Sign in to follow this  
Louisecos11

Boyfried In The Army...desperate For Advice Please Help!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to turkey central and I really hope someone can give me some advice. I have been with my boyfriend for a year and 3 months, its been a great year we have met each others familes he was getting on great at uni and things were going perfect. However, he has since dropped out of uni and started his national service last week. I haven't heard from him since then and I'm desperate to know when he can call or use the internet? I have tried to ask his family but the language barrier is making it very difficult. Can someone please let me know if they can call during the first 3 months of training? And how often? I haven't gone a day without talking to him before so its really getting me down and I worry about our relationship if we can't talk for 3 months! Plleeeease someone help! Thank you Posted Image

Hi Louise and welcome to our forum. We have a member called Libby who's husband is in the army at the moment who I'm sure will be able to give you a load of advice.Don't panic too much :)

You're very welcome. I'm not sure whether you will be able to send her a message yet as you have just joined. If not don't worry I have just sent her a message letting her know you need some help :)

Thanks a lot for helping abi Posted Image much appreciated!!

Yes if he finished Uni he would have only had to do 6 months servide, he had only completed a year of Uni though and wasnt enjoying it so he dropped out :-/ not the best news I had but I can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do.....I wish he had of enjoyed it Posted Image

Thanks a lot for helping abi Posted Image much appreciated!!

Yes if he finished Uni he would have only had to do 6 months servide, he had only completed a year of Uni though and wasnt enjoying it so he dropped out :-/ not the best news I had but I can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do.....I wish he had of enjoyed it Posted Image

he may be rich or he thinks that you can support him financially ıf you married with him and migrate to your country

He nor I are 'rich'. we plan to live in turkey either denizli or koycegiz close to his family or fethiye where i have a number of friends, there are no plans to live in England and no plans for me to be the financial supporter??? Not sure why money has been brought into it?

He nor I are 'rich'. we plan to live in turkey either denizli or koycegiz close to his family or fethiye where i have a number of friends, there are no plans to live in England and no plans for me to be the financial supporter??? Not sure why money has been brought into it?

nevermind.

he may be rich or he thinks that you can support him financially ıf you married with him and migrate to your country

Turko there was no need for you to make that comment. Posted Image Louise's post is about her boyfriend in the army and not about visa's

Louise, I've sent you a PM.OK... just for the record. I talked to a good friend of mine who was conscripted into the Turkish military. He said it is normal that for three weeks, maybe a month, a new conscript cannot call a girlfriend. It's nothing to worry about. Just give him time to get through what he's going through, and he'll probably call as soon as he can.

Hey girl, I think the whole situation is quite strange. It takes quite a bit of preparation to join the military, it's not something you can do overnight. How long have you known he was joining? Did he discuss it with you first? I've never heard of anyone dropping out of uni to do their military service. Everyone I know who's done it did it before or after. So I'm suspicious about this guy. Details!In direct response to your question, he should be able to call. My boyfriend called me, his mom, and his sister 1 week after he started training. I don't mean to worry you, but I want to be honest!Best,Emily

Hi Emily, it wasn't an over night thing he dropped out of Uni after his first year so he has known all summer he would be starting his service in November. We had talked about it but as he has no older brothers or cousins etc he wasn't really sure when he could call he just said he would contact as soon as he can. He didn't drop out to join the army he dropped out because he didn't enjoy it so he knew when he dropped out that he would have to do his service sooner than we first anticipated. Had he have continued with Uni like you say he would be doing service after but he never finished Uni hence he is having to do his service now. I have read a few things now and been told a few different things but most seem to say give it a month I guess it depends where you are based and how strict the people in charge are, I don't think I should get too worried yet as it's only been 3 days and I'm in contact with his family everyday so I am just hoping the next month or so goes quick so I can finally talk to him :) my friend husband had his phone took off him and I've just been told that a lot of them do so I think I just need to bide my time for a bit but thanks for the advice :)

Hey, my boyfriend is also in military now, and for the 3 or 2 first months they cant have any contact by internet or phone cause they are having special trainings. Anyway, he can write to you letters, there is always a way to have a contact :) but to say the truth, it depends in which part of Turkey he is...

Hi Louise, After your briefing it sounds like you know what's up, and now that he's called it's even better! Wish you two all the best, good luck with your Turk! Going to the army doesn't seem to straighten them out all that much :PThe time will go by fast. You can relax in the knowledge that he has no access to other women for all that time, especially if you are away! :)best,Emily