Does The 180-Day Rule Apply To The Foreign Vehicle Or To The Foreign Person?

Rate this topic

Hello everybody,My wife and I, both Dutch citizens (NL), have been living in Istanbul with a work permit and residence permit for a few months and driving one of our two NL cars so far. So far, Istanbul surpassed our expectations in every way, but we are not 100% sure yet about committing to buying a car (which, as you all know, is quite an investment our preferred >2000cc segment needed to transport a family in hilly North Istanbul). It is clear that our current NL-plated car will have to leave Turkey after 180 days. What is not immediately clear to us: can we now bring our other, second car from NL and drive that for another 180 days? In brief: does the 180-day limit apply to a specific vehicle or to a specific person ... or even to a specific family?

It would really help us if we could postpone the purchase decision with another half year and gain some more time to study the market and rules.

Thanks for your kind help!

Gerrit

Thanks! I will send TURING a message and report the result (if any) here for future reference of other expats. So far, I've been going around in circles: embassies, consulates, ministries of foreign affairs. In the meanwhile, any other information or suggestions to answer this question are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Below is a summary of my exchange with TURING. The impression that I get is that the rules are more restrictive than some informal blogs and homepages would suggest. If I understand their last message correctly, then we can only drive a foreign car in Turkey during the first 180 days that we reside in Turkey. Since their English language isn't perfect (nor is mine), I was hoping that any of you fellow-expats can confirm this interpretation. Thanks a lot!

GERRIT:

Dear Madam, Sir, My wife and I, both Dutch citizens (NL), have been living in Istanbul with a work permit and residence permit for a few months and driving one of our two NL cars. It is clear that our current NL-plated car will have to leave Turkey after 180 days. What is not immediately clear to us: can we now bring our other, second car from NL and drive that for another 180 days? In brief: does the 180-day limit apply to a specific vehicle or to a specific person ... or even to a specific family? Kind wishes,

TURING:

Dear Post,

The 180 days limit is both for the person and the vehicle. After you started living in Turkey you dont have the second right to keep your vehicle for another 180 days. In our country, foreign citizens may keep their cars without paying taxes via Blue Carnet (Temporary Entrance Card for Foreign Vehicles). For more information regarding this please visit http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/mavikarne.asp Best regards…

GERRIT:

Dear TURING, Thanks for your swift reply! We will study the rules about Blue Carnet. We still have two remaining questions:

(1) Is it correct that we can bring our current car two times for 180 days, with a 180 day 'pause' in between? (This is what we understood from the unofficial sources of expat blogs)

(2) The second car is actually on the name of my wife. Does she also have rights to a car for 180 days after I have used my rights?

Thanks for your kind help!

TURING:

Dear Post, Thanks for your good wishes. Our club only shares official information with you.

1) The 180 days is the total number of days you can keep your day (single or multiple times entry-exit)

2) According to the customs regulation people living in Turkey (Turkish or foreign) cannot keep their cars in accordance with 180 days rule. If your husband is living in Turkey (if he resides for more than 6 months in the last 1 year) then he doesnt have the right of 180 days rule. For example, if your husband has lived 5 months in the last 1 year, then he will only have the right of 1 month free travel in Turkey. Hope this helps. Best regards...

• 11 months later...

FOR TURKISH CITIZENS,

there is a way for legal gaps in custom regulations of Turkish state.

First , Marry (formally) with a EU citizen whose ethnicity is from your neighboring country ( i.e. italians in slovenia a good example holding both italian and slovenian passport)  

2- After three years obtain your italian and slovenian passports and if possible it would be useful to obtain third forieng pass along side with the turkish one

3- Exit Turkey with turkish passport and go to Italy take your car and drive your foreign licensed luxury SUV to KAPIKULE Border.

4-Arrange carefully and insidiously your entry to Turkey according to Calender year.

5- Enter Turkey with Italian passport in 01.01.201.. then exit from kapıkule border on 30.06.201.. Then reenter with Slovenian passport which will give legal right to hold your vehicle in Turkey another 6 month.

6- With your turkish passport apply for residence permit whether in italy or in Slovenia then enter as abroad-residing citizen of turkey which will eliminate the rule that custom officers allows your current stay according to length of your foreign stay in last year..

We are being milked by our unfair taxation policies of Turkish State and our Freedom is being intentionally restricted...