Ukba To Reintroduce Interviews For Marriage Visas & Eea Permits

Rate this topic

One of the areas The Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration recent report looked at, was the way the UK Border Agency dealt with applications to enter, remain and settle in the UK on the basis of marriage or civil partnership.

Recommendation 8 of the Chief Inspectors report suggested that the UKBA 'develops a strategy on the use of interviews and home visits in marriage cases.' The UKBA have formally accepted this recommendation:

Recommendation 8:
We recommend that the UK Border Agency develops a strategy on
the use of interviews and home visits in marriage cases.
UK Border Agency Response: accepted. 

UK Border Agency is developing a strategy to re-introduce interviewing as a core part of the
immigration system. In 2013, we will increase the number of those who submit applications for
Immigration Rules based marriage visa and EEA Family Permit, both in country and overseas.
All interviews will be targeted according to our risk indicators, and we will use the evidence from
these interviews to further develop our evidence base, therefore enabling us to target future
interviewing and visiting approaches in the most effective way, as well as to identify
displacement and trends in abuse

The UKBA have yet to publish any guidance or policy relating to this. If targeted as stated above it could allow for the gathering of best evidence and for better decision-making; lets hope it odes not become cumbersome, time-consuming and oppressive

The government stopped interviews for all applicants about five years ago, at that time it took about SIX months for a visa to be processed, lets hope it does not go back to those waiting times.

those immigration laws must be much more strict that can prevent britain from turning into a third worlder country. i don't want to see pakistani or kurdish immigrants introduce themselves as british. i want to see original inhabitants of britain when i visit this country.there are many turkish people in germany. and this is why germany is no longer popular among turks who live in turkey. when you ask a person went to germany, he/she responds like ''uhh, there were too many turks there, i didn't feel like im in germany''

When my husband applied over 12 years ago he was interviewed at the British Consulate in Istanbul. In those days you submitted your paperwork at the Consulate and were given an appointment and were told at the interview whether the person was successful or not. He was lucky and got an appointment 1 month later. Because he was successful he was able to present his passport and got the visa the same day. However, not long ago a husband of one of our members after many many weeks after submitting his application was then told he had to attend an interview at the BC but didn't give him a date for the interview until some time later. After the interview he then had to wait a couple of weeks before he knew if his application was successful. To me the whole thing was handled badly. When they wrote to him telling him he had to attend an interview why didn't they also give him a date for it. Why wasn't he told on the day of the interview whether he was successful or not.

Turko, have you ever left Turkey and visited places like, Australia, America or Canada to name just a few places? Because if you had you would have seen a melting pot of different nationalities and cultures living in these places who had taken the nationality of the counties they moved to. I suppose it must annoy you greatly that different nationalities are taking Turkish Citizenship.

Back in 2005 when Mr Sunny applied for a visitors visa in December, he was first given a date for an interview in Istanbul. This was then changed to Ankara for early March, when he was given the visa.

The old interview system had its good points particularly the fact you received the answer immediately after the interview, you were lucky that your husband waited one month Abi some countries in Asia people waited up to nine months for interview in those days.

Also back in the day applicants went directly to the Embassy /Consulate for interviews. The system is now reliant on Worldbridge, Also there are biometrics, English tests, financial checks, criminal/security checks and health checks for TB in some countries . In some areas there are "hubs " that deal with several countries for example the British Embassy in Paris processes applications from not only France but Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria etc. Cairo deals with certain North African countries. Istanbul primarily processes all applications in Turkey but where will they interview people ? Turko, sometimes I think you live in a little bubble and not in the real world at all !

when you ask a person went to germany, he/she responds like ''uhh, there were too many turks there, i didn't feel like im in germany''

That's funny Turko because most of the Turks I know who visit Germany go to visit family, who are not surprisingly, Turkish!

I agree that waiting times for interviews in Asia are very long but that's probably due to the fact that there are huge amounts of people applying there compared to say Turkey and how many staff are employed to deal with the applications. I think the good thing about having an interview was that you were actually talking to someone face to face and things that in some cases, not all, which weren't quite right were discussed and sort out on the spot.

Still it will be interesting to see what transpires.

There is an English saying, "What goes around comes around" which means what you do or wish to other people will, at some time, happen to you.

Charles Kingsley wrote a children's book in 1863 called "The Water Babies". In the story a child chimney sweep who has been forced to work and has be cruelly treated drowns in a river and meets other children who also have died.

They are cared for by Mrs Do as you would be done by, a beautiful kindly fairy who teaches the water babies to treat others as they would like to be treated. The second fairy is Mrs Be done by as you did. she is ugly and unpleasant and serves out punishments for bad deeds.

The moral of the tale is basic, you get back what you give in this world and the next.

Personally I think an interview is a really good idea. I am pretty certain that in our case if hubby had been interviewed it would have been quickly apparent that ours was a genuine marriage........but I would have thought both parties would need to be interviewed separately and then answers etc compared before they make a final decision. UKBA really does need to get their act together tho......all well and good saying what they are gonna do but.....reading the report it doesn't look as if much of it is actually carried out.

In the past only the foreign spouse was interviewed , it was only in highly questionable cases was the spouse interviewed. Going back about 12 years ago I know a British woman who was called by immigration to Birmingham Airport ( she lived in Wales) for an interview and her Turkish husband was interviewed in Ankara, which dragged the whole thing on for months.

Your right what you say about the changes Louise, so don't hold your breathPosted Image

• 3 months later...

Hello, I was reading this thread and wondered if someone could help me. Me and my husband got married in April in Mersin. We are now going to apply for his visa to come and join me in the UK. i'm planning to go to Ankara with him at the end of June when he submits our documents, just so i feel more secure knowing everything has been done properly, and they dont just 'fob' him off. We haven't completed the online application form yet but does anyone know how quickly you can get an appointment in Ankara? are the appointments normally booked up? The problem is we are still waiting for his english certificate to come through which has been delayed.

Your husband cannot make the settlement application until he has the original ESOL certificate showing he has passed the test.

When you complete the online application form you will be directed to a new page where you will choose the date you wish to attend the appointment at Ankara.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Hope that helps.Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...