Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Desperately Need Help/information About Laundry Detergent

Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

Well yesterday I finally got internet service at home! Yay! And not a minute too soon, either. Posted Image

I know my title sounds a little melodramatic, but I've already ruined some clothes, and my husband left for the States this morning, Posted Image and so I don't have my go-to translator on hand to explain to the nice people in Migros what I'm looking for.

I don't know about product availability/brands in Britain, but in the States we have products specific for stain removal. Two brands that come to mind are Shout! and Easy Wash. They come in spray bottles or bottles with an applicator, and you apply the product right on the stain. In my experience, if I don't do this, stain sometimes don't come out with detergent alone.

Last week we got our wash machine and I bought what I thought was detergent and stain remover from the same brand, as one is in a largish bottle and one is smaller with an applicator-like tip. Well, apparently I was wrong, because when I pulled the clothes out of the wash machine, the clothes were two different colors. Yes, I am a grown woman who has (successfully! uneventfully! in several countries!) done laundry since I was 13, and apparently I willingly put bleach on my clothes. Posted Image I did detect a (slight--not strong) clorox-like smell (and so, thankfully, only ruined a single pair of pants--I thought I would "test" it after I applied a little and was suspicious) but the consistency was like regular liquid detergent, so I thought I was only imagining it.

What I bought was: Domestos brand "Ultra Yogun Kivamlı çamaşır suyu". "Temizler %100 hijen saglar" it says. What is this stuff? Is this bleach? The "topnote" of the smell is very pleasant and I don't detect an obvious bleach smell, but then when I touched it and rinsed it off, the smell was definitely Clorox-gibi.

Can anyone tell me if stain removal products are available and what the brands are/what it's called? And also the name/brand of a normal detergent? I would love to do some laundry today, but now I'm scared that I'll have a repeat session if I try to buy some detergent without knowing what to look for.

Thanks for any and all help--

Anything that says "çamaşır suyu" is bleach; there are several different brands. We use "Bingo" fabric softener, and detergents are mostly powdered.I don't know about commercial stain removers here, but some home remedies include, but are not limited to, lemon juice, white vinegar, liquid dish soap, baby oil, baking soda and toothpaste, depending on the stain (see link below for specifics). Non-oily hairspray can often be used to remove ink from clothing. Acetone (asiton) nail polish remover will also work on ink stains, but I wouldn't advise using it on dark fabrics. Blood and other tough stains can supposedly be removed with hydrogen peroxide (oksijenli su), but I've only tried it on suede so far (not working out so well... probably works better on fabrics; then again, the blood dried into the suede several months ago and my dumb ass waited until now to try to clean it. Dry cleaner couldn't get it out).Here's a good LINK to other home remedies for stain removal for many different types of stains.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Quinn. For stains you could use something like Vanish, it's in a pink bottle and you can buy it in 1 lt bottles or larger. If you look on the back of the bottle it shows you you can either use it for a whole wash or just for for small patches before you wash you clothes.

There are load of different detergents. Persil, Ariel, Omo, Daz, Bingo and the list goes on. You should find detergents, fabric softeners and things like Vanish all in roughly the same place. Domestos usually contains bleach.

Hope that helps Posted Image

I don't know whether Izmir city water is hard, but you may also need to buy Calgon or similar limescale remover tablets to prevent the build up on the heater of your washing machine.

Hi Quinn, i recently noticed that Migros have small 50ml bottles of Dr.Beckmann stain removals.Quite pricey,think they were 10tl..I only noticed 2 of them, 1 for the removal of Ink 1 for Oil n i''m sure they;ll be other one;s trickling along soon.I've never seen vanish soap here only in liquid form.In the begining i also ruined a few garments wi bleach products.For the washing machine i use Percil Powder,suits me fine n yumos extra/Fabric conditioner/White bottle,gives 60 washes/1500m(concentrated)around 10tl.Happy Washing Quinn.Lindy Lou

Oh dear, Quinn ! But to mistake Çamaşır Suyu for detergent is quite natural, considering its literal translation is laundry liquid.Posted Image

Anything labelled Leke Sökücü (stain remover) should do the job for you. ..... Good luck. Posted Image

IWB, the easiest way to remove blood stains is to soak in cold water then just rub (hot water will set the stain in forever). The older the stain the tougher to remove. Hydrogen peroxide is just bleach again. Posted Image

Hello Quinn! Sorry about your clothes! It is very misleading over here with the bleach (domestos) that has 'çamışır suyu' written on them. I have been very close to making that mistake but as I know from back in the UK domestos is bleach and dont have washing detergants I was lucky.I use vanish for stains its great. I also use Vernol as my washing detergant as I have very sensitive skin and I find I have small reactions to others and for my washing powder I always use Bingo or Omo xxxx

I use OMO because it smells like somebody smacked me round the head with a meadow.I nearly made the bleach mistake. It was lavender scented bleach, but of course all I saw were lavender leaves on the bottle and got all giddy and excited. I realised the mistake and had to grab the draw out of the machine.