Sign in to follow this  
libbyxoakdogan

Changing Name On Passport At British Embassy Izmir.

Rate this topic

Hello!! Well got some great news....

Kaan has been discharged from the army today after he broke his finger which means no more army for us - 4 months early, yay!! :D This also means I'll be moving out there after the 10th November, once my current visa runs out.

I was just talking to my Mum and she said I can change my name on my passport at the British embassy in Izmir. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Because I really want to change my name on my passport to my married name, but I don't want to go out to Turkey and not be able to get it done until I come back next Christmas! If you can do it, anyone know how long it takes to come back and how much it will cost? We'll be in Izmir until April, so got plenty of time lol :)

Libby that is fantastic news. I'm just imaging a lot of girls reading this will be telling their men to break their finger so that they to can get our of the Army earlier hehe

Unfortunately the answer to your passport question is no. We haven't been able to go to the British Consulate for I think it's a couple of years now. A new system was put into place where we have to sent our passports off to Germany. Your best option is to do it in the UK it will be cheaper and quicker. As you won't be moving here until after the 10th November I suggest you use either use Fast Track or go in person to ensure you get it done in plenty of time.

When does your passport expire? If your passport is only valid for say 8 or 9 months that's how long your RP will be valid for, so it would be a good idea to get a new passport at the same time.

Fast Track one-week service

This service guarantees delivery of your passport by Secure Delivery within one week (excluding bank and public holidays) of you applying.

The guarantee applies only if you:

[*]supply your completed form and all supporting documents to IPS at the agreed appointment

[*]are in to sign for delivery of the passport if required

This service is not available for a first adult passport.

Premium one-day service

The Premium service is a guaranteed service in which you deliver your application and collect your passport on the same day. It's available on weekdays for appointments before:

[*]4.00 pm in London

[*]1.30 pm in Liverpool

[*]1.00 pm in Peterborough

[*]12.30 pm in Glasgow and Newport

[*]12.00 noon in Belfast and Durham

And on Saturdays for appointments before 11.00 am.

The waiting time for your passport will be four hours from when the application is accepted and the cashier gives you a receipt.

This service is not available for:

[*]a first adult or first child passport

[*]extending a limited passport

[*]replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport

[*]making several or complex changes to your existing passport

Changing the name on your passport can usually be done using the Premium service. If you are unsure, call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 and explain the changes you need.

Link

Libby that's wonderful news that you can be together with Kaan. Changing your name and passport in the UK is straight forward. I am surprised you had not done it before now. Posted Image

Thank you Abi! Yeah, I was going to send it off the normal way...

I looked again last night, and it says 3 weeks instead of 6, so after the 3 weeks I can start tracking it to see how long it takes, but my Mum said they should give me a rough date of when I'll get it back so at least I can go ahead and book a flight, giving myself enough time for my passport to get back. And yeah, I was saying yesterday there'll be an outburst of broken fingers in the armies across Turkey now lol! And Aston, I'd given myself a month to get everything ready...this month would have been my passport, November would have been booking my flight and then December and January would have been getting everything else ready...but that plan has gone out of the window and has to be rushed, not that I'm complaining or anything :P:)

That is wonderful news for you. I agree that to get your name changed in the UK is much easier now that everything is sent to Düsseldorf from Turkey.

Try not to get in too much of a tizzy trying to get everything done before November. :D

Ah I'll try my very best not to Sunny, but I think you all know me too well by now....

I get worked up and worried about EVERYTHING hehe :P:)

I have actually got a couple more questions :) 1) Anybody who has changed their name on their passport in the UK, it says on the website it takes about 3 weeks...how long did it take for you? 2) If I didn't change my name on my passport this time around, and when I apply for residency, will that cause me a problem? Or is giving them the wedding book enough, to prove that we are married?

Libby if you are worried about the time scale just use the Fast Track where it will only take 1 week. If you are going to get an RP you should have the passport in your new name as it say in the RP book that you should notify them with 15 days of a name change. So, as you have already changed your name it makes sense to get your passport seen to whilst you are in the UK, then you will have nothing to worry about when you apply for your RP. It will be cheaper to have it done in the UK as well.

I would get the fast track, it's just the price of it. I can hardly even afford to get it done normally, let alone paying about £40 extra to get it fast tracked - going to Turkey last month took everything from my bank lol! But I think I'm going to need to do that. At the minute I'm feeling really down, and I'd rather go over there in the next couple of weeks on the same visa and just get my residency done straight away rather than wait for this current visa to run out. Just one of those days.

It's a lot cheaper to get it done while you're in the UK .

http://ukingermany.f...ply/turkey#much

For the UK prices look at the following link.

http://www.direct.go...tions/DG_174109

As long as you apply for a RP while your visa is still valid it doesn't matter if it runs out before you get your RP. Anyway , if you are in Izmir it doesn't usually take long, about a week to ten days if everything is in order.

I might look at doing the fast track service then. I really just need to get back out there, no point in waiting 5 weeks if I don't need to :)

Sorry to hear you are down Libby, but it will save you money in the long run, you will be able to cross it off your to do list and it's something less to worry about.

Your red wedding book is an Internationally recognised document as there are translations at the back of the book in several languages including English.

Chin up Posted Image

Ah thank you Abi :) Just one of those days. But it's exactly 5 weeks now...or should I say 4 weeks and 6 days, so it sounds even better!!! LOL :)

Change of plans again...

Kaan is still getting out early, but after going back to the hospital today, they've told him to wait 1 month and a half, then on the 10th December he's going to have an operation on his finger, spend a week in the hospital and then about a week later he'll be going back to Izmir and for good! I like how the doctor and the army council think sometimes though...if he has an operation in December, by the time he goes back to Izmir and gets another 30 days off, there'll be no point in him going back at all, so they'll just discharge him.

He's back to the council again on Wednesday to make sure everything is definite, and then hopefully next week I can hand in my notice and get a flight booked, so at least I'm all sorted! Even though knowing our luck, plans will change again.....only in Turkey!! :P

At least you'll have more time to get your passport sorted and get other things organised.

Definitely! Somebody on facebook got their passport back yesterday, and it only took 11 days, so it would be good if mine took the same :) Not that it matters right now, got plenty of time.