Sign in to follow this  
JanBenson

Divorcing In Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi  i married a turk and married in turkey.  Sadly the marriage didnt last and although we are both now living in the uk i have no contact with him whatsoever, and i have divorced him in the uk.  I have met someone else and would eventually like to marry him.  He is turkish living in turkey and so i know i need to divorce there for this to be able to happen.  I do not wish to find my ex so is there any way i can get the turkish divorce? I can supply my english divorce papers.  Does anyone know the cost too?  

Hi JanBenson and welcome. There is quite a lot of information on the subject of recognising a British divorce in Turkey. Have a look here http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/15963-registering-uk-divorce-in-turkey/?hl=%2Bturkish+%2Bdivorce and here http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/15980-divorcing-in-turkey/

As you will see they are very recent posts some written just a few days ago..Finally this is from the Turkish Embassy Consular Section. (scroll down to the divorce section) http://london.emb.mfa.gov.tr/ConsularServices.aspx?ID=8 Good luckPosted Image

Hello,

Sorry to hear your bad experience,

I am a registered attorney in TR/Istanbul, we at Turkish divorce . com are mainly dealing with mix marriages,

If you already got a divorce from a UK court all you need to do is to initiate a recognition case down in TR.

This is a lot easier and shorter than initiating a fresh divorce case here, plus your ex can not dispute the recognition of an existing divorce decision.

For that all you need to do is get your decree absolute and get it apostiled after official translation of it you can initiate your recognition process. It is usually done within one hearing.

Hi, I married a Turkish woman in June, already she is telling me she cannot cope with the differences in culture etc, we met over the internet after my wife died and now I think she wants to get a divorce, my question is what am I financially obligated to give her ?

Sorry to hear that Tony after only such a very short period of time. Normally what was yours before your married remains yours. Once you are married anything else is shared 50/50. I hope you got your pension, if it was a lump sum, before you were married. I hope one of our lawyers can answer your question in more depth as you do need proper legal advice. It may be because your marriage was so very short she may not gain anything from you and hope she married you for the right reasons.

Sorry to hear that Tony after only such a very short period of time. Normally what was yours before your married remains yours. Once you are married anything else is shared 50/50. I hope you got your pension, if it was a lump sum, before you were married. I hope one of our lawyers can answer your question in more depth as you do need proper legal advice. It may be because your marriage was so very short she may not gain anything from you and hope she married you for the right reasons.

Thanks you for the information, the house is in my name and was bought before I was married to this turkish lady, I had my pension and the lump sum before we were married,should I go to see a lawyer, I am just worried she will get half of everything I own, everything is in my name, she only came with a suitcase.

In cases I am familiar with, the only time a spouse would be entitled to a percentage of a pension or a house would be if they were married to you for a long time. For example, keeping house, and taking care of myriad things while you were working for 20 years (enabling you to earn the pension or pay for the house), or working separately and contributing to the payment of the house. Then it's just fair that they would not be expected to leave with nothing. But in your case, your wife wouldn't be entitled to half of what you worked for all of your life just by showing up for a few months, contributing nothing, then leaving. Of course none of this should be taken as legal advice since I am not a lawyer. Seeing a lawyer is the best way to be sure.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it,its a very stressful time and all sorts of things are going though my head. We only got married on the 3rd of june, what a wally I feel, I am feeling used and abused.

Same thing happened to me. I married a girl from the Azores after meeting her on a 15-month tour at Lajes Air Base. I may I have you beat on the short-marriage thing, so you're in good company.

Dear Tony,This is Av. Acelya Yilmazer, from TurkishDivorce.I am sorry to hear your experience.I understand your situation, although our members shared their information,i would like to share my professional advice:I see there is no argument over the divorce, however since you are married less than 12 months your divorce should be handled very carefully, you may not be able to get divorce at all...Although we assume that your partner married you for different reasons, we still need to prove the case over legal divorce reasons, which are counted in the relevant act. Often we are so outraged by the other party's behaviour and think that the judge should rule in our favour, but still your divorce request needs to be fitted within the borders of applicable law.It is inevitable that your partner will as money from you for divorce, and we can not just say that she married you for wrong reasons and therefore you shouldn't pay anything. She can ask big numbers, so you need a professional legal help to overcome all these obstacles.

Well, I'm no expert, & not legally qualified, but just wondering, if you were to go to the UK (assuming that's your home country) and get a divorce, I can't imagine the Turkish courts could refuse to recognize it ??????????????????

Hi again,Sure he can get a divorce in UK. It would only take ages to deliver the papers to the other party...That decision needs to be recognised in TR.. Then she would contest that saying that she didn't understand he was divorcing her etc.. Not only doubling the costs but also the time frame,Many things can be done, but we prefer to advice the most efficient legal way for both time and money wises.

Hi,

i am married here in Switzerland (i am swiss, she is swiss/russian) but we live separated since 1,5 years. she does not want to give me divorce, mainly to keep away my new girlfriend from me. Disputed divorces here in Switzerland are hell and may go for years, therefore i am looking for i different possibility.

Question now: would it been an option to move to Turkey and submit the divorce in Turkey? ( i have a location independent business and would be able to move there, i also like to do my holidays here Posted Image  ). Can somebody please give me some hints if this idea to solve the problem would be feasible, and if yes, how it would look in terms of time, procedure to follow etc ? Many thanks!