Aston

Buying Clothes In Turkey

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I love clothes, shoes and bling Posted Imageand when I think of living in Turkey full time the biggest problem for me is buying decent clothes !

Now I leave clothes in Turkey so I don't have to bring case loads of stuff each time I come , well that's the idea Posted Image I find a lot of Turkish clothing to be over priced and poor quality, The sizes are also much smaller than the UK. I suppose I could shop on Ebay or online.

How or where do you ladies buy your clothes?

chalapip likes this

I strongly disagree with u that they all are low quality.Turkey has got a very good stuff in terms of clothes.Am sure you've not been to the right place. The good qualityOnes are expensive. Find out where u can get the good quality Clothes in ur area there.

Aston and Goreme1990 like this

Aston where are you thinking of living in Turkey? I agree with Oldfunmi you can buy good quality clothes here and you will have no trouble buying designer clothes in the larger cities in say Istanbul etc, but they will be expensive. The other alternative is to buy the material, there are loads of material shops. You can then pop along to a dress maker armed with a photo and get it made up, it won't be expensive.Just remember if you order things from the UK you have to pay tax on anything that is valued over 70 Euros. Tax will be 17% on not just the excess but the whole amount.

Goreme1990 and Smrtaha like this

The other alternative is to buy the material, there are loads of material shops. You can then pop along to a dress maker armed with a photo and get it made up, it won't be expensive.

Istanbul will be the nearest city for shopping, Going to a tailor was how I had many of my clothes made when I lived in the middle east, I am not looking for Chanel or Dior clothes but copies will doPosted Image

Plenty of M&Ss around Aston. :D

Plenty of M&Ss around Aston. Posted Image

At super dooper Marks expensive prices Posted Image

Thanks for the links greenstein Posted Image

I usually save up and go when I go back to the UK. If I do need to get stuff here, I find Koton, Debenhams and Collezione the best places.

When we're in Izmir, I love having a look round the shops, especially in Sirinyer, because they're good quality, fashionable clothes but at affordable prices. But when we're in Altinkum - anyone who has been will know this shop - there's a shop down on the beach front called Bagaj. They get clothes in from the UK, and I've been able to buy many nice clothes there and it's all pretty cheap - 10tl for t-shirts, 25tl for dresses etc. There's also another bagaj up near Carrefour on Ataturk Boulevard but they never seem to have as much in there as the other one. Plus next to the bagaj down by the beach, there's another good shop where I got the most amazing maxi dress from last month! So that's what I'm going to be doing next year, just take my winter clothes with me when I move back, plus a few summer things like dresses etc, but then buy a whole new wardrobe of summer clothes from Turkey once summer arrives and the shops get new stock in. I think it's just all about knowing where to look and actually giving a few of the shops a chance to have a nosy :)

You can often find 'named' clothes on the markets that are OK for everyday wear and sometimes posh stuff.

I find Turkey a much better place to find clothes for my tummy.Also I like the fact that Mavi Jeans etc...will turn your jeans up when they're too long. The little side street trouser sellers are great for me and good quality.

Goreme1990 likes this

I'm not too much of a fashion freak, but quite happy with what I find in Turkey -- and yes, it's reasonably cheap. Not complaining.Posted Image

See that's the great thing about Turkey...I can buy something two sizes too big or way too long for me, walk for about 2 minutes and find a tailors who will turn it up or take it in for about 3TL!!! Kaan is a massive fan of buttoned up shirts - obviously not plain white ones, got to be stylish :P - and he always takes them into the tailors to get them taken in so they show off his body more.Needless to say, he got a little tummy on him last year and two of those shirts are now broken as the buttons would pop off whenever he sat down! Think he's learnt not to take them in too much anymore lol!

There'll come a time when the comfort of looser clothes will become more important than looks, hehe! Posted Image !

Ain't that the truth Posted Image

Ha ha!!! Probably for Kaan, that'll be a long way off!! He sometimes takes longer to get ready than I do...but until his hair grows back once he's finished the army, we won't be fighting over the straighteners!! LOL.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. In the US, its so easy to find cheap, good quality stuff. Second-hand stores are widespread, so you can do a favor for the environment (and your wallet!) by buying thrift. I've been un Istanbul for 2 years, and I can honestly say that I hate shopping here. For the fashion conscious, it is a HUGE waste of money and more than half of what I buy falls apart. ESPECIALLY shoes. I totally understand now why some girls I know here have like 3 closets worth of clothes. If you wear the same thing more than 10 times, chances are it will develop a hole, tear, or other misfortune.That said, I seriously cannot help you. I've combatted the clothes shopping thing here by always accepting hand-me-downs from my friends and co-workers. Better quality and usually free. :)

If you are a fashion freak, there are several famous stores like H&M, Bershka, Zara, Mango etc. and these are less expensive than the ones in Europe. Also, the number of shopping malls are increasing rapidly which enables you to find lots of stores together. 

But if you want something cheaper, there are lots of small stores too. Especially in Kadıkoy and Taksim area, if you check online, you will find the locations of them. There is no size problem because we have xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl, xxl sizes and I think it means a lot of alternatives :) In these kind of small stores, you can also negotiate the prices and pay less, if you are persuasive and persistent  enough :) 

Ken Grubb likes this

who needs new when u can find nearly new /2nd hand :-))) its how i feed my wardrobe on a budget....oh how i miss the uk charity shops soooo badly!! ebay also priceless :-)

Sunny and Ken Grubb like this

I can't afford to buy cheap clothing.

When I go to the states, I always take a big empty suitcase, and buy clothes there to bring back to Turkey.  I prefer to buy in the US is because the quality standards seem to be very high (even if it is manufactured in Central or South America!).

Generally, when I have bought clothing in the US, it has lasted three or four times longer than clothing I have bought in Turkey. And I don't have to worry about things like zippers malfunctioning, seams coming apart, or buttons falling off. I'm not saying that all clothing in Turkey is manufactured to less than a high standard, I'm just saying that I have more confidence if I buy it in the US.

In Turkey, for the higher-quality stuff, you need to go to a name-brand store like those in a shopping mall.

I assume Las Vegas is a lot more expensive than other places, since prices in the US can vary a lot depending on where you are. In the past I've found the prices in the US (Pennsylvania, Maryland) even cheaper than in Turkey, except for lately because of the huge increase in the value of the US dollar against the Turkish Lira.

greenstein likes this

Try the outlet stores at Deepo , good value and convenient if you are going to the airport.

It depends on the stores and the brands. Generally, I find the quality to be the same as in my native country. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes the same prices. I buy a lot of clothes in Turkey because I want to display my back (almost impossible to find back-focused clothes in my country) and I also want work clothes that are modest yet not boring and old lady like. I guess I buy equally clothes in the two countries. No matter where I buy, I look at functionality and compare prices. I don't buy clothes in the market, as my boyfriend has warned me against it (I buy tops and underwear, but the quality is not good on other clothes). I like to brouce at LC Waikiki. Clothes are also a bit dependant on weather, some of the clothes that are functional in my country are less so in Turkey. Especially in summer I prefer to buy clothes in Turkey, as there is not such a good selection of summer clothes in my country due to our short summers.