New Face

Rate this topic

Hi All,

Introducing myself, My name is Lisa, I'm from Sydney in Australia. I'm interested to visit Turkey in July/August this year & need alot of information to see if its possible for me.

I'm thinking to do a BUDGET around the world trip.. So far I'm going to Malaysia & Leh/India, I'm looking to go to Turkey next but wondering prices of food & accomadation & where & what are the must do's!? Turkey looks like an Amazing country & I would like to make the most of my time there on a tiny budget! Any help will be much appreciated!!

Look forward to incoming comments & feedback!

Happy TravelsPosted Image

Hi Lisa, welcome to Turkey Central. There are too many "must do's" here to list them all, much better you come and see. Accommodation in small pensions is quite plentiful and often cheap, if you have a browse around the forum you'll soon fill up your itinerary from what people have said about various places. Hope you have a great time.

Hi and welcome from me too Lisa. I agree with Cukur's comments as it's not an easy task as there is so much to do and see. Turkey is very large so if you have a tiny budget you should focus on maybe 1 or 2 areas if you want to experience everything in a particular region rather than just pass through.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful time. :)

In many places, you can get a pension for 25 or 30 Turkish Lira, if you don't mind sharing with six or so other people. Food is cheap, decent street food being around ten or fifteen Turkish Lira.

Must sees are Istanbul, Ephesus, and Cappadocia.

The best sights of Istanbul are all around the Sultanahmet district. Most of the cheap pensions are around there as well. The really cosmopolitan, hip place of Istanbul which includes the night life is in Beyoğlu (bey-o-loo). I could explain how to get there from Sultanahmet but if you just tell somebody at your pension you want to go there, they can explain how to get there. Istanbul also has an excellent tram system Basically anything you would want to see is along the route of the tram. It passes through Sultanahmet where your pension would probably be.

Ephesus is just Ephesus, an ancient city on the Aegean coast south of Izmir. It is remarkably well-preserved. You can stay in nearby Kusadasi, which is kind of a party town where the cruise ships come in. There are cheap pensions to be had there. Or you can stay in Selcuk (sel-chook), which is quieter and has basically no night life. Ephesus is fantastic, the only problem is that it gets very crowded. Every Turkey tour includes Ephesus. There is also a cool traditional Turkish town near there called Sirince (shee-reen-jeh) which is a relaxing place to visit.

Cappadocia (kah-pah-doh-kya) is a huge region, not a site. I spent three weeks there and only saw half of it. You would need at least four days to see the best parts of Cappadocia. I'd recommend going with a travel agency there, because they can take you to the best sites, and you won't waste time bumbling around. I'd recommend middle earth travel for that, they specialize in budget, backpacker-type tours and services. I stayed at the Rock Valley Pension. It was 25 Turkish Lira per night in a room with five other people. They also had the best maps of Cappadocia (there are many floating around, some good, some terrible). People at that pension are also glad to give you an idea of what to see.

Istanbul, Cappadicia, and Ephesus are rather far apart. Istanbul is at the northern coast of Turkey, Cappadocia is in the middle, and Ephesus is on the west (Aegean)coast. But those are indeed the must-sees.

Should-sees would include:

Bergama (Pergamon or Pergamum), an ancient city north of Izmir on the Aegean coast.

Pamukkale, which has fantastic white calcium deposits which gave it the name Pamukkale, which means "cotton castle." An ancient city, Hieropolis, lies at the top of the calcium deposits.

Party towns include:

Bodrum, that's like the number one party town on the Aegean coast.

Marmaris, like Bodrum but even more touristy.

Kusadasi, near Ephesus (convenient!).

I have been to all of these places and spent plenty of time in each place. For a preview, check out my photos:

Istanbul Photos

Ephesus Photos

Cappadocia Photos

Bergama (Pergamum) Photos

Pamukkale and Hierapolis Photos

Bodrum Photos

Marmaris Photos

Kusadasi Photos

The photos should give you a great idea of what's there. I tried to photograph every aspect of each place, and photos are better than words. Of course, check out the other areas I have photographed, you might see something else you would like to see.

You'll be needing a guide book. The best one I know of is the Eyewitness guide to Turkey. Eyewitness also has one which specializes in Istanbul. There are also IPhone apps to get around, including Istanbul City Walk, which has a built-in GPS which actually guides you to various sites. There is also Triposo Turkey. A guide book will be important because there are hundreds of ancient sites and cool things to see, and you will pass them by if you don't know they're there.

Many Australians come to Turkey to see the Gallipoli battlefields in Northwest Turkey. If you want to go there after Istanbul, Troy and Assos won't be far. After those places, you could go down the Aegean coast to Ayvalik (a very pretty coastal town which is also near Pergamum), then Izmir with its excellent waterfront, then hit Ephesus, Kusadasi, and Bodrum and Marmaris (I personally would skip Marmaris), then head east to Pamukkale, then go to Cappadocia, maybe after take in Ankara's Ancient Civilizations Museum, then head back to Istanbul in a round trip. And again, check a guide book for other sites along your route. There are lots of ancient ruins worth visiting if you have extra time.

Welcome to the forum Lisa. As the others have said, in Turkey you are spoilt for choice but I'd go along with Ken's suggestions, all are worth visiting. It will be fun planning, and I'm sure you will have a fantastic trip.

Hi All, Thank you very much for all your welcomes & information already!

I'm not sure where to start with research, Seams like there is not enough time in the day to get everything done!

The photos all look amazing, It will be hard to make a decision on what to see & what to miss, I have 11 days in Turkey..

Who wants to suggest an 11 day plan? & also a cheap nice pension for when I arrive at night.. I will be visiting mid July.

This is a great forum btw!!

Thanking you again

Lisa

11 days isn't a long time and you will only see a fraction of Turkey. It's hard to give you an itinerary because you haven't said what you are interested in seeing and whether a brief glimpse of a place is all you need or a good look around. If you can give us more idea of what you want to see and do we may be able to help you a bit more. Another idea is to look at Tour operators websites when you know which area you want to visit. If you do that it will show the route, how much travel is involved and what to see. You can then follow that route independently.

Hi Puppy Guardian,

Thanks for your reply.. To start with I have a tiny budget, Therefore only 11 days, Its a part of a round the world dream on a tiny budget...

I'm not into partying which seams to be a popular thing in Turkey..?

I want to see, Amazing architecture, History, I like geology & rocks, A swim in the sea, so nice beaches, awesome food (might not be hard right?) Markets/bazaars.. Nature, But also city as well..

Thanks

I think Ephesus is a must for history and there are plenty of beaches at nearby Kusadasi. Capadoccia is another wonderful experience where you could easily spend your whole 11 days visiting the various famous rock formation and the underground villages.

I suppose you shouldn't miss Istanbul, which has again much to offer.

You could start at Istanbul then go by train, bus or plane to Ankara and then Cappadocia and then to Izmir and Ephesus via Ankara again. Taking all those in would be rushing it.

As luck would have it I was reading about the train service between Istanbul/Ankara this week, but can't find the article now. However I have found another article

No intercity trains run east from Istanbul's Haydarpaşa Garı, as the rail line is being upgraded for high-speed service, with work expected to be finished on October 29, 2013.

At present, high-speed train service operates between Ankaraand Eskişehir. Between Eskişehir and Istanbul, you must (temporarily) take a bus.

Fare for the journey on the high-speed train between Ankara and Eskişehir is TL20 Economy Class, TL30 in Business Class.

Buses, which often you can get overnight (so saving on a pansiyon) are a cheap form of transport and there's usually a good choice between cities in Turkey.

In the large cities and popular tourist destinations, it's often possible to just go to the bus otogar on the day you want to travel, buy a ticket, and board the next bus.

The exception to this easy-bus-travel rule is national and Islamic bayrams and special events. Then you are advised to book a few days in advance.

They will usually seat females in the seats immediately behind the driver (seats 1&2 or 3&4) but if you want to be able to stretch your legs out ask for a seat further back in the bus (higher seat number)

There are hostels in Istanbul that you can stay in single or shared rooms for reasonable prices. Just Google to find them.

If you are on a budget, you can take an overnight bus from Istanbul to Cappadocia which is cheap and saves you a night in a hotel. If you only have 11 days, you can cut Ankara out of your itinerary as apart from the Ancient Civilisations Museum, there isn't much to visit. From Cappadocia there is also a night bus to Pamukkale and you can then visit Ephesus before bussing back up to Istanbul. That way you can get to see the must-see places that Ken mentionned and still not be too rushed.

Don't you have to change buses in Ankara nowadays to get to Cappadocia from Istanbul and then to get to Pamukkale?

I agree with you that it's not worth stopping in Ankara,especially if time is short.

Yes, Aston, it is a great website, full of useful stuff. Just be sure to check whether the "recommendations" for hotels, tours etc. are paid for or not. For the paid recommendations, you can see "Sponsored Page" in blue at the bottom of the page. Tom explains it quite clearly but often people believe that these are personal recommendations.

The bus section is really good.

I clicked on the link and the first thing I saw was an advert for swimming with dolphins in Kusadasi! Put me off the site.

Hi All,

Thank you all for being so helpful, You guys are great!! Posted Image

Ok, So I'm thinking that I will have Initially 1 day in Istanbul, Then take a night bus to Capadoccia, Which hopefully my pension/hostel will help me book? It seams like a big area, Which town/village is best for walking to see ALOT? & from Capodoccia can I take another night bus to go across to Ephesus? Can someone tell me are there night buses that go across to Ephesus? & does it have an entry fee or is it a big open area? From here I will go to Kusadasi & beaches.. Then return to Istanbul for another day or so of exploring... How does this sound? What about a nice place on the black sea??

Thanking you all in advance!!Posted Image

If you have only 11 days I would forget the Black Sea area as it's too big and spending more time on buses than seeing anything worth while. It's really a trip on it's own and have plenty of time.

Istanbul - you need to spend at least 3 days there in order to scratch the surface as there is so much to see there. Here is a DEAD LINK to a thread about spending 3 days in Istanbul. Here is another DEAD LINK with what to see in Istanbul

There is much to see in Cappadocia as well and I would advise doing one of the guided day tours or you will miss so much. Apparently there are a lot of travel agents in Goreme so you can shop around for which trip (look online for itinerary) and prices. I think they are in the region of 80tl which would include lunch.

I've been trying to find buses from Goreme to Kusadasi but it looks as if you may have to go to Ankara where there are buses to Kusadasi. Pamukkale travel for example have 3 buses a day 10.00, 18.00, 23.00 and the fare is about 65tl.

You will probably be able to get a dolmus from Kusadasi to Ephesus. The entrance fee is 20tl but there is an extra fee to go into the Roman houses.

I agree with Abi that you need at least 3 days in Istanbul.

There is a lot to see and do in Cappadocia but everything is concentrated into a small area so wherever you stay you are not far from the sites to visit. Göreme is only 8 kms from Ürgüp which is only 4 kms from Mustafapasa, for example. You say you like geology and rocks: you'll be in paradise in Cappadocia!

The best place to stay in Cappadocia? I would say if you like partying, you'll find what you want in Göreme. Göreme is ideal for backpackers and in the summer there are a lot of visitors from Australia and New Zealand. Ken has mentionned Rock Valley Pension in Göreme which is cheap but there are literally hundreds of hotels and hostels to choose from. Star Cave Hotel is another clean and friendly place, too. Have a look at prices on hostelbookers.com and reviews on TripAdvisor. If you are not fussy you can find cheap dormitory-style hostels but you may have to pay extra for sheets or bring your own. If you are hankering for vegemite or meat pies, the Fat Boys Cafe is the place to go, it is right in the centre of Göreme.

Urgup is more upmarket and may not fit into your budget but you will meet locals in the cafes and restaurants. Mustafapasa is a lovely place to stay and easy for visiting the South of Cappadocia and has cheap, clean but unpretentious hotels.

There are about 70 travel agencies in Göreme and Ürgüp, many of them offer day trips. You can get very cheap day tours but you may be rushed and see more carpet shops and factories than cultural or historical sites. It is sometimes worth paying a little more for a better quality tour. If you are not staying long, it is a good idea to go on a guided tour rather than relying on public transport and risking walking past places without seeing them (some of the hidden churches, for example, are very well hidden). Having said that, there is a lot that you can hike on your own. At your hotel, they are usually more than happy to give you explanations and/or maps.

As for buses, do not waste your time going through Ankara. Süha Turizm has buses which go from Cappadocia (Ürgüp, Göreme, Nevşehir then Kayseri) to Denizli (Pamukkale) then onto Selçuk (Ephesus). The night bus leaves around 21:00, takes 9:30 hours and costs about 50TL. Another bus company is Metro Turizm but neither of the websites have an English version which works correctly. The best thing to do is to ask for someone at your hotel to help you book your tickets.

Another solution would be to check out some of the travel agencies in Ürgüp which organise bus tours doing the budget circuit Istanbul-Cappadocia-Pamukkale-Ephesus-Istanbul. Getting a package sometimes works out cheaper than doing it yourself and you don't have to worry about your connections to and from the hotel or bus station. This company runs regular budget tours and has a good reputation.

http://www.yukitour.com.  I don't know about prices, though, you'd have to ask.

I checked out Metro and they don't seem to do Goreme - Kusadasi or Selcuk.

Metro's website seems to be having problems yet again as I saw on the Tripadvisor forum.

Otherwise Nevsehir Seyahat company: http://www.nevsehirlilerseyahat.com.tr/ also runs a direct bus from Göreme to Denizli (Pamukkale) and on to Izmir leaving at 20:00 and costing 45TL.

You can't book very far ahead on these websites, Süha Turizm, for example, only puts the tickets up one month before but if you go through a travel agent you can book earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

hı lisa ,thıs ıs erdem,just thınk what to do ,ıf you wanna see ıstanbul 2and a half day ıs enough for you and you can fınd hostels on the sultanahmet square are,and then you must decıde what to do cappadocıa ıs always expensıev but can take daıly tours for two day also and many other thıngs ,just decıde what to do then let us knıw,

ı am a lıcnesed guıde can gıve any ınfo about any part of country,

wısh you all the best ın turkey

Pardalotus writes:To start with I have a tiny budget, Therefore only 11 days...

I'm not into partying...

I want to see, Amazing architecture, History, I like geology & rocks, A swim in the sea, so nice beaches, awesome food (might not be hard right?) Markets/bazaars.. Nature, But also city as well.

You have gotten lots of great feedback so far, lucky you. You should also take a look at the Thorntree Turkey forum on Lonely Planet:and TurkeyTravelPlanner.com.

Turkey is a big country, not as big as Australia, but even so you can spend a lot of time getting around.

July and August almost all over Turkey will be HOT!! Especially from İzmir and along the Mediterranean Coast.Ramazan, the Islamic holy month, is from 9 July - 7 August with the Şeker (sugar) bayram between 8-10 August. Şeker bayramı will be a very busy holiday traveling time so plan as far ahead as you can around those dates.

It is frequently written that there are More Greek and Roman Ruins in Turkey than those in Italy and Greece!

So much depends upon which airport you are arriving at, Atatürk or Sabhia Gökçen. It is also useful to know what time you will arrive and whether you can find a cheap flight to some of the places you want to see. If you look far enough ahead, you may find a flight less expensive than a bus to Görme or İzmir. Research those.

IF you are not too tired and IF you arrive at a decent time, I suggest you go immediately to either Görme or İzmir and leave Istanbul for last.İzmir (day 2)A Thorntree advisor, wrote a post which states: "At Ephesus, arrive the minute it opens, but enter from the BOTTOM! The tour groups all start at the top so their sheep can be herded downhill. This means that you'll have the Library of Celsus, the theatre, and most of the Sacred Way to yourself...

The suggestion to pay the extra and see the covered excavations is a good one."There is also the 13th Century Isa Bey mosque, and the ruins of the St John Basilica . There are some small shopping places close to the Bascilica and Isa Bey Mosque.Fethiye/Kayaköy (day 3)At the bus station about a bus to Oludeniz/Fethiye. You always want to specify "big bus" not a minibus, Kamil Koç or Pamukkale. When you arrive at the bus station (otogar) in Fethiye ask about a minibus to Kayaköy. Stay overnight there, forget Fethiye.

From the Fethiye otogar you can get a bus to Kaş or stop off along the way at Patara. Also see this site about Patara. At Patara you can take advantage of an ancient Lycian/Greek/Roman city and former capitol of the Lycian League AND afterwards go for a swim on its huge beach.Kaş/Kalkan/Kekova/Kaputaş (day4)Here you can see all these "Amazing architecture, History, Geology & rocks, a swim in the sea, awesome food and Nature..."

We Hobbits live near Kaş, lots to see and do, centrally located along the coast, try to stay 2 days.Cappadocia (Day 6)Antalya to CappadociaIstanbul (Days 8-11)There is so much to see and do in Istanbul that you will be at a loss as to where to start.

Stay in Sultanahmet, take a ferry ride up the Bosphorus, see Aya Sofia, Topkapı Palace (minimum half day here alone), Gulhane Park next to Topkapı, the Yerebatan Sarnıçı (Basilica Cistern), Blue Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque, the Covered Bazaar, and old Beyoğlu. Anything else you can do while you are there will be a plus.