conan198903

I'm Having A Problem With The "r" Sound In Turkish

Rate this topic

To me, the "R" sound is rather strange.

When the letter "R" appears at the end of a word, I can hear a sound similar to the "sh" sound in English. However, the native speakers say it is wrong to pronounce in that way. They told me the "R" sound in Turkish is just like the "R" sound in English word "run", but what is that sound I'm hearing???

Also, sometimes they are pronouncing "R" into "L" sound (or I'm hearing it wrong again?)Posted ImagePosted Image

yeah, conan, i hear it too, and they SWEAR they're not making the /sh/ sound... it's an unconscious verbalization that they don't seem to realize is happening when turks do it, i think, but they definitely hear it when you do it (and they have no qualms about calling you on it!)

I taught some Chinese boys years ago back in the UK and for some reason when they tried to say sheep it came out as shreep. I don't know if this is similar to what you are experiencing Conan?

I've always had problems getting the pronunciation of yumusak G right. Especially in words like kagit (paper). What I hear is something like kite or kiyit but I get some strange looks so I suppose I'm not getting it quite right. :(

yeah, conan, i hear it too, and they SWEAR they're not making the /sh/ sound... it's an unconscious verbalization that they don't seem to realize is happening when turks do it, i think, but they definitely hear it when you do it (and they have no qualms about calling you on it!)

This is exactly what I am experiencing.Posted Image

I taught some Chinese boys years ago back in the UK and for some reason when they tried to say sheep it came out as shreep. I don't know if this is similar to what you are experiencing Conan?

I've always had problems getting the pronunciation of yumusak G right. Especially in words like kagit (paper). What I hear is something like kite or kiyit but I get some strange looks so I suppose I'm not getting it quite right. Posted Image

I don't have problems in English pronunciation. Posted Image I'm proud to say I am among those Chinese who can pronounce English beautifully. Posted Image But the 'R' sound in Turkish...

I don't know...it's just so much different. Posted Image Pronouncing yumusakG is difficult too but at least I'm doing it OK at the moment.

I've honestly never noticed this, maybe it's related to accents? But on the other hand Mr sunny comes from near Adana so that can't be it.

Can you give me some examples of words that this happens with then I will ask him to pronounce them when he comes in?

Conan did you learn your English from an American teacher as IWB is American so perhaps it's associated with that accent as in the US they pronounce r differently to the UK?

I have an issue with the word for mince, kiyma (with undotted i) as I always hear it as kreema.

In words like "hayir" where the "r" at the end is softened and not at all like the "r" in run.

Accents are another tricky problem. Here vowels are distorted, k becomes g (Gayseri instead of Kayseri), t becomes d (doş instead of taş), yok is pronounced yoch (like the Scottish loch), and the all-important tapu becomes tapüü ! B's and p's are sometimes interchaged, too.

But the "r" thing at the end of the word doesn't seem linked to "köy" accents.

I've just asked Mr sunny to say it several times and I can't hear a 'sh'. Posted Image

It is not really a "sh" more of a whistly "ch" sound. If you say it you can feel it is whistling through your bottom front teeth as IWB says. More of a "rh" sound.

Close you eyes and don't think about "r" but get Mr Sunny to say it again and then to say "rahat" and listen to the difference.

He thinks I've gone dolally cos I keep asking him to repeat it. He pronounces it hayirr.

"hayir" is a good example. I've also noticed word "mimar"...

And Sunny, yes, my English was taught by American teachers, so I guess I'm speaking English more like an American. :D But I am aware of the differences between American accent and British accent.(I sometimes try to imitate British accent because I find British accent very "gentleman".) I don't think my problem in Turkish "r" sound is caused by American/British accent differences.

Now I'm going to listen to my CD really carefully...

The final 'r' is pronounced differently from the 'r' at the beginning and middle parts of a word.

So you are right in hearing this difference.

The pronunciation of the final 'r' is similar to a 'sh' sound but not the same.

If they were the same these 2 words would be pronounced identically, which they are not:

KAŞ / KAR

To pronounce the word KAR i.e. to produce the final 'r' sound, say 'sh' and

bring the tip of your tongue up almost touching the roof of your mouth.

Kolay gelsin!

I could hear a sort of hiss when Aylin and Selin said Hayir but not the other two.

Great site, thanks JP.

I tried what you suggested Lale but couldn't get my tongue around it!

I put KAŞ / KAR into that pronunciation website and some of them say the r with a ss sound but the other two didn't so perhaps it's to do with accent after all?

rYou need to catch a Turkish person saying a word with an 'r' at the end rather than asking her/him to do it.

When you ask them to say it they will pronounce the 'r' as it should be- or what they think it should be like.

I know that a native Turkish speaker is not aware of the fact that the final 'r' sound is pronounced differently. I only became aware of this when I started teaching Turkish and I remember how surprised I was with this fact. We, Turkish people, tend to think that an 'r' is always an 'r' because Turkish is spoken as it is written and there are no exceptions to this rule. Also, we think that Turkish is a phonetic language i.e. each sound is represented by one letter. The truth is that Turkish is not 100% phonetic e.g. rüzgar (two different sounds of the letter 'r') & kar/kar (two different sounds of the letter 'k': it means snow when it is a 'k' sound and it means profit when it is pronounced with a 'q' sound).

İyi günlerrşşş Posted Image

Just caught this thread.

I always used to hear the 'shhh' sound and one time tried to do it myself, on the assumption that that's how it's done. I got funny looks!

I've never noticed it in my wife's accent however, but more in my colleagues' at my old work.

I usually hear it also in the young female adult diction, the ones that talk with their hands and 'tut' alot and say ufff ya!