Driving Furniture To Turkey

Rate this topic

hi again :) after just getting a quote of nearly £ 6000,- from a transport agency for shipping what comes down to a 2bed house I`m considering bringing it down our self.

We have got a luton Van.

I won`t be bringing any electrical items apart from some kitchen stuff and we would like to take the ferry.

Has anyone any experience with doing something like this?

I haven't done it, but you will need to show a Residents Permit at the Turkish border.

Yes I know I have to show the permit to customs but that is about all I know for sure as the information in general is so confusing, I wish I wouldn`t have to bring anything but I just can`t leave everything behind :(

I have questions about the import tax as well, some say there is non as its used furniture for our own use and some say there is up to % 42 ?????? surely that can`t be right? Posted Image

I wouldn't recommend it. You could encounter all sorts of problems with Customs doing it yourself.£6k does seem a bit expensive. I would have thought that you should be looking at somewhere around £4k.

Consider the cost involved in transporting it yourselves. It's going to take around 4 days each way, so you'll have accommodation costs as well as fuel costs to think about. Plus I assume you realise that you can't keep the van in Turkey for more than 6 months ?

We used Sumerman's when we moved out to Turkey in 2004. Have a look at their website here : http://www.sumerman.com/home.html

I wouldn't recommend it. You could encounter all sorts of problems with Customs doing it yourself.£6k does seem a bit expensive. I would have thought that you should be looking at somewhere around £4k.

Consider the cost involved in transporting it yourselves. It's going to take around 4 days each way, so you'll have accommodation costs as well as fuel costs to think about. Plus I assume you realise that you can't keep the van in Turkey for more than 6 months ?

We used Sumerman's when we moved out to Turkey in 2004. Have a look at their website here : http://www.sumerman.com/home.html

Thanks for your reply KKW, much appreciated, I will look into the link straight away. As for driving our self, I calculated its about just under £ 700,- in petrol each way and the van would be driven around the clock by 2 drivers, it would take about 50 hours if we go the land way, so financially it would make sense, I just don`t know what we would need paper wise, apart from an inventory and my residence permit

Sorry Ken Posted Image I didn`t get many replies in the other parts of the forum so I tried to sneak it in here. Yes I was thinking about taking that ferry as well but it now looks like that service no longer exists and you have to island hop if you want to go by ferry. So it looks like the land way is maybe the only option Posted Image

I`m just surprised that nobody seems to have any current information about import tax etc. has everybody just come over with a suitcase in hand? Posted Image

Hi Mouse,

There are conflicting views on bringing household goods to Turkey. Some people do arrive with suitcases and start from scratch, some pay thousands of pounds to shipping companies, some bring things in a van. Everyone has a different tale to tell about brining furniture to Turkey , some horrific, others straight forward. A lot of people say don't do it.

The information on the Turkish Consulate website is not very helpful either http://www.turkishco...s.asp?

PageID=11

I would contact experienced shipping companies in the UK , Pickfords, DHL etc they should certainly know the latest import duties and rules. By the way you will need a residence permit and a Tapu or a lease to bring in furniture.

When you have bought your furniture in , will you be driving the van back?

Thanks Abi and Aston for your replies. Yes I had a good look on the site for the ministry of customs and trade already but to be honest I don`t understand much of what is being said there, the only clear thing is the regulations for travelers but I couldn't find anything on importing stuff for your own household :(

I will try to get more sense out of a shipping company :)

And yes I would love to just arrive with a suitcase but to be honest I have moved around so much in the last 25 years (husband was in the forces) that I really want to settle down and build a nest and even though the thought of starting a new life is exiting it is scary as well and I think for my own well being I need some of my own stuff and memories around me.

We have our Villa in Beldibi/Marmaris since 2005 and I`m on my way to sort out my residence permit now (this sadly had to be done with backhanders as well but that`s another story)

And yes the van would go back to the uk straight away and hopefully pick up some stuff on the way back to recover some of the costs (a friend of ours runs a small Currier business and he has European insurance) he isn`t overly happy about my plans but he owes us big time. Posted Image

So saying this, nothing is written in stone yet, I`m just trying to get all my eggs in a row and get as much information as possible, I know that some people here have brought stuff over, inclusive of big wood burners etc. so there must be some experienced drivers out there Posted Image

Keep the advice coming please

Hi Mouse, I did some searching on this and couldn't find any answers for you. We did have another member who wanted to bring furniture to Turkey, but there is no follow-up to tell us how it all turned out. The topic is here:Bringing Furniture to TurkeyYou could send the poster a PM or an e-mail if they have enabled it.

These transportation companies WILL bargain. Their first price can be outrageous. I remember one time when I got a 40% discount with just five minutes of haggling. So it may be that you can get the price you want with the same company if you just dig in your heels and bargain. Prices can also vary widely between companies, and you can play one off the other with the discounts they offer.

I have also used Istanbul Ekspres before, they move a lot of the military people to Turkey. You might be able to get a better quote from them, then return to the other mover and get them to lower theirs, and so on. It wouldn't surprise me if you knocked a substantial amount off the price just by doing that.

Hi Mouse, I did some searching on this and couldn't find any answers for you. We did have another member who wanted to bring furniture to Turkey, but there is no follow-up to tell us how it all turned out. The topic is here:Bringing Furniture to TurkeyYou could send the poster a PM or an e-mail if they have enabled it.

Also, these transportation companies WILL bargain. Their first price can be outrageous. I remember one time when I got a 40% discount in five minutes of haggling. So it may be that you can get the price you want with the same company if you just dig in your heels and bargain. Also prices can vary widely between companies, and you can play one off the other with the discounts they offer.

thank you so much Ken, I will do that :) also I have now found the relevant topic for driving over to turkey and have found a lot of helpful stuff there :)

hi there,many years ago I brought furniture into Turkey via Istanbul and it was a big hassle getting the furniture released from customs and then about 2 years later I got a letter saying I had to pay tax on the furniture! I wouldn't do it again - yes, we all know about the backhanders here - at the customs in Istanbul it was the same story.

Jade

• 2 months later...

Hi again,

just to keep up with development, we will be definitely driving over our self now. After trying plenty of removal companies we have finally given up :(

So the plan is to come over with our Luton Van in the last week of March next week. We will be driving the land way as it stands at the moment but that is not for sure, we are still considering ferries.

The Van will be going back in the first week of April empty and we are looking to pick up some loads. So if anyone here wants to bring anything back to Uk or knows somebody who wants to bring something back please let me know, we are fully insured for goods transport in Europe Posted Image

• 5 months later...

The thread with the information about Mouse's journey is here. http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/11089-driving-to-turkey-from-the-uk/page-3

• 6 years later...

I just moved on Monday March. 22 and when I was looking around for a mover a very good friend of mine told me that a good friend of hers had used Mcs Lojistik and felt that they were excellent. They are more expensive than some of the other movers that I had gotten quotes from but as the old adage says, 'You get what you pay for'.
I had to change a few things after the original booking but the office handled all my changes smoothly and always followed up with me - especially a couple of days before the actual move just to make sure that
they had all the information correctly.
My 2 movers Ahmet and Tahir were stellar. They worked tirelessly and made sure that everything was wrapped well and brought without any damage to my new place. They unwrapped furniture and put back any drawers or shelving that had been taken out initially to make carting these pieces more manageable. They even took a number of packed boxes down to my locker for me. They were great!
I would definitely use Mcs Logistics again if (God Forbid!) I had to move again. I most definitely would HIGHLY recommend them to friends and family.