Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

Combo Condensing Washer/dryer

Rate this topic

Hello all--I currently have an LG combo washer/condensing dryer. Unlike the more common washer/venting dryer combinations, which are two machines, what I have is one machine. It washes, and then, after washing, immediately starts the drying cycle, using condensing technology. The upside is that this is fantastically convenient--put the load in dirty and it comes out clean and dry. The downside is that it takes a long time to do a load--usually around 3 hours, but sometimes as long as 5 if you are using the "sanitary" (super hot) cycle and "heavy" dirt, do a pre-wash, etc. Still, I love my machine. I will not be bringing it to Turkey with me as I'm flying in and don't anticipate moving bigger items like furniture for at least a year, probably more like two.Is this kind of machine available in Turkey? Almost everyone I know just has a washer. Also, would it be unwise to get this kind of machine, as it takes so long to dry, perhaps the energy that it uses would make using it prohibitively expensive?Any thoughts are appreciated--

Yes, they have them here. We do the normal wash cycle (about 15min) and a normal dry cycle (about an hour or so) and, with the exception of jeans and towels everything comes out dry. Jeans and towels get hung out afterward and only take another hour or so to air dry. if you do the extra hot cycle, then yes, it will increase your electric bill. we do a load every other day and our bill is only around 60-80TL/month... still far less than the bill in the US without a washer/dryer and well worth it for the convenience.

we bought ours at MediaMarkt for i think it was 899TL, but it was on sale as it was a "discontinued" model (it's a Hotpoint Ariston, which is now just Hotpoint). Depending on what model you want you can find them for under 1000 i think or as much as 2500 if you want it to have all the unnecessary bells and whistles. Best thing to do though is shop around and watch for sales. Look at MediaMarkt, TeknoSA, ElectroWorld, Carrefour, and even 5M Migros, and also check out the name-brand shops (Vestel, Arçelik, Bosch, etc) as well as smaller independent appliance shops. I've been told it's possible to buy used and refurbished appliances as well, but I'm not sure where to look for that. The big bonus here is that most places deliver for under 20TL... only hitch is you have to make a separate appointment for installation; you should be able to get it within a day of delivery if you're lucky, but it's a necessary step if you don't want to void the warranty.

Great info IWB!!!! This is such good news. My machine was a lot more-- $1700 USD if I'm not mistaken, and it has been sort of a lemon/have had to have it repaired numerous times. Still, it's better than nothing. Fantastic that you found yours for so cheap!

's far's I'm concerned anything over $50 is worth shopping around for. we spent a month looking for a TV and found a 50inch Panasonic plasma for under 1500TL including delivery and install, another sale item last year. much better than a sharp stick in the eye if you ask me =]

I suppose if you live in a city you might need a washer/dryer but here I don't need one as washing dries so quickly out on the line.

the dryer comes in very handy in the winter time especially, when we would otherwise have racks of clothes drying inside the flat, taking up space and adding a cluttered feel. it also adds some warmth to the flat on a cold night. again, it's a convenience thing =]

Quinn, we've found that TeknoSA offer lower prices on a Sunday for certain items. My dumb BiL bought a smart phone and a new LG all singing and dancing flashing lights 9kg washing machine on a Friday - on a Sunday it was about 400TL cheaper! But my husband is a bargain hunter and shops really, really carefully - nothing is impulse bought if it's over 5TL or contains any sort of electronics! There are always bargains to be had if you spend time on-line comparing prices. We discovered this strange 1 day price drop recently while looking for a/c units.There are also 'spot' shopping centres in Istanbul (look out for them in Izmir)- they are a group of independent shops selling all different brands of white goods/furniture. We got a great bargain on our fridge-freezer (and they threw in a kettle which we needed), and we got the cheapest water cooler from there. Husband has now got a good relationship with this particular shop owner, and took his mate who wanted a water cooler too (he was also given a good price). The only problem is if you need things in a hurry and don't have the time to shop around - but you could spend time now on the web sites checking prices - it will serve you well for when you arrive!! Have fun!

Thanks so much, Ahududu, such great info. I will certainly take a peek at prices on a Saturday and return on a Sunday! Ken told me all about spot shops and even told me where to look in Izmir. I think everything else I can do without--stove, even refrigerator--but more than 2 weeks without a wash machine would just be yucky. Posted Image Posted Image