I've had knee problems for the last +/-20 years and have had damaged cartilage removed from both knees (almost none left). Forget about the fact that I'm almost a full inch shorter because of it, but I'm in constant pain as a result. I have ibuprofen sent from the US annually (a bottle of 300 pills for 30USD vs 10 pills for 8TL), but i hate taking pills constantly. Plus when i run out I have to rely on someone overseas to go buy it and ship it, then I get to go deal with the customs office (and we all LOVE dealing with customs, don't we?).

So here are my questions: does anyone know if cortisone injections for arthritis are available and done (safely) in Turkey? has anyone had or know someone who has had knee replacement surgery here? Are surgical procedures safe here? How much could I expect to pay for either of these procedures here? The cost in the US is prohibitive (only the rich get decent healthcare there) and I don't expect I can just take a trip to London or Paris and expect their system to pay for my woes. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Sorry to hear about your problem but I'm afraid I can't help you with the op info but you are paying way over the top for your ibuprofen. You can get Nurofen (ibuprofen) here at any eczane at about 2.5 tl for 20 x 200mg tablets.

I know someone who had a quote for a hip replacement operation a little while ago and they said 6,000 lira. However, if you or your wife have SGK it shouldn't cost you anything. If you or your wife have Bag Kur it would cost you 20% of that. Even if you have SGK you can still have the operation done in a private hospital if they have a contract with SGK and again cost you 20%.

I have read on different forums the people that have hip replacements have been very happy with the result, but I don't know anyone who has had a knee replacement.

There are some excellent doctors/surgeons, but like anywhere in the world, there are shall we say, not so good ones.

Sorry, I don't know anything about cortisone injections.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Whiteboy. The husband of an old friend had knee surgery (knee cap replacement ?) about 4 years ago, after relying on a walking stick for several years. It took almost 6 months to recover, but then he took off like a house on fire. A real able-bodied man, going for walks, climbing trees........ and he's well into his 70's by now. Posted Image Like you, I wouldn't want to take pills on the never-never -- they may help you feel better but not actually improve the problem. Geçmiş olsun! Posted Image

You don't need to wait until you have Turkish citizenship to join the SKG, all you need is a residence permit for a year.