Sign in to follow this  
thomasarm

Shipping To Turkey

Rate this topic

Hello All--I had posted a topic on here a few months ago when I first met my (now current) Turkish girlfriend.Well, things are going very well , but I am still in the USA and she is in Turkey. I have some Christmas gifts I would like to ship to her (I know they probably won't make it there in time), but I'm wondering the best way to ship?I found some information from Fedex but one thing that is tripping me up is they say shipment of precious metals is prohibited--I got her a Pandora bracelet and I believe it is Sterling Silver--can I ship this?I would rather be safe than sorry if there's any chance of the items being confiscated and hold onto the gifts until I see her.I'm not sure if I posted in the proper forum--my apologies if I'm in the wrong spot.Thanks a lot for any help!

I've had a hunt around but I haven't found anything useful. I'm not sure that a bit of jewellery would come under the category of shipping precious metals, but if cargo companies won't accept the bracelet (lovely idea), then I think it best to keep it until you can deliver it in person.Maybe someone else has had experience of sending things by cargo?

All I can say is don't ship by US mail. Most recently I had my sister mail a pair of desert boots to me through the mail because it was cheaper than the private cargo companies. It's been six months now and they haven't arrived, and they probably never will. Before that, my sister mailed me two packages and they did arrive, but I never received notice that they were here. After a few months of waiting, I tracked down the Turkish post office to which they were shipped. Turns out my stuff was held at customs, and because I didn't get there within a limited amount of time, the contents of the packages was disposed of.On yet another occasion I wasn't notified that a package had arrived and they sent it back to the States, with postage due. I ended up having to pay another relative the cost of that, and bringing the contents back in a suitcase.I don't know about the precious metals part, but in any case don't use the US mail. Things happen in the transition of packages to the Turkish mail system. With the private companies, they have accountability from shipping to receipt, and it's worth the cost. What irritates me most of all is that somebody, somewhere, is now walking around in my desert boots!

Looking at the weather forecast for most places I think snow shoes would have been a better idea!Other than cards, letters and books I have told relatives not to post things to me here. Too many people have had things 'lost' in transit.

Wow, those are some very bad statistics. I can see that I am not the only one to lose valuable goods. I can also tell you that I will never have anybody post anything to me in Turkey. Use a private cargo company. They are much more expensive, but they account for everything from beginning to end, and you'll get what's sent.

I appreciate the candid advice. I will not see her until April at the earliest so I want to get it to her before then, although she is fine with waiting and will probably give me heck for spending money on the whole thing. She is 0so sweet and will be sending post cards to my family for Christmas, it's good to know that they are likely to get there.

First I'd like to say thank you for the desert boots, they're very comfortable and go nicely with the cashmere jumper, and second y'all're right, either fedex or ups is the best way to go. i'd add dhl, but they're the most expensive of the three.

Can I just remind members that this post refers to companies in the US.

Ok I wish I had read this post before I naively ordered craft and jewellery making supplies, well I guess someone needs to treat the UPS staff too, they will be making cabochon bracelets and druzy Krystal earnings, just in time for Christmas!!! YaaaaY  "look, I told you Santa exists!". 

My package was held at custom, even when it was lower that the threshold which is not over $75 and under 30kg and less that five orders a year ( this was my first and last order). UPS does not pick their phone ( they pick up once and bluntly hung up on me, they never picked up after that)nor do they reply to any emails. They are solely communicating with the sender telling them That I'm not responding to their request, I have emailed them the customs clearance form  over 20 times now, and they deny they have received it.

UPS is no good either, yes the package was super fast it took just 2 days from china to Istanbul but it has been sitting here for a week now, waiting patiently to be "disposed of". 

We after emailing every single email UPS has domestic and international, they wrote me this: 

Quote: 

" Dear Customer,

We tried to clear the shipment with simple an authorization letter but it has been not  accepted by the customs since the package of content so in order to clear mentioned shipment,a noterized power of attorney is needed from you

The power of attorney should by notarized by local Turkish notary. Temporary tax number will be given by local tax office.Or you can release your broker.

It’s completely out of UPS control.

Saygılarımla Regards,"

And they sent me this document as well, I will attache for other members to be informed, I don't really have any hope of getting my parcel ever again.

Vekalet örneği 2017_1.pdf

I wonder if this has to do with it being equipment related to a business. Cukurbagli had a problem like this because he had a big collection of clock-making tools and equipment he tried to bring to Turkey, apparently the government wouldn't believe it was a hobby.

Actually that may not be the reason... it is just my speculation based on what happened to Cukurbagli. If you get this sorted out, would you please let us know what happened? I find that "what happens" is much better indicator of how things are than what various Turkish officials say. :)

Well Ken I  doubt that I will be pursuing this any further, I have zero confidence that if I get the paperwork done, this would resolve and I would receive my rightfully owned supplies. I keep thinking what if I send the forms and then they say  it's "disposed" of .....:shock::shocked: I'm sorry...I don't want to get into the state of ranting about it anymore.... I will definitely inform you if any news arise from this case.