Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBoy

Salary, Hours, Conditions In Istanbul

Rate this topic

I am thinking of a job in Istanbul. What is the average salary? Do schools provide free accommodation (like they used to), how much would a shared furnish flat cost?How many hours a week would be spent in the classroom? Or perhaps i should say how long lessons are and how many a week on average?Apart from TEFL.Com, EFLbase.com and ESlcafe.com, what are other good sources of info? Craigslist seems dodgy!Thanks in advance.

hey johnnyboy, a lot of that depends on the type of qualifications you have and then on the type of school where you work. your main options are dershanes (small language schools that teach all ages, from children to adults), or private kolejis teaching K-12. Public schools require you to be qualified through the ministry of education and generally don't pay well at all. Universities are another very good option but you've got to have the right education and experience on your CV.

there are a million dershanes throughout istanbul and from what i've heard from people who've worked at them, some are good, some are okay, and some should be avoided like the plague. they offer a wide range of salaries and hours, but i don't know of any that'll make you rich or give you a 9 to 5 weekday schedule. I also don't know of any that offer housing, but i could be ignorant in that respect. there are also lots of horror stories from people who've worked and never got paid, but other people love working in the small language schools. so the best thing if that's where you're headed is to do your homework and talk to people who teach in those schools.

I work in a private koleji, which is much more stable pay-wise and schedule-wise, but can also require a stronger background. you generally need at least a CELTA certificate or equivalent, and many prefer a university degree. classroom hours also depend on the school and the position; i work 24 classroom hours a week, where an hour is 40 minutes, and that includes monitoring a computer lab (which is kind of a waste of time at my campus because the computers are extremely outdated and rarely work properly) and 2 "clubs" (we choose our own club topic). transportation is also provided at many of these schools, depending on your proximity to the servis route. my day, from the time i step on the servis in the morning to the time i step off in the evening, is about 10½ hours, including commute time, and i'm the end of the 40min servis route (first pickup and last drop-off), but my actual time at school is from 830am to 5pm. the salary is generally better and more reliable at a koleji, but that also depends on the school (last year i was paid on time 3 out of the 9 months i was there; now i'm working elsewhere and always paid on time, and sometimes early, and i'll be getting paid over the summer, which i didn't get at the other school). private koleji salaries range from around 2000TL/mo (sometimes less, but rarely) to over 5000 depending on the school and your qualifications, and many of them offer housing as a benefit (or, as in my case, a stipend for housing as an option in addition to salary).

the best advice i can give you is make sure you've got at least the minimum qualifications and spend time researching each school you're interested in. that may not always be enough, as many of us have gone into a job having been promised the world and ended up being stomped on, but sooner or later if you stick with it you'll find one that works for you

now through the end of february is a great time to start looking into private kolejis, it's peak hiring season now. there are lots of them throughout istanbul; something i failed to mention before, if you have a teaching credential there are a few international schools in istanbul as well (Robert College and IICS are the most well known i think) and they require a current credential (so if you have a U.S. teaching credential make sure it's not expired; s'farz i know some countries have credentials that don't expire, but you'll have to look into that on your own), but they are american schools, pay very well, and offer all-english instruction in all subjects.

depends where you're staying. if you aren't picky, it's possible to get a crappy room in a shared flat for under 300TL/mo, but you get what you pay for. i live 30km west of the city in a nice upper-middle class neighborhood (see the link in my signature) and i'm paying 950 for a decent sized 2+1, but a place this size with the amenities included would probably go for at least double or triple that in the city.

Hi Guys,Johnny boy i'm in the same postion as you too. I've been offered a job in istanbul at English lIfe but have heard such bad things about them from an esl forum that i'm not sure i want to take it. I also got offered a job at a language school in izmir but they wanted me to work 160 hours which we all agreed on this forum was ridiculous! From what i can see so far it's really hit amd miss with the language schools. I have been applying to K12 schools as well ( both of the ones suggested by Istanbulwhiteboy) and have heard nothing as yet. I have a CELTA and a BSc ( hons) in Psychology and speak little turkish so I really don't know what else i can do to make myself more attractive to employers :(Happy to share some names of some schools i've come across so far if you want to try your luck with them :)Istanbulwhiteboy - any suggestions to get a more secure K12 / uni job rather than work for some of the sweatshop language schools? :)