Sign in to follow this  
lassabroad

Before I Marry A Turk...

Rate this topic

Hello, I am British-Canadian and planning to marry a Turk. We both work in Saudi Arabia and will most likely marry there (neither of us are Muslim). My question may sound cynical, but I'm a pragmatist whose parents deserve some piece of mind: What are my rights when it comes to divorce? Or, where can I find information about this? I am intending to use my British identity rather than Canadian one. I do not want to marry and find myself bankrupt and divorced three months later.

Any links/insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to our forum lassabroad. It depends on where you get divorced really. If you marry and divorced in Turkey it's simple, what was yours ie house, money, possessions before marriage remains yours. What either of you bring in after marriage is split 50/50. I don't know what the divorce laws are in Saudi Arabia or Canada. If you divorced in the UK I doubt that your husband would get anything as the marriage was so short, but I could be wrong on that and I'm sure someone else would be able to tell you. Posted Image