Sign in to follow this  
Ladycaza

Working And Living In Izmir

Rate this topic

The Borsa (Stock Exchange) is in Pasaport in Izmir, It's within walking distance of both the municipal center (Konak) and the social center of Izmir (Alsancak). It is a great place to be and to work. There's even a ferry port at Pasaport (the neighborhood where the Borsa is) so if you wanted to live across the bay in Karşiyaka, you could take the ferry back and forth to work (about a 15 minute commute). That sounds like a Primo job to me. Congratulations!

Hello again everyone!Thank you all so much for your warm wishes and encouragement. I have emailed the director to ask for the contract to be sent over to me. I have to do 2 weeks training in erenkoy ( Istanbul? just outside istanbul?) and then head down to Izmir. The only problem is finding somewhere to stay! Wall street has said it will pay 50% of my hotel bill for one week but that only gives me a week to find an apartment! I have no idea what are the nice/safe/not too expensive areas to stay in that are close to work. I like walking so would try and walk to work but that might not be an option! Also i really need a furnished apartment but apparently they are like goldust. I'm alittle worried. Any suggestions or tips?Ha ha ha Fil. I'm doing the wall street shuffle as i type this ;-)

Have you any idea when you will be coming? Perhaps we'll be able to help more if we've got a date.I think that you will need to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks so that you can have a look around.Don't forget that emlaks will charge you commission. I'm not sure how much, perhaps Sam or her husband will be able to tell us.You will have to decide how much you will be willing to pay for an apartment.Also perhaps other teachers at the school will be able to give you some ideas once you arrive.

Hi Sunny,I should be in Izmir around 14th- 18th March if i sign the contract. I can only really afford 700TL per month max and thats really at the top end of my budget unfortunately. I have emailed the service manager at the school asking if someone is looking for a roommate for a while but unfortunately nobody is. I did ask for an idea of suitable areas to stay in but it's been less than helpful........ :(

I will have a look and see what I can find tomorrow, although it's a bit early, as places advertised now will be gone by time you get here.I hope that you will have enough money available to tide you over for a few weeks plus an emergency fund?

I was charged 1 months rent as commission when I went through a emlak. Sometimes the owner will ask for a deposit as well which can as little as 1 months rent sometimes more. The law has changed on deposits and it must be lodged in a seperate bank account.

Thanks Abi good to know! yes sunny i have a few £'s saved away for emergency months' living, rent and air fare. Just incase. I have my Aunt in Fethiye so should anything awful happen i can jump on the bus to there and sort things out :)Yes i thought some of the place might be gone but on the plus side their might be more advertised :) that's so kind of you having a look for me i really appreciate it!

Check out this topic:http://www.turkeycen...flat-in-turkey/I've rented probably 15 different places in Turkey, I hope that helps. Alsancak is a nice place to be and you should be able to find a place for less than 700TL easily if you don't mind not having a sea view. If you find a place in Alsancak, you are going to love Izmir.

Hey Ladycaza!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is fantastic, I'm glad things are working out. Sorry I've been off the boards--am back in the States and have been travelling around at that, and so I haven't been on the computer much.

I got your pm and only after I sent it and looked up old threads I'd posted on that I realized who you were. I'm glad you got the job and are moving forward. For the sake of helping others who may be looking at this thread in the future, I pasted in some of my comments from our pm:

[*]I used this link when I was looking: http://www.milliyetemlak.com/

[*]I just did a search for you at milliyet emlak and pulled this for places at most 700TL: http://www.milliyete...700&paratip=1

So you can see you actually have quite a lot of choice.

[*]You will find cheaper apartments the further out you go. For instance, Buca has cheaper apartments than Bostanli. Buca is by 9 September university and I thought it was a cute neighborhood.

[*]You may consider not going with an emlakci because he/she will require a whole month's rent for their service. If your money is tight, this might be a deal killer.

[*]Emlakcis are also a pain because they typically only have a couple apartments to show, and only in their neighborhood. It's not like going to an Apartment Finder in the states, or even walking up to a big complex and asking what's available. The only emlakcis I really know are in Mavisehir, where I live. It's possible they might know of places in Atakent, Bostanli, Cigli, but they are mostly deal in Mavisehir. The lowest rents you'll find there is around 1200TL, so that doesn't seem like a good fit for you.

[*]My friend used sahibinden ("from owner") to find her place. I looked it up and think the link is http://www.sahibinden.com/en/ (she, too, is currently on vacation--it's break time between quarters--and we are only in spotty communication at the moment.) The advantage of this is that you deal directly with the owner and don't have to pay an emlakci for showing you a place.

It took me a good two weeks to find a place to stay, and that was looking at places non-stop. I also had my (Turkish) husband who could talk to the emlakcis in Turkish. I did look at/use a couple websites, most notably milliyet, and met with emlakcis from there, but ended up getting a place through a friend-of-a-friend who was an emlakci. It helped a lot when we started to really hone in on one neighborhood. That focused our search. If you know the neighborhood you want, you can walk through it and look for the big signs that people put in the windows advertising places to rent (kiralık-- satılık means "for sale") and take down their numbers to call. If you have someone who can help you with this, that would be a huge boon. My Turkish is insufficient for this, but I have friends who have told me that I can call them, and they can make such calls for me. If you have someone like that, who knows Turkish and can make calls on your behalf, that would be a huge help if your Turkish is still shaky. If I recall correctly, WallStreet is by the Hilton. Such a centralized location gives you lots of options. You will find that once you get here, you will develop your own ideas about where you want to live. Almost everyone told me the place to live is Karşıyaka, for example, but I just didn't like it there--it was too crowded for my tastes. I preferred Bostanlı (although I didn't end up living there), which is next to Karşıyaka and has more of a neighborhood vibe that I like and feel comfortable with. You could live in either and take the Ferry to Pasaport, like Ken said, then walk the rest of the way--it would be a pleasant commute. I did a search for you for Bostanli for 700TL maximum and came up with this:

http://www.milliyetemlak.com/ilan/arama?kategori=1&durum=1&sehir=3&fiyat=0%2C700&paratip=1&semtler=2565

Few people have helped me as much as Ken, and so I don't want to step on his toes, but like I said, when you come to Izmir you will see what neighborhoods resonate with you. Alsancak seems, to me, to be a party place. Hordes of people go there on the weekends, it's packed/crowded/rowdy. I don't think I would have been happy there, but I can well imagine that for a lot of people, it's a fun, happening place with never a dull moment. That said, many people have told me that they can't see how I could possibly like Mavisehir and that it reminds them of council flats--and you know, I can kind of see that, too. Posted Image And my best friend in Izmir absolutely loves her place, even though it's on the first floor, no bars on the windows, and everyone warned her against moving to her neighborhood. So it sort of depends on you, and who you are and what you like and what you like to do.

Good luck and let us know how things go--

That's a good point. Have you got someone in Izmir to help you get settled in? It would certainly make life easier.

Hello All,Firstly sorry for my non response over the last couple of weeks. Things have moved so quickly that I don't even know where to begin! Firstly despite pursuing me and essentially organising everthing for me and offering me the job Wall street never got back to me with a contract or responded to any of my emails. I have been met with dead silence since around the 11th February. However, I believe in fate and it stepped in in the form of a email from nowhere from a private K12 school in Izmir asking me for an interview. I have no idea how they got my CV but the good news is I accepted the job and arrive on Thursday next week!I still have nowhere to stay but one of the teachers has been so lovely in helping me out and is trying to arrange a flatshare with one of the other teachers at the school for my arrival. As you can imagine i've been so hectic trying to sell all my things ( cooker, car, fridge etc etc) it hasn't quite sunk in yet that I'll be there next week.So again sorry for not responding, you have all been so lovely and helpful to me, and I will definately be back on the next few days to keep you updated :):) :) :)

I'm glad that you've had success and also that the teacher is helping you, that will make life a little less fraught.I wish you good luck and we would love to hear how you get on. :)

Hello Everyone!!!,Just a quick update! Arrived last Thursday and after far too much money spent on excess baggage I'm here!!! School is good, i do like it and the staff are lovely but the kids are abit of a nightmare. Only the 13-14 yrs olds to be honest. I think it's the hormones..... Other than that trying to settle in and pick up from the last teacher who was here.I'm living with one of the turkish teachers in Ogazmeni ( ?) but i'm still loking for my own place. It's a nightmare I've been refused quite a few places because I am a single girl and they won't rent to me! Didin't realise we were in the dark ages here!. However still ploughing on and looking everyday. If anyone hears of anythign coming up in Karisaka or alsancak then please let me know. I was looking into Mithapasa but I've been told all my neighbours will be prostitutes and transvestites...( who knew, i wonder if they get refused rental for being single................). Anyway must dash, but just wanted to say hi again and thanks to everyone for all their help!!C x

Thanks for the update. I'm pleased to hear it's going well so far. Good luck with the flat hunting. Keep us posted. :)

Mithatpasa Cad. is a very long street that goes from Balcova to Konak and certainly not all of it is inhabited by ladies (?) of the night, so you could look there. A friend of mine once rented a flat at Ansansor. The views were spectacular.