Sign in to follow this  
nikemre

Hi Aussie Muslim 40 Yr Female Here Im Married To 26 Yr Turkish Man But His Parents Dont Know Yet.

Rate this topic

some of our turkish friends are gezi supporters and i let them know aussie style that we are mulslim so keep your non muslim ideas in your head

The Gezi park protests were nothing to do with Muslim or non Muslim. Most of the protesters were Muslims, probably 99.9% . They were peaceably trying to protect Gezi park from redevelopment but were harshly treated by the police. Because of this other people protested about the brutality of the police and the whole thing escalated with people becoming angry about the way RTE was heading, becoming very dictatorial and suppressing the press, telling people how many children to have and not to drink alcohol, even though Turkey is a secular state. The whole thing could have been over in a couple of days if RTE had sat down and talked to the people instead of issuing threats which only made matters worse and in spite of most European countries and the US criticising the treatment of the protesters by the police. It just made Turkey look like a banana republic in the eyes of the world!

..... "keep your non muslim ideas in your head or else"What will you do to your 'friends', use water canon or gas grenades? I expect your friends were peaceful people too, like the demonstrators who didn't agree with RTE's ideas.

If someone in Australia doesn't agree with your PM and writes in the newspapers criticising him or her, do they get sent to prison indefinitely while awaiting trial? Do doctors get prosecuted for tending peaceful protestors injuries? Do people get attacked by the police while peacefully protesting over there?

I think that you should read this thread before condemning your friends. http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/17719-istanbul-rising-up-protests-in-turkey/

I agree with you on one point, Nikemre, don't ever try to convert friends either to religion or to politics. You believe what you believe but let others have the same freedom. I shared a flat with a guy who was a 7th day Adventist, he was and still is a great bloke and a very good friend; we just avoided subjects that we knew we didn't agree on and I accepted his views were valid for him and he accepted that mine were too.

Never did I need to say " keep your fundamentalist ideas in your head or else". We were just intelligent enough to say this dicussion is

going nowhere because you believe A and I believe B and I won't convince you and you won't convince me.

Have you ever tried to talk to a colour-blind friend and explain to him that what he thinks is brown is actually bright orange!

Why do you need to impose what you believe on someone else? An interesting interview of a Muslim, headscarfed girl brought up in a conservative neighbourhood of Konya, one of the most conservative areas of Turkey, who said (I'll try and find the exact quote but I have read so much lately..) "I find it nice that Mr. Erdoğan thinks about us, the 51%, but I'd rather he concentrated on thinking about us instead of thinking for us."

finally emre is taking islam more seriously, thank president tayyipp for that, some of our turkish friends are gezi supporters and i let them know aussie style that we are mulslim so keep your non muslim ideas in your head or else.

Are your Turkish friends non-Muslim then, because they are Gezi supporters ? Anyone who doesn't agree with RTE isn't necessarily non-Muslim.

Turkey is supposed to be secular, so RTE should have no business promoting Islam, but nevertheless Emre is dutifully following the call. RTE made it known he wanted new parents to raise a more pious generation. Well & good, but that's not really his business and not what he was elected for.

I hope you won't have too much of a culture shock when you finally come to Turkey ...... good luck !!! :)

I think my words may have been misunderstood, what i meant was when his non muslim turkish friends talk about inappropriate subjects, such as girls, stripclubs, and haram activities in front of me and my husband, i tell them to stop, and tell them we dont talk like that, we are muslim remember and we are married, my husband isnt single like you guys. he also tells them. we never try to convert them or push our beliefs onto them, we just ask for some respect.

Emre has nearly finished his masters, and is working as an energy auditor with his friend yucel. he spoke to his parents this week, and they told him to just concentrate on his studies and his family (me) and getting a job in his field after his masters. they dont want us to come to turkey yet until he has worked here the required time so as to defer millitary service. even if we have to pay the turkish government some money as well, we will. they say its getting too dangerous to come to turkey, and emre misses his parents so much, so i told him we will save up money and pay for them to come here for a visit. emre doesnt want permanent residency here, he doesnt want to live in australia forever, so when the time is right, and we can secure him a job overseas and have the money, we will leave australia. and we are going to start trying for baby next year. and get married in government wedding. just a small one, with the big one in turkey.

and what does trolling mean by the way Fen. I really hope you werent referring to me.

my husband and i are worried about telling his parents about me. i am 40 he is 26. we have been together for over a year. he will tell them in august, im concerned of their reaction,and we are both muslim and married in islam.i look very young for my age. any info would be great thanks.i pray some one can give me some advice on this.

In Islam is it acceptable to marry a women who is older?

I think my words may have been misunderstood, what i meant was when his non muslim turkish friends talk about inappropriate subjects, such as girls, stripclubs, and haram activities in front of me and my husband, i tell them to stop, and tell them we dont talk like that, we are muslim remember and we are married, my husband isnt single like you guys. he also tells them. we never try to convert them or push our beliefs onto them, we just ask for some respect.

Emre has nearly finished his masters, and is working as an energy auditor with his friend yucel. he spoke to his parents this week, and they told him to just concentrate on his studies and his family (me) and getting a job in his field after his masters. they dont want us to come to turkey yet until he has worked here the required time so as to defer millitary service. even if we have to pay the turkish government some money as well, we will. they say its getting too dangerous to come to turkey, and emre misses his parents so much, so i told him we will save up money and pay for them to come here for a visit. emre doesnt want permanent residency here, he doesnt want to live in australia forever, so when the time is right, and we can secure him a job overseas and have the money, we will leave australia. and we are going to start trying for baby next year. and get married in government wedding. just a small one, with the big one in turkey.

and what does trolling mean by the way Fen. I really hope you werent referring to me.

Trolling means to annoy people online or to make fun of people. Basically to just annoy you and they think its funny. I know because I do it to friends all the time online.

well all is going great. there is no issues with parents. I spoke to them last night on the phone. they cant speak English so I did my best with Turkish. my husbands father asked what my husband was doing and I told him in English that he was down fixing his car. he made out that he understood me but he didn't. when my husband called them back, his mother said to his father, don't lie, you didn't understand anything she said, he just roared with laughter. they loved the way I greeted his father with, effendim baba.