Sign in to follow this  
Ladycaza

Working And Living In Izmir

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I have just been offered a job working in a language school in sirinyer and just wanted to ask a few questions. Is this a safe area? Is it expensive? I have been offered 3,000 TL per month and wondered if this was enough to live on comfortably in Izmir?

Also is there a large ex-pat community there, what's the social life like?

Any answers of suggestions are appreciated Posted Image

Thanks Posted Image

As far as I'm aware Sirinyer is OK but I'm afraid I've no idea about the expat community there. I would have thought it wouldn't be very big though, as most of the language schools are in the Konak / Alsancak areas.

I think a lot of teachers meet up in the Eko bar in Alsancak and when I taught in Konak we used to go to the Sembol pub, but that was a long time ago. If you decide to take the job I'm sure the other teachers will be able to tell you where the in spots are.

I think that 3,000 would be a reasonable amount to live on, but of course it depends on your lifestyle.

Good luck. Posted Image

Hi Ladycaza,Sirinyer is on the outskirts of Izmir proper. There is a NATO base there, as well as a university, a horse race track, and a prison. The town around Sirinyer is called Buca. There isn't a lot to do there, it basically has one main boulevard and the rest are secondary side streets. There isn't anything charming or interesting about it. The best place to be in Izmir is Alsancak, that is where all of the nice restaurants, pubs, shopping etc. is. Traffic between Buca and Alsancak is terrible during rush hour, probably not much better during the day, it would probably take you around 20 minutes to get between the two places.Probably the only expats you'd meet in Buca would be military personnel, mostly US, and there aren't many of them. I don't know if they do much socializing off of the base. If anybody wanted to go out at night, they would probably go to Alsancak, and probably live there. From what I remember, housing in Buca is a lot cheaper than it is in Alsancak. While you could find a decent place in Alsancak for around 600 TL per month, you could probably find something similar in Buca for around 400 TL I think. I'm talking about a two-bedroom place, a one bedroom would be even cheaper. So it seems to me that 3000 TL isn't bad at all.If the job is with the university, that would probably be more fun than a job with a private company in Sirinyer, since you can make friends with university staff and students who will probably show you around, not to mention invite you to University events. If it's with a private school, I don't know what that would be like.I haven't heard of Buca being a dangerous area. I lived there years ago and also had a good friend who lived there, she never said anything about it being dangerous either. Probably the main difference is that it lacks the sophistication of the main social center of Alsancak, basically it's just a neighborhood on the outskirts of the town.To see where Buca is, go to maps.google.com. Copy these coordinates exactly: 38.435169,27.140765Paste them into the search box of Google maps and it will show you where Buca is.Do the same with these coordinates:38.435169,27.140765That will show you where Alsancak is.The expat life in Alsancak, and Izmir in general, has really died out over the years. I was just there a week ago and met with an old friend who runs an English school there. We were in the main pub where the expats usually met, and he said that I was the first native English speaker he'd seen in two weeks. Even with the military presence around Sirinyer, I wouldn't get your expectations up about having many expats around.I don't know what your other choices are, but at least Buca isn't out in the middle of nowhwere. Also as you make friends around there, they probably know places to go and will take you along with them.It's really hard to predict what it will be like for you, you might make lots of friends (Turks are very friendly people) and have the time of your life! So take what I say with a grain of salt...

Hi Ladycaza and congrats on your job offer!Ken, I put in the coordinates and the first one came up around half way between the Pasaport and Alsancak ferry stations. I don't think that is the coordinate you intended?Ladycaza, I happened to have interviewed at the university in Buca and I have to say, I really liked the neighborhood. It seemed like it was very cozy, with lots of parks and small shops and restaurants, although it did not seem to have a big expat presence, nor did it seem to be the kind of place that has a big night life. But I thought it was a perfectly charming neighborhood. I guess it just depends on what you want.I think 3000 TL is fine to live off of. I kept records of my spending for a while, to see how much I spent/need to live off of. My average is about 230TL a week, and I am not all that careful, i.e. I was really overworked in the fall and so didn't go to the pazars and ate most my meals out. So that number counts food, eating out, transportation (dolmus rides, bus/metro rides, very occasional taxi rides), incidentals, things like paper towels or soap, bottled water, an occasional movie or Starbucks coffee etc. I do feed the street cats, and at around 5 TL a can it's probably one of my biggest expenses, although it's also one of my biggest joys. It's true I don't drink, so that does cut down on expenses, I think. My phone charges are less than 100TL a month; more like 80. Electric: 85 or so. Internet and TV around 65, I think? My aidat (monthly fees on top of rent) are around 230 and that covers the doorman, trash, my part of the building's utilities, security (and we have lots of security), radiator heat, water, and hot water (which apparently is different than plain water.) I'm gonna take the fifth on what my rent is, because I'm a little ashamed of it. But you can add all that up and see that all the other stuff comes to less than 1500TL. Now that I have more time/am less stressed and am cooking my weekly expenses are about half of what they were, and I still go out for a few meals or for dessert or whatever.

Hi Ken,Thanks so much for such a lengthy response! Can i perhaps pick your brain alittle more? The school has offered me 2,000 TL not 3,000tl for a 160 hour working month. They said they will pay my accomodation for 3 months and I only get one day off a week. I feel this is rather excessive. The school is British Town. I juts wondered if you knew anything about the school, what you thought their employment offer was like and also if you friend who runs an english language school is looking for staff? lolThanks!Hi Quinn,Thnaks for your response also. sadly as I mentioned above apparently it's only 2,000 TL a month. This is not as good as i had hoped for a 160 hour working week :( I think m main expenditure after rent, gas phone,tec would be groceries and my gym membership. I have to join a gym in Izmir otherwise I think I would go crazy! Any suggestions for this?:)Oh Ken, just incase your fieind is looking i have a BSc in Psychology and a CELTA :)

Hi Ladycaza,I don't think this is a good deal.If they were providing you with accommodation full time, and paying your bills, then yes.But for 6 days a week, 40 hrs a week, and you'd still have to find and then pay for accom.after 3 months, I'd say no.Good luck, I hope you find something else.

Hi Ladycaza,I have to agree with Ahududu, 2000TL is completely not okay for a full time job. Factor in that they want you to work 6 days a week and it's a really, really bad deal. Do you have experience teaching or will this be your first job? This week a passing acquaintance mentioned that Wall Street is looking for natives right now. Apparently they are a language school. I don't know anything about them nor do I have a link (I wasn't interested in teaching at a language school and didn't press for more info) She just told me their name and that they apparently are located by the Hilton. Perhaps you could check them out?

2000TL is the going rate for language schools, they are paying 15-20TL an hour. Wall street won't be any better. The offer originally mentioned was not believable, I am afraid.

Ken, I put in the coordinates and the first one came up around half way between the Pasaport and Alsancak ferry stations. I don't think that is the coordinate you intended?

Quinn, thanks for the correction, I've corrected my original post. Try these coordinates:

The area around the university is a pleasant area compared to the rest of Buca. Good to have somebody else here who knows the town, my knowledge is rather dated.

LadyCasa, be sure to search the Izmir forum for Buca, Sirinyer, and other terms, since there is probably other info about Izmir that has already been written. Also I've never worked as an English teacher so my knowledge regarding that only includes what English teachers have told me. We do have a forum for Teaching English in Turkey as well. But I'll definitely help where I can! :)

yes, it's probably the going rate for a language school......but without accommodation it's not really worth it.if you could find cheap and nice shared accommodation it would be better. But I don't hear of any places offering accommodation for their teachers anymore.Do you know how much rents are?

My husband's family lives in Sirinyer/Buca, and I think it's a nice neighborhood. Lots of shops, restaurants, the bazar, several parks, and a subway station, with which you can travel around Izmir. It's a short taxi ride to Konak.

HI everyone,Thanks all so much for posting on this thread! Yes i know 2,000TL is the going rate and is livable on ( i can always do private tuition on the side) it was the huge amount of working hours that they wanted me to do which really made me question how much they value their teachers. 160 hours would be exhausting!!! U right Fil, it's not for consideration. I have however applied for a few more in izmir so hopefully will get something better. Yes, this will be my first teaching position so on top of moving i will have added first day job nerves as well!I did check out Wall street Quinn and sent them my cv but the email to their HR department has pinged back. Very frustrating!Thanks Ken i'l have a look at the teaching section of the forum and see if their's anything i can pick up there. Failing that if nothing suitable comes it looks like i'll have to head to china :(

Unfortunately this is the wrong time of year for vacancies, Propper schools start recruiting for the Autumn in a couple of months.There are a few English language dershanes in the Konak clock tower area, walk towards Alsancak and they're in the last building near the footbridge.

My husband's family lives in Sirinyer/Buca, and I think it's a nice neighborhood. Lots of shops, restaurants, the bazar, several parks, and a subway station, with which you can travel around Izmir. It's a short taxi ride to Konak.

Thanks very much for your correction, I didn't know the metro went out there. That would make it far more accessible than it was when I lived there. It sounds like a lot has changed in the years since!

Call me a coward but you won't catch me going in any Metro over here. There are far too many earthquakes happening every day in Turkey.http://www.koeri.boun.edu.tr/sismo/map/en/index.html

Good luck. I hope it turns out OK. :)

That's great, Ladycaza! Mind you I don't know anything about them, but I do hope it goes well! Glad you got an interview and crossing my fingers that you get an offer you're happy to accept!

Hello everyone!Drum roll please... I have been offered a job by Wall street in Izmir! hurrah! Just trying to finalise a few questions before i decide whether or not to sign the contract with them. Nervous and excited at the same time. Will keep you all posted and no doubt will be calling on you's for help in the very near future! eek! :)

Congratulation. I hope it works out OK for you. I'm sure you will like Izmir.