Turkish Tv News Channels - Any Recommendations?

Rate this topic

My Turkish has taken a back seat over the past 12 months due to some nasty problems in my life, and I really need to freshen it up and start improving it again.

I'd like to start watching the news in Turkish, but find it very difficult. Picture me sitting in front of the TV saying 'yavaş lütfen!!' (they don't take any notice of my request!).

I wonder if anyone can recommend a channel. (I have the usual Digiturk channels). Anything too highbrow would be beyond my Turkish I am sure. And I cannot handle ladies with squeaky voices!!! (why do they do that?).

I surf about and tend to come back to NTV, but am just getting started so would be interested in other peoples opinions. Also, are there any particular programs?

LIP I normally watch the news in the evening between 6-8 on tv channels like Show TV, Star TV (I find the old man news presenter really cute for some reason haha) and Kanal D (but dont like the presenter on kanal D) but there is a tv channel Sky360 I have on my tv (I dont have digiturk I cant remember what I have but its satellite) and its world wide news in Turkish. The woman doesnt have a squeaky voice either :D x

You could watch Euronews as it has the news in Turkish and then if you want to check you could watch it with the sound changed to English half an hour later.

thanks for your replies. I ve had a look at several of the suggestions so far - will look at others later today. I found 360 on my digiturk package too. was live broadcase of CHP on most news channels when I was watching.....found it very interesting indeed (wish my Turkish was better). Also looked at Show TV news in evening and I really liked the newsreader - middle aged male (or possibly old if you are younger than I am!!) who seemed to speak slightly slower and very clearly.

I had no idea that Euronews offered all those language options! It is a good place to watch in one language and then the other, as news summaries are short I don't watch it often as the english language voice over people often have irritating accents and ways of speaking (!) - the Turkish voices were much pleasanter.

If there are any other Turkish programs (apart from news) anyone can recommend with people speaking fairly slowly and clearly I would be interested (apart from cookery type of thing which I find much too boring in any language!)

Turkish voices were much pleasanter

Not the voices they use to dub films especially the woman who does children's voices - drives me nuts!
  • 2 weeks later...

LİP I know the newsreader you have mentioned on Show TV but before him was another newsreader who was probably in his 60s. I find Show TV the easiest to understand when it comes to the news and they dont have the misleading headings like other channels. xxx