Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Is There Renter's Insurance In Turkey?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone--I didn't see this in any of the sub-topics, and since "Turkey Generally" is for those topics that don't fit anywhere else, I thought I'd post here.

Does anyone know if there is renter's insurance available in Turkey? What I mean is if there is a way to insure one's belongings from theft, fire, etc. If so, what are such insurance agents called? And if anyone has any such insurance (or home owner's, if one owns one's home and is insuring the building as well as the contents) would you be able to give a ball park figure for how much it is, roughly, what it covers/excludes, if you can get separate riders for jewelry and other valuables, and what the deductible is, or perhaps point me to a web site that would cover these things?Thanks much for any help/insight--

We got ours through HDİ http://www.hdisigorta.com.tr/en/default.aspx?There are HDI offices everywhere here and we just took what we wanted: fıre, broken glass, theft, water damage and civil responsibility (if your washing machine overflows and floods the downstaırs neighbours - happened to me once). You can add what you want fo valuables, other cover etc. Annual premium 130 TL per year.

Ours is included in our house insurance so I can't give you a figure. We use AK Sigorta

I took out contents insurance with Akbank - but before doing so went over the situations covered - and was amazed that earthquake was NOT included. I asked to have this added in - it put up the premium noticeably - but I think its very worthwhile. A few months later we did have an earthquake here. I only lost a pretty vase (didnt bother to claim for that I confess) but whilst other people were panicking about their widescreen tvs etc - I just had to save myself! So I would advise making sure that 'deprem' is included.

Deprem sigorta is supposed to be compulsory, but I read not long ago that only about 20% of buildings are actually covered (ie. people still don't bother). I don't know ....and it would certainly make sense for it to be the landlord's responsibility, but then this is Turkey ansd some things don't always make sense as we would think. Anybody know ? :)

Please note everyone, if you don't have the DASK (deprem) sigorta any other earthquake sigorta is invalid.

This is all super helpful--thanks so much. My biggest worry really is theft--I understand that property crime is huge. As there will be times when we are not in our apartment to visit abroad for as much as two weeks at a time, I'm very afraid to come home and find everything of value gone.

Yes, it's a worry. I guess you'll have to secure the place somehow (grilles, window locks, etc) and just not leave anything much of value lying around in obvious places....... common sense stuff really. Also, make friends with the neighbours so they can keep an eye out while you're away, because even insurance can't replace some things. Good luck with it ! :)

Hi Meral--good tips all. We were also thinking of asking a friend or relative (who live with others) if they might house sit while we're gone. Having someone present is perhaps the biggest deterrent to a break-in.

I thought that the deprem was the landlord's responsibility?

I understood that the compulsory DASK deprem sigorta covered the building only, and that that was the landlords responsibilty. I assumed that my own possessions inside the apartment would be my own responsibilty in an earthquake, just as they would in a fire. If thats not true, please let me know - because I am wasting my money on unnecessary premium payments!

Yes, you are right DASK is just for the building and is the landlords responsibility. I guess you were talking about contents insurance but you had to pay extra to cover damage/loss for contents caused by earthquake and yes that is your responsibility. I would check with your landlord that he has got DASK because as Sunny said if he hasn't you won't be able to claim on your policy for losses and are wasting money.

. I would check with your landlord that he has got DASK because as Sunny said if he hasn't you won't be able to claim on your policy for losses and are wasting money.

Wow, I didn't fully understand Sunny's post until this clairification; thank you so much. That is something else; with the renter's insurance that I am familiar with, the structure and the contents are two separate things. If the landlord doesn't have insurance, that is his or her loss if there is an earthquake, but I never imagined that them not having building insurance would invalidate any contents' insurance that I might have.

I think I will ask to see proof of their insurance before signing a lease. Thank you!

I believe it only invalidates claims against earthquake damage, not other types of loss.