense. :)

We usually only clip her to make grooming easier and obviously the grass seeds are easier to get out.

I think it depends on the fur structure as well, possibly?? her fur is really fine in structure but lots of it, designed to keep her warm I think. She does seem to feel better when we keep it short and is more active straight away. I keep it quite dense on her back etc. because of the sun but I do shave her belly and she seems to enjoy laying on cool floors when it is shaved.

Its a bit of a mystery to me that the furs are so different in structure because when I look at her in comparison to for example a Havanese it doesnt look that different but Havanese hair is designed to keep the dog cool and they even have to wear jumpers in winter where as mine is always quite warm even in the coldest temperatures?

I'd never heard of Canine leishmaniasis until you brought it up. Since then I've been doing some research. It's very nasty and once a dog has got it there's no cure, but a vaccination has been developed. I wonder why it's not included in the routine vaccinations?

I used to cut my yorkies hair to keep it neat in summer and to stop it tangling, it also looked cute.

• 2 weeks later...

one other thing, I would like to order some stuff from an online pet drug store, like drontal and a scalibor collar for my husband to bring over.

These two things don`t seem to be a problem but the other thing I tried to order was Advocate spot on as she has always been on this and it protects against heartworm and lungworm and a few other nasty things at the same time, now the online company requires a prescription for this, any idea how to get one anybody???