abeanr

Just Received Orders To Izmir

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. My husband is in the Air Force and just received orders to go to Izmir. I see that there have been a few other posts like this but they it looked like they were a few years old.I wanted to see what all you guys could tell me about having an assignment in Izmir; things to bring, housing, car info, etc.My husband is thinking about tradeing in one of our vehicles, before he goes, for a Jetta TDI that has a diesel engine. One of our questions is do they have diesel readily available at the gas stations over there?Another big question is how hard is it to find housing there? Are the prices reasonable?Our plan is not to really bring a lot with us except for a laptop maybe. Is there anything that we need to bring that we can't get over there?Also, does anyone have any information on whether or not spouses can accompany the military members to Izmir?Thank you in advance for your help!Ali 

Hi Ali and welcome to our forum. I was just looking at a post where it says the Izmir is an unaccompanied posting here is the link and is written on the last page. Diesel can be found at all gas station but prices of diesel and gasoline are expensive. Someone else will be able to give you prices.Housing shouldn't be hard to find but don't know what you think a reasonable price would be? Here is a link to another members post about apartments. Quinn is an American lady who is living in Izmir and arrived recently. Here is another link which you may find helpful.If you are bringing cell phones with you they need to be registered within 30 days of arriving in Turkey.We do have American members who live in Izmir and will be able to tell you what you won't be able to find here.Winters can be cold and wet so bring sweaters with you and maybe an electric blanket as not all properties have central heating.I'm sure other members will give you more advice. :)

Another place you could take a look is in our Incirlik forum which had info about military personnel. http://www.turkeycen...incirlik-forum/As Abi said you have to register cell phones at an official service provider shop - Turk telecom, Vodafone or Avea but before you go there you have to go to your local tax office and deposit 100tl and take the receipt with you, along with your phone and passport.To give you some idea of renting prices take a look here. http://www.sahibinden.com/kiralik. Look at the lefthand side of the page and scroll down until you find 'Tum Sehirler' (all cities) chose Izmir and then go down to 'Fiat' (price) and put in the minimum and maximum you want to pay and then click on 'ARA'Have your dictionary ready.Just another thought, you'll want a furnished apartment so where it says Kiralik Katorgorisinde put EŞYALI (but don't click on the 'Ara' next to it) then carry on with the above instructions.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will show this information to my husband. Does anyone know if there are places to rent a vehicle over there? We are still debating on weither or not to bring a car.

There are plenty of places to rent a car in İzmir you will find them everywhere. Prices to rent are normally pretty cheap out of season but during high season the prices can get a bit silly.Good luck with your move. x

You'll find Izmir to be a place where you can find just about anything you need. You can even rent a car from MWR if they have one available, at excellent prices. The housing office has listings of places for rent, but these can be actually more expensive since the landlords know how much you have for housing allowance. You can go out on your own to find a place as well, just make sure you take your contract to the housing office before signing, because you will need to add additional stipulations to the contract since you will be with the military. Make sure you run any contract by the housing office. You'll get all of this in your briefing when you arrive. There is also a family assistance office there whose job is to make sure your move goes smoothly. I think you'll find that the apartment you'll be renting will be far nicer and spacious than what you would have in the States... really the whole assignment is an excellent one, and a lot of people try to extend their tours there.I don't know if Izmir is accompanied or not these days, I don't think it is, but that wouldn't stop you from going, it just means you won't get the additional support as with an accompanied tour.There are tons of photos of Izmir in the galleries, look in the Aegean Turkey section for Izmir. It will give you a good idea of what the city looks like. It kind of reminded me of San Diego or New Orleans in a lot of ways.

I too am on OMW to Izmir in the Spring of 2013. I'm extremely excited about this move, opportunity and experience. I've lived overseas a few times in my career. So I'm confident about making the transition and move. I do of course have questions about places to live, transportation (buying a car there) and about taking trips from Izmir to the surrounding areas.

No diesel or gas in Turkey, you can buy donkey food on every corner... when you arrive in Turkey you get 2 donkeys for 1 month and than later you rent a donkey or buy one

Furniture you need to build by yourself, there is also no electricity and internet in turkey .. so dont bring laptop ... we communicate with drums

Posted Image

im joking of course, why we shldnt have ready diesel ?

you will find a very lovely place to live ... plus izmir is the most friendliest city in turkey ... what i heard and from my own experience

To new folks on their way to Izmir for the first time:  Izmir is a modern city with a lot of things to do.   It has a main park in the center of the city by Alsancak and Basmane.   Down the road they have Ege University (Aegean University) in the suberb of Bornova.   If you are going to be assigned to NATO you either going to work at SIXATAF, LandSouthEast (LSE), or at the main alternate war headquarters at Disko Hit which is just past Bornova inside of a mountain that can withstand a 10kt direct nuclear hit.   Izmir used to be the home to the 1141 SAS (Special Activities Squadron) but I believe they're no longer around.   There is plenty of scuba diving in Cesme, Kusadasi, Gumuldur, or at Milli park.   I did countless wreck dives over there on sunken Ottoman, Roman, Greek, Phonicean, and Turkish ships.   Air bagged up a lot of stuff that had to clear customs to take out of the country.   The basic rule was that if it was more than one of kind thing from the ship we were allowed to own it.   If it was a rare item it had to stay in Turkey.   Well - good luck !

I see you like Izmir as much as I do! I hope you don't mind me tagging on to your info... Regarding customs, for military, everything you ship in comes in free, including customs tax free. The main condition is that whatever you bring in to Turkey, you have to take back out when you leave. This will be on your beyanname, or customs declaration, which will be created when your stuff arrives. On it will be listed everything you shipped in. The main issue is with electronics. Definitely don't sell them, give them away, or throw them away, because when you're packing out, if you don't have them, they will be considered to have been imported, and you'll have to pay a customs tax which is ridiculously high.

I had an old cheap table-top stereo I brought in to the country when I was at Incirlik. When I left, the customs guy looked on his list and asked me where it was, but I had given it to my landlord's son! Thankfully he was right downstairs, but embarrassingly admitted that he had sold it. His father, my landlord, told him to go and buy it back and bring it to me, which he did. So I got by on that one. I don't remember what the customs tax would have been, but wow, it was like five or ten times what it was worth! They also check the serial numbers, so you can't just go get another one and tell the customs guy it's the one you brought in.

Monte, one recent development you might not have heard of.  Last time I was in Izmir, they had installed a new tramway, called the İZBAN. It's a light-rail train which goes to many locations, including Buca, if you work on the NATO base but want to live in Alsancak and not drive back and forth. It also goes down south to Selçuk if you want to go to Ephesus or get a lot closer to Kuşadası, and all the way up north to Foça and Ayvalık, which are beautiful seaside towns for a weekend getaway. The are now working on a line from Ayvalık to Bergama, where the ruins of Pergamon are. They also have an extensive metro line which crosses it and services other locations. So if you come in to the airport and need to get to Çankaya or Alsancak, you can get on the İZBAN at the airport, change to the metro at Hilal, and ride the metro into Çankaya.