Sign in to follow this  
Vic801

Lord Of The Dance

Rate this topic

Just thought I would share this funny experience with you.

We have a friend who has a guesthouse in Urgup just next to a school. Her guesthouse has a lovely shaded flowered courtyard where it would be very pleasant to sit out were it not for the repeated metallic renderings of "Für Elise" from the school opposite, at various intervals of the day.

However we were having lunch with her and a Turkish friend when suddenly the crackle of the loudspeakers made me anticipate the dreaded mind-grating "Für Elise", but to my surprise we were treated to a 30 second burst of some sort of Turkish folk song. I asked our friend what that was and she told me that now there were different excerpts of various music throughout the day.

This sounded like a major improvement to me and had apparently been imposed by our AKP mayor. Throughout our lunch we had several of these outbursts, each with different selections of music, although none of us could work out what sort of timimg or class change this could correspond to (13.00, 13.20, 13:45 ?????)

It was the 14:10 song that killed me - suddenly we got a full blast a full minute and a half of "Lord of the Dance"! And after I had finished choking and snorting out my red cabbage (I don't recommend snorting red cabbage through the nose), I sang along to my fellow-guests' delight:

Dance, dance, wherever you may be

I am the Lord of the dance, said He

And I lead you all, wherever you may be

And I lead you all in the dance, said He

I danced in the morning when the world was young

I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun

I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth

At Bethlehem I had my birth

and further verses go on with bits like:

I danced on the Sabbath and I cured the lame

The holy people said it was a shame

They ripped, they stripped, they hung me high

Left me there on the cross to die

Unfortunately my audience was unforgiving since the irony of this was lost one them - 1 Swiss, 1 French, 1 Turkish, so I wiped the remains of the red cabbage off my T-shirt as I pathetically tried to translate some of this joyous moment but was force-fed fed yoghurt and pekmez (apparently the panacea for this type of red-cabbage-induced hallucination).

But I swear it was "Lord of the Dance", I'll hang out afternoons until it plays and I'll tape it for you because it really was!

:D :D :D What an amusing story Vic. I must admit it would be nice if they did change the tunes rather than have the same one all the time. Around here it used to be "Für Elise" but now it's "The Cuckoo" but any tune gets monotonous with repeated playing.

It was hearing a Christian hymn blaring out over the lousdpeakers which finished me off !!Sunny, I don't know "The Cuckoo". Is that the Saint Saens music?Abi, I would scream at Jingle Bells!!! One of the blissful things of living in Turkey is not having to hear that for months before Christmas so if I had to hear that in the summer I think I'd be going crazy!

Well on Digiturk at Christmas they have a channel that plays Christmas Carols and music.

Aston, thank you for the video, it is great! I must admit I am a Michael Flatley fan - reminds me of the days when we used to stick bottle tops to the soles of our shoes and do "tap-dancing" in the playground because our mothers wouldn't let us go to tap-dancing classes because it was common.Fil that is very interesting information about the song, I had stuck in my mind the common belief that it was a song written by Syndey Carter.I shouldn't be surprised by things which happen in Turkey but next time if I hear that state-run school blaring out "Soul of my Saviour" or "Sweet Sacrament Divine" I might be allowed to be a little surprised!