Sign in to follow this  
shark34

Maternity

Rate this topic

Ladies, I would like to ask you a question.....im pregnant and wonder if after having our baby will the goverment pay us child care support or not? im EU citizen my husband is Turkish. Moved to Turkey in May 2012.Thanks for your advise.

Shark I think it depends on whether your husband is covered by Sosyal Guvenlik Kurumu - SGK and how many payments have been made. Your husband should go to your local SGK office for information.

If you do find out maybe you can post any information as it will be helpful to other members. :)

I seem to remember my husband employed someone a couple of years ago who's wife had a child and had to pay him extra money. But really Sharks husband needs to contact SGK.

Hi Abi, thank you for your comment. I am covered with his insurance and we will speak to them to find out. One more question, how long you stay in hospital when giving birth? Is ist possible to get private room in the hospital? thx

People that I know seem to be out of hospital very quickly, even if they've had a Caesarean You could probably pay for a private room, it depends on the hospital and what facilities they have.

Some of the public hospitals dont acutally let your husband be with you for the birth or something just as simple as a ultrasound :) they didnt allow my fiance to come in with me for a ultrasound scan or his mother, alot of people where i lived went private because then you seem to be able to do what you want but its paying for a private hopsital.. every scan i had in turkey i went to a private hospital so my fiance could be with me and see the baby, the doctors want you to have a ultrasound every month to check developments on the baby.. well they did with me dont know if anyone else has had any experience.. you just need to be careful with the private hospitals too i went to 2 to find out how much appiontments are and so on, there was one hospital dont know if anyone will of heard of it Sekiz Eylul Ozel Hastanesi and they wanted to charge me something around 90 tl for just a appointment, i found a more reasonable one and i think it was about 40tl for a appointment so it is good to check them out first. My friend had a baby in a public hospital and if you and baby are fine i think it was about 1 day and her baby was 3 weeks prem so they dont seem to keep you in too long. Again just check things out and ask your doctor about the facilities of the hospital :)sorry about the huge post but i am pregnant 2 and when i was in turkey i was freaking out about all these things even though i knew i was coming back to the UK to have the baby i kept worrying about it just incase my doctor said it wasnt safe to fly :)

thanks Mellissa for the information. I had a private doc but he is way to expensive, so this month we have decide to go to hospital. I had my 2 ultrasound already and blood test. So far so good.However ladies if you dont mind I have lots of questions as I'm not familiar with the system over here and just would like to know generaly how is it with pregnancy, doctors, hospitals, ect..Below are some questions, what I would like to know as I met another girl from US ans we are tyring to find out answers for these questions.Please I would appriciate if you could help me with this so I will me much more calmer. I will give birth here but as I dont know the system and the country yet I am a bit worried. Hope you understand.Many thanks in advance.1.how the care of pregnant women, counseling, childbirth, breastfeeding ...is there any course to attend to? 2.Works as a pediatrician. care for children from birth to about 15 years., - do i have o reistere my new born baby somehwere? how often to go for check up?3.particularly with regard to counseling, preventive examinations and vaccinations 4.What is the approach doctors to children treated in the frame - are they nice, helpful?5.Outpatient facilities, waiting rooms , giving birth - facilities?6.Financial aspects - Reimbursement of examination, vaccination, vaccines, medicine7.Maternity / paternity leave, PN ... how long is the maternity if you work and if the husband can have time off like in UK when there is a new born baby?8. Insurance system 9.Prescription drugs, antibiotics, probiotics, homeopathy, herbs vzs. children10."Tidbit" associated with little children, for example. access with strollers, breastfeeding in public, children in the restaurant ...11.Nursery - how many years, provided food, finance ... many many thanks....sorry for these lots of questions....

1. http://turkey.angloi...regnancy-birth/

2. You would need to go to the Nüfus Müdürlüğü to register the birth. Look at the link above it gives more details. If you want your child to be a dual national you should contact your Embassy/Consulate in Turkey.

5. That would depend on which hospital you are attending.

6. Your husbands SGK should cover most of the costs at the time of treatment, not later.

8. Are you talking about SGK.

10. Access with strollers - where ?

I have never seen a woman breast feeding in public in Turkey.

Children in restaurants, what do you mean?.

The only one I can answer is the breastfeeding question. Women sometimes do breastfeed in public but cover themselves and the baby with a muslin nappy or a large scarf.

Shark34

thanks Mellissa for the information. I had a private doc but he is way to expensive, so this month we have decide to go to hospital. I had my 2 ultrasound already and blood test. So far so good.

However ladies if you dont mind I have lots of questions as I'm not familiar with the system over here and just would like to know generaly how is it with pregnancy, doctors, hospitals, ect..

Below are some questions, what I would like to know as I met another girl from US ans we are tyring to find out answers for these questions.

Please I would appriciate if you could help me with this so I will me much more calmer. I will give birth here but as I dont know the system and the country yet I am a bit worried. Hope you understand.

Many thanks in advance.

1.how the care of pregnant women, counseling, childbirth, breastfeeding ...is there any course to attend

Many public and private medical centres and hospitals provide prenatal sessions for parents, with the objective of making sure they are well informed and prepared for pregnancy and birth. These sessions are usually free of charge.

2.Works as a pediatrician. care for children from birth to about 15 years., - do i have o reistere my new born baby somehwere? how often to go for check up?

After the birth of her child and initial examinations at the hospital, the mother may freely choose the doctor who attends to her and her infant's care.

3.particularly with regard to counseling, preventive examinations and vaccinations

Vaccinations

The Turkish Ministry of Health determines the timetable of compulsory vaccinations. This vaccination calendar is regulated under Turkish legislation.

A newborn is vaccinated against Hepatitis B within 48 hours of the birth; follow up shots are given at the end of four weeks and again after six months. The schedule of other vaccines - BCG for tuberculosis, DTB for diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough, Hib, and OPV the oral polio vaccine - begins when the baby reaches three months of age.

At one year of age, the baby receives the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine; doctors recommend vaccinating against chicken pox and Hepatitis A at this point.

4.What is the approach doctors to children treated in the frame - are they nice, helpful?h doctors

Turkish paediatricians are the same as any other paediatrician they want to treat children this is their speciality and you are free to choose your own paediatrician.

5.Outpatient facilities, waiting rooms , giving birth - facilities

This varies from hospital to hospital wether its private or a state hospital

6.Financial aspects - Reimbursement of examination, vaccination, vaccines, medicine

I do not know of any country that reimburses you for theses things.

7.Maternity / paternity leave, PN ... how long is the maternity if you work and if the husband can have time off like in UK when there is a new born baby?

Paid maternity leave is `6 weeks. Three days paternity leave in the public sector, This only for Turkish citizens.

8. Insurance system

9.Prescription drugs, antibiotics, probiotics, homeopathy, herbs vzs. children

Not sure what you mean by this

10."Tidbit" associated with little children, for example. access with strollers, breastfeeding in public, children in the restaurant ..

Turks in general love children. High chairs are available in restaurants, access with strollers ? use your common sense. Breast feeding in public, be discreet, its not really acceptable in many European countries and Turkey is more conservative.

11.Nursery - how many years, provided food, finance .

Nursery care is private and there is no government help with fees. Children seem to go to nursery from about age 2 , it depends on the nursery.

many many thanks....sorry for these lots of questions....

Shark check out this site http://turkey.angloinfo.com/healthcare/pregnancy-birth/prenatal-care/

thank you so much for all you repsond. :) I am much relaxed now. Only one more question, I heard that the doctors rather do cesarian then natural birht?! is it true? i do not want secarian unless there wont be other way to take out the baby.....

You will have to do some research to find a doctor that won't try to automatically get you to have a ceasar. The trouble is once you are in labour it's easy for them to get their own way - how would you react if they said that the baby was in distress? DEAD LINK

1.how the care of pregnant women, counseling, childbirth, breastfeeding ...is there any course to attend to?

i heard there was one in marmaris area but not heard of others in the mugla region for example- pre/post natal care is mainly seen to be in the form of a devlet/gov. ebe/midwife...which is free-not that seeing them will always make u feel better as you may not agree with what they say or suggest

2.Works as a pediatrician. care for children from birth to about 15 years., - do i have o reistere my new born baby somehwere? how often to go for check up?

doctors may suggest not to see alternative doctors/only them but i suggest shop around and get 2nd opinions...you may not end up liking the doc who is in your original hossy...and they expect to see you each month (particulary if private so they can make money i presume)

3.particularly with regard to counseling, preventive examinations and vaccinations - its all standard and they/you get whatever other turks get and there is very little chit chat about it...if you dont want to have something yourself you have to sign a form and same applies if deciding against something for your baby

4.What is the approach doctors to children treated in the frame - are they nice, helpful?

5.Outpatient facilities, waiting rooms , giving birth - facilities? private you may feel is worlds apart from the local gov hospitals but it depends where you are...some private hospitals are now also overcrowded and maybe not so well organised as maybe they became overwhelmed with patients as the local gov hospitals was never even near what the local populace needed....lots of paperwk involved i found depending onn what your sigorta /insurance cover is and how it works

6.Financial aspects - Reimbursement of examination, vaccination, vaccines, medicine - whatever % we paid for anything we had came out maybe 2/3months later and this became inpossible to keep up with therefore i cannot even guess what we paid for what at the time....but not a huge ammount overall (and we went private )

7.Maternity / paternity leave, PN ... how long is the maternity if you work and if the husband can have time off like in UK when there is a new born baby? - think hub gets days not weeks....didnt ever really understand whats legal whats not....i know my friend got 6m off paid...and her friend can leave early to breastfeed but maybe each work place differs??

8. Insurance system - each time we went we had to do annoying paperwork and do the same thing again and again.....but our insurance isnt bog standard but i did feel we were fast tracked in certain senarios for certain check ups as the insurance payout was instant their end or indeed a sure bet -this applied in all the private hospitals we went to as we had check ups in more than one

9.Prescription drugs, antibiotics, probiotics, homeopathy, herbs vzs. children - really buggered up zone- you have the modern turkey docs who are not like modern uk ones who maybe 'for' alternative med. here the modern style seems to be to poopoo natural village ideas as they seem to mix with perfectly useful info along side the totally random and odd maybe even dangerous...i think this area in turkey is rife with confusion and a great area to do a study on!

i do also think dont forget your local chemist...they are wortjh more to you at 3a.m when you need to deal with sick baby than the local a & e.....yes seems odd but we had more commonsense advice and selective recommendations for drug usage from them than we had from many other doctors....(some GPs here really seem unable to cover the area of pediactric care & or womens issues!....

10."Tidbit" associated with little children, for example. access with strollers, breastfeeding in public, children in the restaurant ...i breast feed in pucblic and dont cover if i dont feel bothered...i do whatever i like as im so tired and ratty noone dares say anything...only once someone asked me to cover up and she was in her 60s and we were in my own home!!! she wasnt invited again. prams/roads..dont even go there...stress stress stress...get a strap on thingy..dont remember name right now

11.Nursery - how many years, provided food, finance - havent got a clue..not my area as yet so wouldnt mind knowing myself!.....if our only local one is anything to go by i didnt like the stray dogs they were watching running around the kiddies zone and throwing stone at them..and thats the carers not the kids!...well anyway what if they pooped in the enclosed space...so my thought then led to home schooling on way walk back home with babes.....

over n out..im knackered now..good luck..keep us posted

x

If your baby will be citizen of EU, it is privileged. As well asTurkey is evolving,it can be more privileged in the time. In Istanbul there is a lot of maternity hospitals : www.itistanbul.com/in/hospitals.html

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that information SaintOne.