Louisecos11

Boyfried In The Army...desperate For Advice Please Help!

Rate this topic

I'll take your word for it as you are obviously in the know about prices. Not that it affects me, but I personally don't think your comment in post 24 was very helpful as it may unsettle a lot of girls who's boyfriends/husbands are in the army as they already have a lot to contend with without worrying about such things and would have been better if it had been left unsaid.

Ok, sorry! I didn't mean to say that anybody's boyfriend or husband was off seeing ladies of the night, just pointing out that being in the army doesn't mean there is no access to women. Obviously, as a woman, I don't have first hand knowledge of how much these things cost but are we only allowed to write about things we've experienced directly? Maybe my wording was poor, it's probably not common for guys to do this, but it does happen.However, one of the other things I heard from guys in the army is rumours that their food is laced with some sort of drug to slow down their libido. Don't know how true that is!I`ve been through waiting for someone to do their military service so I do know what it's like to wait and apologise if I upset anyone!

No, we don't only have to write about things we have actually experienced ourselves. I have in the past and will in the future write of things that I have 'heard' bearing in mind how it will affect other people when they read it. Having said that we can all write things without realising that it will upset people which I'm sure is what happened in this case. :)

However, one of the other things I heard from guys in the army is rumours that their food is laced with some sort of drug to slow down their libido. Don't know how true that is!

Well I'm not sure why they would want the soldiers' libido reduced, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was true. I believe recruits are also given a range of vaccinations and not really explained what they are for. Perhaps any young Turk who has been in the army may care to enlighten us (unless it's a state secret) ? Posted Image

Well I'm not sure why they would want the soldiers' libido reduced, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was true. I believe recruits are also given a range of vaccinations and not really explained what they are for. Perhaps any young Turk who has been in the army may care to enlighten us (unless it's a state secret) ? Posted Image

I'd heard this last year, one of my friends told me they apparently give them something, so being me, in December when Kaan came to pick me up from the airport, one of the first things I asked was whether they had to have any injections or tablets for things like that, and he said nothing had happened....he wasn't lying Posted Image

Sorry everyone I didn't know I had anymore comments on this post it didn't come through to my email for some reason! I don't know about the libido thing but I will be asking Cos when he next calls but as for the prostitutes and other woman I have a man I trust with my life so regardless of whether he can go out or not I know he respects me more than that :) Martyna he did manage to call me last week but did say he probably won't be able to for another few weeks so yes I think it does depend on where they are and how strict their officers etc are! Hopefully we will hear from them soon and I hope your finding the wait ok! I'm sure the wait will be worth it for us both :) x

I heard about the bromide thing when I was in the RAF, it's a popular myth. If you look on Google you'll come up with a lot of stories about it.

http://www.abc.net.a.../29/2611115.htm

In fact, back in the 19th century, children of the upper classes were surreptitiously fed salts of bromine to sedate them, and calm down the natural vigour and exuberance of youth.

It was delivered to them via their own personal salt shaker at the table, which was supposedly there as a mark of the children's importance and status within the family, but was really there to keep them quiet, and in their place ('Children should be seen, but not heard?').

So if salts of bromine (the bromides) do have any effect in reducing libido, it's mainly as a minor side effect of their prime use as a sedative.

It's not as though there was a fully alert person with a mysteriously absent libido, but rather you had a sleepy person on your hands.

And in military recruits, the lack of libido is more easily explained by their extreme exhaustion, anxiety, change of lifestyle, and close contact with many other similarly exhausted colleagues.

I can say from personal experience that if "they" did administer it to us it didn't work with any of the lads I joined up with!

Hi Meral, I talked to my boyfriend about the vaccines, there are three vaccines administered at once: meningitis, tetanus, hepatitis b. He said the whole experience was quite terrifying as all three needles are injected at once, 2 on one arm and 1 on the other :o

Hi, I've finished my national service in september. Maybe i can help you with your question.Recruiting process is a bit complex in Turkish Army. Looking at his joining date i assume he is "92/4 tertip" which means he will be in the army for the next 15 months. For new recruits there is a training schedule which lasts 30 to 75 days in a training base.Those bases have telephone boots that soldiers can use. During this schedule they are not allowed to leave the military base. When their training finishes they will be given a one or two day off then they will be sent to their military bases where they spend the rest of the service. At this period they are given a day off (called "çarşı izni" in turkish) once a week. But i can't promise you that because there are bases that gives a day off once a month. It depends where your boyfriend will be send.Although soldiers are not allowed to use cell phones some commanders may tolerate using cell phone. After he finishes his training you can ask him the telephone number of the base that he'll be sent.If you guys have any further questions feel free to ask.

Welcome to our forum blueberet and thank you for explaining, it's very much appreciated. I'd like to say your English is excellent. Is it something you learnt at University?

Hi blueberet :) thanks for the info it helps a lot! yes he is 92/4 tertip. I have only manged to hear from him once at the moment though so fingers crossed I hear from him again soon! And like abi said your English is perfect :)

Sorry everyone I didn't know I had anymore comments on this post it didn't come through to my email for some reason! I don't know about the libido thing but I will be asking Cos when he next calls but as for the prostitutes and other woman I have a man I trust with my life so regardless of whether he can go out or not I know he respects me more than that Posted Image

Martyna he did manage to call me last week but did say he probably won't be able to for another few weeks so yes I think it does depend on where they are and how strict their officers etc are! Hopefully we will hear from them soon and I hope your finding the wait ok! I'm sure the wait will be worth it for us both Posted Image x

Thanks I hope it also! and he is only about a week in military and on his third day there he called me... so now im so happy about it, waiting for the next call :P wish you the best with your boyfriend Posted Image

Hi, I've finished my national service in september. Maybe i can help you with your question.

Recruiting process is a bit complex in Turkish Army. Looking at his joining date i assume he is "92/4 tertip" which means he will be in the army for the next 15 months. For new recruits there is a training schedule which lasts 30 to 75 days in a training base.Those bases have telephone boots that soldiers can use. During this schedule they are not allowed to leave the military base. When their training finishes they will be given a one or two day off then they will be sent to their military bases where they spend the rest of the service. At this period they are given a day off (called "çarşı izni" in turkish) once a week. But i can't promise you that because there are bases that gives a day off once a month. It depends where your boyfriend will be send.

Although soldiers are not allowed to use cell phones some commanders may tolerate using cell phone. After he finishes his training you can ask him the telephone number of the base that he'll be sent.

If you guys have any further questions feel free to ask.

Are they able to take a one month free in their 15 months military service? cause i heard that it is possible, as im planning to come to turkey when he will take it free...

Thanks I hope it also! and he is only about a week in military and on his third day there he called me... so now im so happy about it, waiting for the next call Posted Image wish you the best with your boyfriend Posted Image

Are they able to take a one month free in their 15 months military service? cause i heard that it is possible, as im planning to come to turkey when he will take it free...

yes, legally soldiers have 2 days military leave per month. As things stand your boyfriend have 30 days leave. But most of soldiers prefer not use them all in once (some use 10 days some 20) because unused days reduces the total service time. For example if he uses 10 days he will be discharged from military 20 days earlier.

My husband didnt get any time of over his period, instead he left a week earlier (he only done 6 months) he wasnt allowed to call me very often at all, we spoke once a week, sometimes every 10 days and he never had internet days as he didnt get a day off. I must add that he was serving in Hakkari so it was all due to safety purposes. I hope your time flies by and you get to talk alot to eachother!Its a shame he left university as if he had stayed he could have only done 6 months, max 12 from being a graduate. xx

I know I really wish he hadn't of left :-/ but I guess what's done is done so I just need to try and get through it :(On a plus it gives me a proper good year to get some savings together for when he comes out and we want to get married and me move over there etc xx

my boyfriend left yesterday to do his military service he finished the uni so he only has to do 6 months he told me that the first month we weren´t going to be able to communicate which for me is very difficult since now i´m in my home town México and i´m used to talking to him every single day and night before before bed and sunrise when he left he told me he would give his cell to his parents and now i just wonder how are we going to talk i just want this to go by fast to go reunite at Istanbul, Girls any advice?

Lorena,

I'm sure it will be difficult.  My advise is to use this time to reconnect with yourself.  Keep yourself busy with friends, read a good book (maybe a few of them), keep a journal, start a new project, anything to keep your mind busy.  1 month without communication can seem like forever, but the time will pass if you are productive with it.  

Best of luck to you..

Hello everybody! I am in the same situation like you. I am from Romania. My boyfriend just start military services for 6 months. I understand that i must to wait him 20 days before to can talk to him. after this 20 days, he will call me....and i will find where he is, mean which part of Turkey. I want to ask u, if i write him letters in english, he will receive? its a problem? i understand that before to recevive, the big soldiers must read letters....and if he dont understand maybe he cannt receive. What u know about that? Thank u!

Hello everybody! I am in the same situation like you. I am from Romania. My boyfriend just start military services for 6 months. I understand that i must to wait him 20 days before to can talk to him. after this 20 days, he will call me....and i will find where he is, mean which part of Turkey. I want to ask u, if i write him letters in english, he will receive? its a problem? i understand that before to recevive, the big soldiers must read letters....and if he dont understand maybe he cannt receive. What u know about that? Thank u!

Hi, Almost 45 days passed since the last enlistment and the boot camp period already finished. Its a rare thing today that soldiers receiving mails and considering your mail is from romania its very unusual. I think there wont be any problem as long as you dont talk about Turkish PM and his goverment or else you'll get your share from non-lethal dose of Tayyip cencorship.  just write the address in turkish and your mail surely going to reach its destination and then pray that his commanders are reasonable men so your bf wont end up charged with being a romanian agent :) 

Posted Image Thank you for your answer. I hope its not a problem how u said. I just want to write him letters to pass fast the days for us. But i dont want to create him a problem or something. U tell me that its not normal to receive letters there? If i can communicate with him on e-mail , once /week it will be easier, but will see...I hope that u joke with romanian agent Posted Image . How is there? in army?Its hard? I think u had some activities....

Hello there,

If he is doing 6 months then he has finished his University and is an Officer - they have an easier time and is probably in some office in one the major cities.

The Turkish military is quite modern and many Senior Officers speak English - so no need to worry

GDB

Yes, indeed he have finished the university...he is doing the military service for another reason. I hope to be in one big city to be easy for me to visit him. Thank u all for answers...Now i must to wait to pass these 20 days without connection and then, i can find more from him! Have a nice day!