Sign in to follow this  
Ladycaza

Working And Living In Izmir

Rate this topic

Yes there are second hand shops in Cankaya.

Get Izmir on Google maps. Find Konak Pier/Alisveris merkez. Go along the road opposite - There is a 'M' on the map. If you turn right at the junction near the 'M' and go along that, up the hill towards Namazgah Mh you will find the shops there.

Good hunting. Posted Image

Well done Sunny. I also found this in a post that Ken made on another thread. Would this be any good for C if she can't find all she needs in the place you mentioned?

If you decide to buy furniture and appliances (or need to) ask around for a "spot shop." They are like pawn shops for furniture and appliances. People get fast money by buying stuff on a credit basis, then immediately sell them to these "spot shops" for instant cash. You can get new and barely used appliances much cheaper here. Most of the spot shops are on Eşrefpaşa Caddesi, go from the main intersection near the hilton towards the ancient agora (it's on Eşrefpaşa) and up the hill. You'll see streetside shops with furniture and appliances all over the sidewalks

Yes, that's the same road I was talking about.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I just saw these posts now! Gutted as I bought a fridge new and second hand cooker and washing machine that have now both broke :(. Not a happy bunny! I still need lamps and rugs and coffee table thou so anymore suggestions would be great!

Same place as before, I think I know where you re taking about, it is past the agora and up the hill?

Yes, that's it. Hope you find some things you like and have more luck with them than with your previous purchases.

Hello every one

I have been thinking about moving to Izmir starting form October as my husband is doing his PhD in Izmir starting from that time.. And I also get a PhD scholarship from Turkish scholarship. But my worry is that:

1. With the 2000 lira pocket money that we get can we live and send our special need 7 years old daughter to special need school?

2. Would it be possible for me to get a part time job out there? I have a BA degree in business administration and a Msc in accounting and finance and I also have IELTS for English language proficiency.

thank you

Welcome Saniyakedir.

I'm sorry to be pessimistic but I think you would find it very difficult to live on 2000tl in Izmir especially if you have to rent accommodation.On top of that to have to add school fees I think would not be possible. You would have to think of three Residence permits and health insurance on top of that.

I'm afraid I can't help with information about a special needs school for your daughter but I don't think one would be easy to find as Turkey's provision in this area is sadly lacking.

DEAD LINK

You didn't say if you were a native English speaker or not but if you were you could possibly get part-time work in a language school.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but if you have more questions don't be afraid to ask.

Hello sunny thank you for your fast responded .I appreciate that .for your question where i am a native English speaker or not I am not but I take IELTS exam that is like TOEFL that prove my proficiency in English language. And the other thing I want to ask you is that what do you mean by "three Residence permits and health insurance” what is it and how do I get it ?

I'm afraid that the IELTS exam wouldn't be enough to get you work as a 'native teacher'

Three RPs and health insurance - you said you, your husband and your daughter so each of you would need a RP and health insurance.

There is information about RPs in this link

Residence Permits

I think the health (travel) insurance you would have to get in your own country before you come to Turkey as you wouldn't be able to join the local scheme until you'd had a RP for a year.

Hi Ladycaza, How is your teaching experience so far in Izmir? My boyfriend has moved to Izmir from Canada and wants me to follow him - so I have been considering teaching english. I also spoke with Wall Street but since I do not have any teaching certificate it didn't go anywhere. How is your school experience, pay, hours, number of days worked, adjusting to life in Turkey basically anything you are willing to share :) I am new to this forum and I cannot figure out how to send a personal message..... K.

Hi KatDoll,

Welcome to our forum. I have just seen your post.

I have American friends living and teaching English in Izmir. They will be glad to share with you their experience and other information about working in Izmir. I will PM you their personal e-mail addresses.

Regards,

Av. Merve Balin

Hi Guys,

Sorry I just saw these posts now! Gutted as I bought a fridge new and second hand cooker and washing machine that have now both broke Posted Image. Not a happy bunny! I still need lamps and rugs and coffee table thou so anymore suggestions would be great!

Same place as before, I think I know where you re taking about, it is past the agora and up the hill?

HI, are you still searching for things ?

i know its quite a time ago.. we want to move far away to Ingiltere and have a bunch of stuff we could/want to sell

dining tables, couch ... maybe a bit too expensive

and other stuff, im quite lazy to write down now

Hi Ladycaza and congrats on your job offer!

Ken, I put in the coordinates and the first one came up around half way between the Pasaport and Alsancak ferry stations. I don't think that is the coordinate you intended?

Ladycaza, I happened to have interviewed at the university in Buca and I have to say, I really liked the neighborhood. It seemed like it was very cozy, with lots of parks and small shops and restaurants, although it did not seem to have a big expat presence, nor did it seem to be the kind of place that has a big night life. But I thought it was a perfectly charming neighborhood. I guess it just depends on what you want.

I think 3000 TL is fine to live off of. I kept records of my spending for a while, to see how much I spent/need to live off of. My average is about 230TL a week, and I am not all that careful, i.e. I was really overworked in the fall and so didn't go to the pazars and ate most my meals out. So that number counts food, eating out, transportation (dolmus rides, bus/metro rides, very occasional taxi rides), incidentals, things like paper towels or soap, bottled water, an occasional movie or Starbucks coffee etc. I do feed the street cats, and at around 5 TL a can it's probably one of my biggest expenses, although it's also one of my biggest joys. It's true I don't drink, so that does cut down on expenses, I think. My phone charges are less than 100TL a month; more like 80. Electric: 85 or so. Internet and TV around 65, I think? My aidat (monthly fees on top of rent) are around 230 and that covers the doorman, trash, my part of the building's utilities, security (and we have lots of security), radiator heat, water, and hot water (which apparently is different than plain water.) I'm gonna take the fifth on what my rent is, because I'm a little ashamed of it. But you can add all that up and see that all the other stuff comes to less than 1500TL. Now that I have more time/am less stressed and am cooking my weekly expenses are about half of what they were, and I still go out for a few meals or for dessert or whatever.

WOW ... u can live with 1500 TL ?

i need to track my spendings but i wish I could live on this aswell.. without rent, i probably need much more as 1,5k ... but my streetcat gets top notch food and a big Bowl with cold mlik on hotty days ;) plus some sausgaes from time to time

we do have the problem they like us so much ... they just ran into our house at any possibility and eat frm pans, bin and whatever they can find :)

strangely i still cant touch them and they look all very fluffy to me ..lol