Medical School In Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone:First of all thank you for making yourselves available to answer questions. I find this to be very helpful and encouraging!

I'm a perspective medical student in the United States. I was born and raised in Ankara, Turkey. My Turkish is fluent, but my grammar is lacking. I'm going to be finishing my baccalaureate degree very soon. I have options here in the US but not sure if I would be allowed to work in Turkey as a practicing physician, and honestly, I dont want to live in the states.

My questions:- Would I be able to attend a medical school in Turkey, say Marmara Tip Universitesi?- What would the application process look like and would I have to take entrance exams, if so which ones?- How do people handle the cost of schooling here? Do they take out loans like we do in the US? How much would it cost?

I tried looking up some of this information on the Marmara website but was unsuccessful finding very much information.

Umarim yardimci ola bilirsiniz. Thank you ahead of time:Nadir

Foreign doctors are now allowed to work in Turkey provided they meet certain criteria so a medical degree obtained in the US, by a Turk, I think would be accepted. In fact, if you look at a lot of doctors resumes, you will find that they have studied abroad.http://www.hurriyetd...

D=238&nid=14399I will leave it to others to inform you about the application process.

Just a thought. To set up a medical practice after qualification takes a lot of money and I think that you would have a better chance of accumulating this in the US as wages would be substantially higher than in Turkey.

There is also the question of military service which has to be addressed.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I was born and raised in Turkey, but my parents are American. My citizenship is to the United States of America. My culture, however, belongs to Turkey Posted Image. I'm sure you can understand. I moved to America when I was 18 and began working/studying and now that I'm done with my baccalaureate degree, I'm looking into medical programs. I'd like to be in Turkey sooner rather then later though. I understand the time commitment doing a medical degree in Turkey, but I'm more concerned being "allowed" to work.

So, I'm not a dual citizen. Only American, 26 years of age.

Welcome to our forum Andrew. I can only really answer 1 of your questions really, Many foreigners do study medicine at Turkish universities. I looked at the website of the university you mentioned but as you say it doesn't really give much information at all. Maybe you could contact them via email as I noticed an email address.

Not to put a damper on your quest please read the article contained in this link as it may make you think twice about coming here.

I wish you luck and hope you become a doctor whether it's here or in the US. :)

Ah! I wrongly assumed that because you were born and brought up here, that you were Turkish, but as you are American that puts a different slant on things, so you need to take note of that linked article Abi posted.

It doesn't look very feasible for you to train and practise here I'm afraid, but if you train in the US things might change here and it may become possible in the future. I wish you all the best for your future whatever you decide.

Hi Andrew (Nadir?), welcome to the forum! Would it not be possible (if you're really keen on this), to apply for Turkish citizenship, seeing as you were born & lived in TR till age 18, and you can show a link to Turkey? But you'd have to face military service as mentioned above (or buy out of it by virtue of having lived/studied outside of TR for 3+ years), and also be prepared to deal with the conditions of being employed as a doctor here.

Many Turks might think you are a little crazy, however if it's what you really want................ Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

First of all: I'd like to just appreciate all of you for your prompt replies, your thorough attention to the matter and your thoughtfulness in answering my questions. I truly appreciate your time and concern having never met me. I'm probably not to keen on the idea of taking up Turkish citizenship as I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have to revoke my American citizenship as they do not allow their citizens to commit to another countries military service. And this is very understandable.

Insallah bir gün yollumuz ön öne duser ve buluşabiliriz, ya bu dunyada yada cenetde. Sizin icin duam: esenlik ve hakiki sevginin altinda bulunmaniz.

O gune kadar,

Andrwe Nadir Wickwire

As far as I am aware both Turkey and the US allow dual nationality. Certainly Turkey does, as I have Turkish/British nationality and another member, Quinn, got Turkish nationality before coming to Turkey and she didn't mention giving up her US nationality.

That is correct! As I recall, it did used to be that Turkey didn't accept dual citizenship, but this changed (sometime in early 1990's, I believe?). I also have dual citizenship (Turkish & Australian), and my husband shied away from taking up AU citizenship (for fear of losing Turkish), until the change in their laws. Many of our members on this forum hold dual citizenship.

In fact, if you take up TR citizenship you won't even be required to get a TR passport. You can travel freely in & out of TR with just your American passport and Turkish ID card !

I hope you find the way to do what you want! Posted Image