Isler Gucler...

Rate this topic

My husband likes to watch this series and I find the little jingle to be catchy (Hayatim olmus isler gucler. Peh, peh, peh, peh, peh, peh, peh...)

I asked him what the song means, and we had a long conversation about language and how you can't translate it, that it doesn't even make sense in Turkish, but it still works, etc.. Something about "My life is about work and power" and that is is a little rhyming, sing-songy thing.

I'd love to know more takes on why so many things don't even work in TURKISH, yet alone translate to English...

I'd love to know more takes on why so many things don't even work in TURKISH, yet alone translate to English..

Wouldn't we all TT. Not an easy language.

I think there must be sayings in every language that don`t really make sense but still work, we have a few in Germany that I would use all the time and it only became apparent to me how silly some of them are when I had to translate them for my husband.

One of my favorites is if you translate it word for word: " I believe my hamster is polishing the floor" to be used in a situation that seems incredulous :) or for the same type of situation: " my pig is whistling"