Tv's And Other Electeical Things

Rate this topic

Not sure if I have put this in the correct forum but nevertheless I'm sure you can all help. Met up with my friend the other day and she is hoping to move over to turkey with her husband and son to be bearer to his family within the next 2 years. She had recently, before discussing moving, kitted herself out with a fantastic 50inch tv, new laptop and tablet and a blueray DVD player and it got us thinking. Would she be able to use these over there using an adaptor plug or would it not work?? Obviously all the plugs are brittish, even to charge the laptop and tablet uses brittish plugs so would she be able to take them?? Also would it cost more to get stuff over there rather than buy it once in turkey?? Thanks all :) xxx

There's no problem. UK electrical appliances work on the same voltage as Turkish ones. I always buy my laptops in the UK so that the installed programmes and keyboard are English. I leave the fused UK plug on because I have a UK surge protector (which I recommend having) on which I put a Turkish plug. For tablets and other appliances I leave the UK plug on and use a good quality adaptor or plug them into the four plug surge protector.

She will probably have to pay tax on the TV and I hope another member will be able to give you information about that.

A surge protector looks like an extension lead and it prevents your electrical appliances burning out if there is a surge in electricity, especially during a thunder storm. I would really recommend them for sensitive equipments such as computers as it is not an uncommon occurrence.

I've not heard of anyone paying tax on laptops or tablets, but as Abi says always check just before coming because things can change overnight.

Did you take over anything big swabs, she wants to ship loads over but I would think it would cost more to ship it than to buy it? Electrical things are expensive though aren't they? And cars!! My friend who lives in fethiye bought an old polo and it cost her 9000 pounds and it's about 8 years old :-/ xx

I shipped over a load of stuff when I came here nearly 8 years ago. It didn't cost so much then and if I was doing it again I wouldn't have brought as much. Yes cars are very expensive here, even old second hand ones. The price of electrical items had gone down a lot in the last couple of years.

I think your friend must be married to a Turk so her husband may or maybe not know about the rules for returning Turks needing an IKAMETGAH NAKIL BELGESI from the Turkish consulate if they are shipping goods over from the UK. Ahududu wrote about it in this thread. Because you friend may not be coming here for nearly 2 years as I said before they will need to check what the current regulations are then.

Even though cars are expensive don't even think about bringing one here. There's lots written about it on forums and the consensus of opinion is, it's not worth the hassle. If he's a returning Turk then I think there are different rules for them but he would still need a left hand drive car and owned it for at least 6 months before coming. (When I last looked at the regs)

Thanks for that Info sunny Posted Image good to know! What's a Uk surge protector? Xx

We use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) on each device --- it acts as a surge protector and also :)keeps you online for a short period (about 15mins?) when power is suddenly cut off, to save your work & shut down. :)

That's necessary if you have a desk top but laptops are OK because they have a battery.