Sign in to follow this  
skunk

Any Lasik/laser Eye Surgery In Turkey Experiences?

Rate this topic

i've been thinking of getting lasik/laser eye surgery done for ages now, and i've decided that i'll get it done in Istanbul when i get there in a few weeks.from what i've read online, it seems that alot of western europeans are getting their lasik done in turkey, mostly german and swedish visitors it seems.i've come across about 3 different clinics offering services, but any reviews i can find are in german which is all greek to me :Phas anyone had lasik done in instabul?would you guys recommend any places in particular?or more importantly are there any places that i should stay away from :P ?cheers,Skunk.

Errrr, what's 'lasik'? :P

Actually it is called Lasik, for some reason. I think your chances of finding someone so well informed about eye hospitals here are not very good... of course you would need to check the hospital's, and the doctor's, certifications. Lots of them have foreign certifications as well as Turkish ones. Also if they are a member of certain professional organizations, they tend to police themselves, and you could contact the organization they belong to, or the board which certified them, and ask about any complaints.

oddly enough Lasik in Turkey seems to be quite popular with germans, the dutch and the swedish, so english accounts of their experiences are hard to find. i had to do a google translate thing of a german forum.the good news is that theres quite a few people that have done it and have given the place some good reviews,.... but then again it is the internet so who knows.personally i've decided on the Istanbul Surgery Hospital that is headed by a Dr Sinan Goker ( the "o" in his name is meant to have two lil dots over it but i cant figure out how to type it.) he seems to have a good track record and is a member of a couple of associations as youve mentioned. one of which is an american one.heres a link to anyone interested:http://lasikinturkey.com/eng/index.htmlso i've arranged for the guy himself to do it when i get there in a few days.i'll start a thread with my experiences once its done.assuming everything goes well and i can still see of course :spacecraft[1]:

I had my eyes lasered over four years ago in Istanbul by an independent eye surgeon who previously worked at the World Eye Hospital (Dunya Göz Hastanesi) which I believe is where a lot of pioneering of this surgery took place. I can't tell you his name as I've long ago thrown away his card but friends I've spoken to about this since have gone to this hospital for treatment and highly recommend it. Price-wise, it used to be far cheaper than in the UK but I believe prices are coming down there too now. I am so glad I did it - it took a fair amount of courage but having worn specs since the age of 9, I was fed up with them and it was the best thing I've ever done! No more squinting at people in the sea, or trying to find my sunbed on the beach whilst blind! Also, no more hated contact lenses, get dusty and making me cry! Not to mention the trendy sunglasses I can now wear too!:)

I had LASIK surgery in Adana acouple of years ago although I did look at getting it done in Istanbul and the facility and doctor had good credentials/reviews as well as a good package that included round-trip airfare from Adana, hotel, pickup and return to hotel, etc. for a very good price.I had to have an second "adjustment" surgery 3-4 months later but am very happy with the results.It cost me $700 total for both eyes at the time which included all visits, the surgery, follow-ups, the adjustment surgery and subsequent follow-ups.I just wish that I had not waited so long to make the decision to get the surgery.

hello,I have been to Istanbul couple of times, so I can say that I am kinda familiar with the city already. I am aware that some of the best eye surgeons are stationed there as well as some JCI accredited eye clinics. Nevertheless taking the step towards an eye surgery has always been very frustrating for me. I think I will need a lot of convincing to do it. Anyway what I wanted to share is that I have a friend that had his eyes corrected in a clinic in Istanbul, I think it was called Acibadem or something similar. If I am not wrong he made the arrangements through the following site: http://lasikinistanbulturkey.com There are also very good professionals in my native country Bulgaria, where costs are also relatively low as well, however the organizations in Turkey seem more esteemed and have been recommended to me for such operation. I know that they check first and determine the success rates for an operation. I may just do that as a first step to see what my chances are. Then I will decide if I will go further. I wish I had an easier decision making process but alas it is part of my personality and I had to deal with. I really hope getting rid of my glasses will introduce a major change in my life, but I am afraid it is only an illusion.

Guest Macavey

My husband had it done for severe near-sightedness (miyop) about two years ago at the Acıbadem Eye Clinic in Etiler, Istanbul. We were very happy with the care and attention and he is thrilled with the results.

Thanks for that info Mac. It's always useful to hear of people who've had the treatment and are happy with it.