Sign in to follow this  
mrs

Mobile Phone Clarification

Rate this topic

Hey all! I have another question, I've been reading this forum and I can't figure out what you're all talking about with sim cards and taxes and things like that for phones.

I don't know anything about using a phone in another country. When I lived in Belize we just bought those cards with minutes on them and used payphones. With the age of cellphones, could someone tell me exactly what I need to do to have a cellphone that would work in Turkey? Do I really need to buy a new Turkish one? Or can I just bring in my current one? Thanks!

(Of note, I have the most basic phone ever, so there's no need to deal with all that crazy stuff like "smart" technology.)

If you are staying in Turkey for more than 2 or 3 weeks you have to register your mobile phone within 30 days or they will bar it. To do this you need to go to the tax office with your passport and pay them 115TL and then take the receipt to one of the main branches of one of the following providers - Turkcell, Vodafone or Avea it will cost you about 25TL register with them. Either someone at your school or the people who you are staying with will be able to tell you where they are located.

As you are only staying a short time it may not be worth your while in terms of the time it will take. You can buy cheap second hand phones for probably less than that.

Thanks Paks.

You will see shops that sell second hand phones along the streets. I'm going into Turkcell today to pay my computer bill and will look and see how much the cheapest new phone is that they sell and will let you know. Your hosts or maybe your teacher will tell you the best place to buy one.

You will still need to register the phone with the network provider, but that should only be about 25TL plus, of course, you will need buy a SIM card.

When I registered mine about a year ago, I had to go from Kaş to Fethiye and register it at the main Turkcell branch. They did everything on the spot and I didn't have to go to the tax office. Is that something new? Or I wonder if it varies from province to province like a lot of other things do.

It came into effect the middle of last year DEAD LINK. The tax went up to 115TL in January of this year.

Admin note: The link is now dead, but we now have a guide which explains how to register your mobile phone.

If you are staying in Turkey for more than 2 or 3 weeks you have to register your mobile phone within 30 days or they will bar it. As you are only staying a short time it may not be worth your while in terms of the time it will take. You can buy cheap second hand phones for probably less than that.

The key in the whole thing is if you buy a Turkish SIM card. If you use a phone with a European, UK or US carrier and do not buy and install a Turkish SIM card, your phone will not be blocked no matter how long you stay here. Of course, then you pay exhorbitant roaming fees.For people who live in Turkey, or stay for extended periods of time, It is, in many cases, less expensive to buy a local phone, especially if you do not need a "smart phone" (aka hand-held computer).

Meral, thanks for sharing.

We recently went through this process and it works much as Berk Çektir describes. My wife, a Turkish citizen, bought a phone from Google in the USA and a friend brought the phone to her. She took a day trip to Meis from Kaş and when she returned, she visited the Deniz Polis and presented her entry stamp to obtain the document mentioned in the article. She then paid the 115 TL tax at the Maliye (tax office), registered online, inserted the SIM card from her old phone and connected. So far all is OK.

If you are purchasing a SIM card for the first time, you will need to take your registration information, passport showing entry to Turkey within the last 30 days, and the police document, to a Turkcell shop which should be able to activate your service. Good luck to all.