Ken Grubb

How to Get A Turkish Driving License, Pdf Attached

Rate this topic

If you have been a legal residence of Turkey for six months, you can no longer drive legally on your home country's driving license. You must get a Turkish driving license.

Although this may not always be enforced, if you are involved in an accident, the police are likely to charge you with driving illegally. Your car insurance company may also refuse to pay on claims, citing the fact that you are not properly licensed. Also, car rental companies may refuse to rent a car to you if  you are not licensed in Turkey.

Here's an article on how to get a Turkish driving license

Ken,

Have you heard of this changing? I went to my local town hall in Bakirkoy and they stated they have no agreement with the US and I would have to complete the course with both written and practical exam. Looking for alternatives here.

Thank you

Justin

I had heard of it, but thought perhaps the official involved was misinformed! It used to be that they just needed a letter from the state involved saying that they were authorized to issue driving licenses. Then you would be issued a Turkish driving license based on your US license. Oh, well, apparently it has changed. Thanks for letting us know.

Justin,

As far as I know, the first message still applies to all foreigners. I'm working at a company whom my colleagues are foreign citizens are having the same problem and they are enrolling driving courses at least a paper that proves you're going to a course in case of police stop.

The Law changed in Jan 1st 2016 when our UK Ambassador met with the Turkish Authorities who changed the  requirements for foreigners for the need to show a schooling certificate to obtain a Turkish driving licence. All TC's have to do this so they insisted foreigners do the same...This of course was going to prove to be a massive problem for many of the older expats as some left without exam certificates or since the 60's had mis laid them when moving to Turkey .

After a day of negotiations an agreement was made that as long as the foreign licence holder obtained a fresh incoming stamp in their passport every 6 months,then they could continue to drive on their translated & noterised licence. as per Article 88- (Amended with title: RG-17/4 / 2015-29329) 
Go here, https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetailsIII.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=XI-B-19&chapter=11&Temp=mtdsg3&clang=_en ….to find countries that are included in the Convention. If your country is NOT listed then it’s not possible to make a licence exchange.. The only way to obtain a Turkish driving licence is to take driving lessons & the test .

USA is not part of this convention...so a licence exchange is not possible, American passport holders will need to take Turkish driving lessons & test to obtain a Turkish driving licence...

Selim1984uk...no you can't keep your UK licence..it's sent back to the DVLA on issue of your Turkish licence. But if/when you re locate back to the UK you simply apply for it to be returned to you & you'll surrender your Turkish one to the DVLA. Against all the rumours in expat land,you can hire cars in the UK showing a Turkish licence.