Help! Does Anyone Know The Word For "cream"?

Rate this topic

Go to solution Solved by Quinn,

Hi everyone!

So after a good 8 months here, I have yet to have a decent cup of coffee. Why? Because in my world, this requires real cream, what in the states is called "heavy whipping cream" in its liquid, pre-whipped state. I would settle for what in the states is called "half and half" which is to say, half liquid heavy whipping cream and half whole milk.

I have tried many avenues to find this here. What I'm looking for is not kaymak, which is clotted cream. I have tried to explain what I want to the milk manager at Migros who seemed baffled by my request (or maybe he was just baffled by my mangled Turkish!)Posted Image In the past, people have tried to steer me to Coffee Mate, which is something I totally do not want. I have been told by another American who isn't sure what the name is that cream comes in 250ml bottles, so I've looked for things with that description and ended up buying Kefir, which is not cream either. I don't want "krema" which is whipped cream. Tureng is of no help. When I was at Migros, a Turkish woman who spoke English intervened in the conversation with the milk manager and told me that my Migros doesn't carry it but another store in the next neighborhood might. I'm going to that neighborhood today. If any of you or your Turkish spouses (my husband, too, doesn't know) know the word for "cream" I'd be eternally grateful . . .

Concentrated milk might also be what we understand as "evaporated milk" which is also nice to have in coffee. Posted Image Maybe that's what you're after, Quinn ???

It's actually milk with a lot of the water removed. When they do it to yogurt it's called suzme yogurt, so I wonder if the milk is called suzme sut ???

The only cream that I've seen is the small UHT krem packs, like mini milk cartons and that varies too, sometimes you can whip it but other times is too watery.

The only cream that I've seen is the small UHT krem packs, like mini milk cartons and that varies too, sometimes you can whip it but other times is too watery.

I was wondering if you could mix some of the cream from those Krem packs with a little milk and make it "milky". I have not tried it.

Sunny, thanks for the info--I'll look at UHT krem packs. Abi, is that what you had in mind? Ashton, yes, maybe that would work too. It's worth a try.

Am going to the Pazar in the next neighborhood now. Will see if I'm lucky with UHT krem packs! I'll report back and let you know!

No, it wasn't the little Krem packets, it was in 1/2 litre cartons. Although I can't remember the price now, at the time I was going to buy some as I was so excited at finding it, that was until I looked at the price and nearly fell over in shock. The last time I went with Sunny which was a while ago now they didn't have any. Maybe they might have stopped selling it now as I can't believe people would buy at the price they wanted for it.

I'm a bit late to this topic but what you should do is go to a village and ask around among the women for who has a cow and will sell the milk. Take a 5 litre container with you. When I get milk from my neighbour's cows I stand it in the fridge overnight then skim off the cream in the morning, that's what you're talking about Quinn, real cream. The milk is better in tea and makes fabulous porridge too.

But don't you boil it as a precaution against TB etc.?

Cows here are tested for TB, that's the yellow tag they have in their ears.

You could heat it up to pasteurise it, you don't have to boil it though just keep it at 65 for 10 minutes or so, details can be found on google, how hot depends on how long it stays at that temperature.

Most people in the UK are vaccinated, but Quinn is American and here Mr Sunny drinks it and he's no idea if he's been vaccinated.

I was actually exposed to TB and had to go on a 6-month course of Isoniazid so maybe I'm now immune? No matter! Like you said, I can heat it up. I think this is a GREAT idea, and I shall poll my friends about where to go and how to proceed. Cream lasts super long--like a month, and maybe I can freeze what I don't use.

We lived in the country when I was in high school and our neighbors had a milk cow. We did exactly as Cukurbagli said. Why hadn't I thought of this before?

I normally buy mine at Kipa, comes in quarter liter and liter tetra packs and is in the fridge department near the butter and margarine in our Kipa, ours caries two different brands :)

comes at a price though as all fresh milk produce seem to be quite pricey over here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi everyone!

I FOUND it! I FOUND it! I was in Carrefour, of all places, decided to go to the milk section like Mouse suggested, and yes, it was call krema. In a huge carton! I'm over the moon!

This means I can: make cream soups, creme anglaise, whip up cream for a side to pie. . . . so many things! I admit to going through a huge quantity of cream in the past. It is a mainstay in French cooking, which is one of my favorites. Yum!

Thanks for all the helpful words of advice and encouragement!

I think one of the reasons why this was so important to me, on a symbolic level, is that, you know, being over here, by myself, with very little Turkish, I just have had to adjust, be flexible, and roll with the punches. Often is the case that I end up getting something that I don't want when I'm out, but I don't know how to explain what I do want, so I just take what I have and make the best of it. In some ways, I think, this has been good for me. It's forced me to flexible, to not make a big deal of things, and sometimes I discover new things I really like in this way. But you know, some times I really just would like a specific thing and it does get frustrating at times not to be able to find something or express myself properly. So this is a huge boost for me, emotionally. I tried to get used to cream-less coffee and I just never did, and a single cup of coffee-with-cream is such a simple small thing that makes me really happy. And now I've found it! Seriously, I'm so happy. If you were to say: a million pounds/dollars/liras or cream I'm pretty sure I'd pick cream right now. :-) And I have it! Posted Image Yay!