Sign in to follow this  
libbyxoakdogan

Toros Otel

Rate this topic

So we've decided we're definitely going back to Altinkum next year instead of Marmaris. Altinkum is a home to us, it's been my home for 4 years and Kaan's for about 8. We know everyone and all the bars etc, so we'd rather go back there then try somewhere new...we'll stick to holidays in Marmaris for now lol!! :)Kaan and myself have both been offered jobs at Toros Otel for next year. Kaan is definitely taking it, but I'm going to think about it...but as I'll be working alongside Kaan again - same as last year at Garaj Bar - then I'll probably end up taking it! :) The boss, Mehmet, is also a very good friend of ours and has wanted Kaan to work for him for years so he's finally giving in :) We've decided to take this job, as we also get a room at the hotel which will be ours during summer - it's open April to September - and even though it means living in a hotel next year, it saves us having to pay rent so we can just save up our wages in Kaan's bank ready for winter, and as long as we have a bed, shower and of course wi-fi it's fine :D Haha. Plus we get 3 meals a day given to us, which will save us even more money, so we'll only have to pay for food if we want to go out for a meal once we've finished work.We'll get finished at 8-9pm which is fantastic, no more waiting until 3am to finish work and finally go home!! It also means we can have the evenings to ourselves and do things like going out for a meal, going to the bars, clubs etc or just spending time watching a film in the room which will be really nice :) So basically...I'm not here to waffle on about next year LOL, I'm here to recommend this hotel to anyone who is wanting to come for a holiday next year in Altinkum and wants to find a nice hotel. The pool has the sun on it constantly all throughout the door, as does the whole sun bathing area which is perfect for getting that tan to make everybody back in the UK jealous when you get back :) You get breakfast every morning between the hours of 8-10. There's wi-fi, a computer downstairs in the lobby that can be used by anybody staying there, a free pool table and a play area for children outside. It's on the opposite side of the road from Meryem Ana Hotel, on the same road as Chill Out Bar, Star Bar and two doors away from Ambience Bar. A nice walk into the beach, following the road round to get straight to Dolphin Sq which will lead you onto the beach. Approx the walk takes about 2-3 minutes :) If anybody wants to know prices for months etc, just PM me and let me know. Also, if you're on FB, the hotel has a group page so I can send you the link to that, and you'll find all the info on there. One major reason you should come to this hotel next year?! To see me and Kaan, obviously ;):D

Libby I don't want to be a wet blanket but you said you will be working at this hotel, will the owner be providing you with a Work Permit? Even if you worked there before without one and nothing happened, you can't be sure it won't in the future. It only needs one person to complain to the Police, and if some does you will be deported within 24 hours and won't be able to return to Turkey for 5 years.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but whilst employers will tell you there won't be a problem, the reality is that 100's of people are deported every year for working illegally in Turkey. Even though you are now married to a Turk doesn't mean you can work. If you wait until you have been married for 3 years and then apply for Turkish Citizenship, once you have got that working won't be a problem.

Abi. is right Libby. I was thinking as I read your post, what type of work would you be doing that would allow you to have a work permit, You really need to speak to the owner of the hotel and talk to him about the work permit.I think its unrealistic to wait three years until your are a citizen to work but you do need to find a legal way around this problem.

This is why I've said maybe I'll work. I'd just be helping round the pool, but I said this to Kaan when we were thinking about going to Marmaris, it was different at the bar last year because whenever the police came past, I just sat down and made it out like I was a customer, I didn't want to risk it there. But obviously at the pool, I'd look odd sitting there "sunbathing" fully clothed Posted Image

Don't worry, I know all about the risks...my excuse to be a lady of leisure Posted Image

But whether I work there or not....I'll still be there every day, because I'll be sat round by the pool with friends or sat in the lobby with Kaan - that's basically all he'll be doing, especially when it's not busy lol - so you all still know where to find me if you're in town :D

Many hotels are employing foreigners legally. The cost of the work permit is not very high, either. The main trouble is the usual paper chase, but if the hotel is amenable, it should be possible for them to employ you legally. At least it is worth a try? That must be better than looking over your shoulder all the time.

Well as he's a good friend of ours, and he too is married to an English lady - who used to be my hairdresser! - I can mention it to him and see what he says. But I don't mind being a lady of leisure and let Kaan do all the work :P

Libby, we stayed here in 2009, the year we bought our apartment. We enjoyed our stay here with its close proximity to Dolphin Square and the beach. It is fair to say that it is in a very good position for families as well as couples. Obviously it has changed ownership since then but wishing you and Kaan all the very best for 2013.Les

Oh did you? Well, I would say hope to see you next year, but with an apartment, you don't normally need to stay in a hotel lol :P:) But thank you! :)

Libby, it is a possibility we could stay at Toros in the future as we no longer have said apartment, having sold it some five weeks ago. We are now based back in the UK.Les

Aw are you? Well next time you're in Altinkum definitely come and stay there :) Even though the boss has changed - pretty sure he bought it last winter - it still has very high standards :)