Sign in to follow this  
mjswede

Confused On Requirements For Marriage In Turkey

Rate this topic

I am from the United States and wish to marry a Turkish man. I am 51 years old and have never been married. I have read the requirements and I am a little confused.

Would I get the certificate of no impediment from my county clerks office (same place the issues marriage licenses)?

I have read that there is a medical exam and they might perform blood tests. In what situations do they perform blood tests?

I would be getting married in Istanbul, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

I think,if the USA is the same as the UK,you get a certificate of no impediment from a registrar.

This may have to be translated into Turkish and stamped by a notory ready to take with you on your journey.....

As for the medical,am not sure.

I know there is a simple blood test for both of you.which is standard practice...

Hopefullly someone will help you with the details on here!! Best of Luck.

Hi Mjswede and welcome to our forum. Congratulations on your forth coming marriage, where are you thinking of getting married in Turkey?. Below you will see an extract and a link from an article written by the American Embassy in Ankara. Have a good read and if you have any doubts about the requirements I think you should get in touch with them. I don't know how long it takes to get the paperwork sort out by them especially if you need to make an appointment as it didn't say. I would be grateful when you have gone through the process if you could post and let us know. Posted Image

Good luck Posted Image

Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry

If you are willing to get marry in Turkey, you first need to fill out the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form and have it notarized by the U.

S. Embassy or Consulate which has power in your marriage province. Please check the below list to see where you need to have your document notarized.

Link

Thanks for the information. Everyone here is so kind. I am still a little confused as the web sites say " you might need blood tests" and this seems to depend on the area where one gets married. I would get married in Istanbul.

I might bring him to the states to get married. It very easy to get married here.

Aston is right it's just a simple blood test and takes seconds to do, if you go to a private clinic you will get the result back usually the same day. I'm wondering why you are concerned about having one done?

Thanks but I was talking about blood tests for marriage in Turkey. In my state , you only pay the fee for the marriage license. Also we have self solemnization where I live. If we were to get married in my state we would pay a fee and sign the paper. Nothing else is required.

The information on the web sites I have visited states that there is a medical exam in Turkey and that you May have blood tests. Does the medical exam vary by region ? I can not find any information specific to tests in Istanbul.

I don't think it is up to the government to do medical exams. I had a sexually transmitted disease when I was young but was cured. It is not something I want everyone to know and I don't want to be denied marriage because of something I had 22 years ago.

Whilst it does say about having a medical test, I've have never actually heard of anyone having one, just the blood tests. There are a lot of private hospitals in Istanbul where you can have it done. If you had an STD 22 years ago and are cured I don't think it's anything to worry about. I wish you luck in your forth coming marriage where ever you decide to have it. :)

My partner and I went to a clinic in Istanbul we had a blood test and went back the same day for the results prior to our marriage. Admittedly this was some years ago but I sure things have not changed. It is very easy to get married in the USA but every country has its rules and regulations for a reason.

The main reason for the Turkish blood tests is to look for Thalessemia sometimes called Mediterranean disease a genetic blood disorder which is found in Turkey and other countries near the Mediterranean. There is no need to panic it really is a simple process.;