Skaters In This Town?

Rate this topic

Morning, I have tried googling this, but no success, so thought I'd ask a resident!!

Is there anywhere in marmaris or around about that sells skates?? My derby skates ( quads not roller blades) are going to be too heavy to bring in the hand luggage I think, plus I'd really like a pair of street skates for over there if poss...... Does anybody know if there's a skate shop?? Also, my daughter long boards, ( not surfboard, skateboard......) I don't even recollect seeing local youngsters out and about on skateboards while we were over there the last times, but surely they must be available??( brain ticking into overtime.... I feel a business niche opening!;))Any information gratefully received.

ThanksX

I have not seen any one roller skating in Turkey , though I have seen children skate boarding. However, I know that there are roller skating waiters and waitresses poolside at the Delphin Diva Premiere Hotel in Antalya !! A friend stayed there and was so impressed with the way that they skated up to the sunbeds with drinks.

http://www.skatelog.com/countries/tr/

I don't think skate boarding or rollerskating are very popular in Turkey, I even wonder if you are allowed to do it in the street it may be restricted to certain areas. You could check with the belediye or police if and where its allowed.

When I read this post I had a vision of the only Wonder Roller Woman in Marmaris or Turkey for that matter Posted Image

post-8668-0-96933400-1363956434_thumb.jp

I have seen roller derby, once, in Madison Wisconsin USA way back in the 1990's I think the one teams was call the Dairy Dolls , I used to roller skate as a child, but the roller derby was a bit extreme for me.

By the way I did not say to ask the police or Belediye (municipality) if you could skate, I suggested you asked Where you could skate, for example parks or skating/boarding areas.

Any way good luck Posted Image

I don't know what the things you are talking about are, but unless there are special places to skate I think it would be unsafe to skate on pavements (sidewalks ) as generally they're very uneven and full of holes and loose stones. The same applies to the roads and it's better to give Turkish drivers a wide berth.

I was just thinking the same thing! There'd have to be special rinks made for skaters, as the streets are totally unsuitable, in fact dangerous! And that silly little "skating rink" (the size of a small room) built by the Belediye at Ilica at the Altin Yunus turnoff is so ridiculous -- never been used, I think, and now all but in ruins! Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes, I know the streets are rough, but trust me, the drag from marmaris old town, past the ataturk monument and along the promenade there, at six in the morning before anyone has hit the beaches(??) would be awesome!

Especially being pulled along really fast by huge German shepherd dog!;)Plus it gives the dog a run early, out of the main heat of the day!!

Don't you fancy it sunny...... I could fetch a spare pair??

X

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll give it a miss if you don't mind. I don't think I'd look very elegant scooting along with the essential cushion tied to my bottom. :)

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll give it a miss if you don't mind. I don't think I'd look very elegant scooting along with the essential cushion tied to my bottom. :)

Ooh we'd look like twins....( except I have a cushion tied to my head too!!):)
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I got me out along the drag today, and yeeeehah, isn't it awesome!

The ground is like granite and after especially changing from track wheels to outdoor wheels before I left the UK, I shouldn't have bothered, the granite is smoother than the indoor track we play derby on! Bah!!

My new outdoor wheels are smooth and shiny add to granite, " weeeeeeeeeeeee"We collared an interested marmaris waiter on the old town seafront and because he was keen to try, squeezed his feet into my skates, me on one side and his pal on the other, he kind of skidded down the " prom" in the sunshine, not looking too elegant, funny tho, promised him his second lesson tomorrow, better take the camera!

Lesson learned from today though, over zealous restaurant owners, spring cleaning with soapy suds water on the granite pavements, makes roller skating highly dangerous and somewhat exciting when stoppers don't stop and wheels go sidewAys! Not conducive to posing and looking like some Los Angeles hottie in the marmaris sunshine.

Lol :) ( with my cushion on my head!!)