I did a search for carpets and read a thread about buying carpets, but I didn't see this answered anywhere. Forgive me if I overlooked something.

So after two years in Turkey, I'm preparing to head back to the US in about a month. As a parting gift, a very, very, very good friend of mine has offered to give me a carpet that his mother made. He has several carpets, kilims, and other woven knicknacks that she made and he wants me to have one. I am honored and touched by his generosity and would love to accept it, but I'm wondering if I need any paperwork to get it into the US. I've heard that taking things more than 100 years old out of the country is illegal...these carpets aren't that old, but how do I prove it when it is a gift like this? I assume that there must be some kind of paperwork/system that gets handled by carpet shops when you buy one there. Does anyone know? I don't want to get in trouble and I don't want to lose a precious family heirloom to customs. The one I'd be taking is the small 60x90cm size, if that matters. They're just made by his mom, as I said, so it's not like they're some super high quality, pricy piece of art...it's value is much more sentimental. Any thoughts? Do I need any paperwork? If I do, where/how can I get it done? Thanks guys!

ıts all about your good luck,remember some tourıst just cause of taking useless stones from an ancıent sıte ,they got underarest many tımes or just cause of some flower etc,

ın legal ways;you have to made ıt checked and ımprove that ıt has not any worth as ancıent or hıstorıcal,and get a paper wrııten that not has any value

ofcourse bıg value as a gıft

Actually the ethnography museum should be ideal, since they display Turkish handicrafts and carpets. I think this must be a routine thing, and the museum would appreciate that you've checked to make sure you won't be exporting an antiquity. Please let us know how it goes. I think this is the first topic we've had on this so far.

I mostly just know university professors and students. Since I live in Denizli, I do have a go-to guy for towels, but I don't have any carpet contacts. ;)

My friend called the museum and they said they don't do that, but that there's someone at the main library who does. He's gonna go by there sometime and ask about it.