Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Getting Prescriptions That Aren't Available In Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi--

I thought I would post something that may help others. I haven't figured things out/gone through the process yet, but I'll try to keep you apraised as I move forward.

I have a couple of medical prescriptions that are apparently not available in Turkey. I found out that one way one can get such prescriptions is if the pharmacy or physician mails it to a specific place in Turkey; i believe the place is some kind of state place/pharmacy. Anyway, I asked my doctor, and she agreed to do so (only physicians or pharmacies may send the medication--you can't ask a relative to do so, it's against US law and I also think it may be against Turkish law, but I'm not sure.)

So this is great news. When I get to Turkey, I'll move forward on this and will fill you all in on how it's done. Luckily one of my friends' father works for the Ministry of Health, so I'm hoping he will help me cut through the red tape. In any case, I'll keep ya'll posted. Posted Image

I've never heard of that before and would be good news for some if it was possible. I was just wondering though, if a US doctor sent a prescription to Turkey to that place wouldn't there need to be some sort of a covering note in Turkish to go with it?. Having said that as you are just at the early stages of finding out how it all works I will be interested to read updates as your story unfolds.

Can you not find a similar medicine that is available here rather than go through all the hassle of getting it sent here as, especially this end, there is likely to be a lot of paperwork to contend with?

Abi, it's some kind of official Turkish program, so I'm sure that there will be some kind of paperwork/documentation that will have to be filled out/translated/etc. From what I understand, there are three possibilities for getting prescriptions that are not available in Turkey:

[*]Find a generic or alternative. This is the easiest, of course.

[*]Ask your physician/pharmacy to mail the prescription. They cannot mail it directly to you, this I know. It has to go through an official intermediary. This is the program that I write about here.

[*]Apply for the drug to be added to the Turkish registry.

I am a little hopeful that #1 may be possible. It is absolutely not possible here, in the States, for the said medication, but maybe it will be in Turkey. In the 90's my medication was actually sold in healthfood stores for nintey cents a pill. Unfortunately, it has the somewhat unique distinction of having been used to victimize others--i.e. it can be used to knock a person out, which unscrupulous persons did and then they took advantage of their victims when their victims were knocked out. So now it is a Class I drug--like heroin--with the exception for prescriptions used for specific medical conditions, and can only be obtained by a central pharmacy that mails the prescription to one--you can't just go to the corner pharmacy and pick it up. It is very regulated. But I also know that it is extremely easy and cheap to make, and so perhaps it is, in fact, available, cheaply and freely and perhaps even without a prescription, in Turkey. Most countries have either outlawed it outright (Australia) or tightly regulate it (most of Europe) but we'll see.

I will also be following up for #3, as it would be ever so much safer if it was just offered in Turkey. I am fine (presuming I can get it sent to me) for as long as my husband has his job and medical insurance, but once he quits and comes to Turkey, it is unknown if I will be able to continue to get it. This is because it is $25 a month with insurance. Without insurance, the current price is just over $5,000 a month. Yes. That's five THOUSAND dollars a month. No lie. Why, who knows. Probably because they can charge that much and the insurance companies pay it, and since it's so tightly regulated, they don't have a huge number of customers because not just any doctor can prescribe it but has to go through training, etc. It's pretty unique of all the prescriptions I'm aware of. It's far easier to get opium, or Oxycodone, which is sort of infuriating. But at least the company who makes it does have a process whereby you can apply for assistance. The "assistance" is total--if you meet their requirements (which they don't advertise or publish, so who knows what they are) you get it for free. I am not one to go after welfare-like programs. but obviously I can't afford $5000 a month for a single prescription, so I'll go for this when the time comes. Since my Turkish wages are a fraction of that, hopefully I will meet the requirements for the program. Posted Image

In the meantime, the send-it-to-Turkey option is sort of the middle ground--perhaps the most likely to work out. After determining here, through discussions with the company who provides the medication and also through the link that Abi had provided about what drugs are available in Turkey, I was able to determine that it wasn't available. And so we put out the word, far and wide, among our network, and that is how we became aware of the three options. I will further look into this and keep everyone up to date accordingly. I know most medications can be had, or some alternative, but for those requiring unique prescriptions, such information has the potential to be helpful. And everyone here has been so helpful to me, I want to give back to the community. Posted Image

If you give me a list of the medication you need I will talk to a local pharmacist to see what's available here.

Our friend provided the link to the program, which appears to outline how to go about options 2 and 3 (having a doctor or pharmacy in the home country send medication to you and getting the drug in Turkey.

The link

I'm curious if you were ever able to work through the intermediary route since I am also trying to figure out how to refill a prescription (percocet, which our Turkish doctor said is unavailable here). thanks!