Sign in to follow this  
Sunny

53 Pieces Ofinfo To Be Given When Leaving Or Arriving Fortress Britain

Rate this topic

Terror crackdown as passengers forced to answer 53 questions in airport inquisitionBy JAMES SLACK - More by this author

May I ask where you got this information? It sounds like a hoax to me... or perhaps a lone reporter exaggerating the effects of a counter terrorism measure... There is a lot of information circulating on the web like this which is untrue...

I hope it's untrue!

The journalist writes for a well-known and popular UK tabloid newspaper which is my favourite read if I fancy a bit of negativity and scaremongering, and this is very much their style. It is one of the biggest UK newspapers and I'm sure has an excellent and well-exercised legal department, so I'd like to think they wouldn't publish a load of old nonsense without verifying it very carefully first. Not that I am suggesting that this is a load of old nonsense of course ;P

Sounds basically like an exit visa scheme under a different name and I'd be very surprised if it was ever implemented in its complete form, even if it has been suggested by Mr Brown...

Yes LL the full article was published in the well known tabloid newspaper today.

Apparently this type of questioning/screening is already being sucessfully used in the US according to one lady who commented on the article.

It is also in the Daily Telegraph under '90 facts travellers must tell officials.'

Yes LL the full article was published in the well known tabloid newspaper today.

Apparently this type of questioning/screening is already being sucessfully used in the US according to one lady who commented on the article.

It is also in the Daily Telegraph under '90 facts travellers must tell officials.'Hi, Just had to reply. I am in Texas, USA and we have no such lengtly questionaire to travel in the US or abroad--at least not at this time. Just routine flight scheduling and check-in. I don't know if the rules are different if you are a foreign national traveling thru the US. However, I have not noticed anyone filling out long forms at the check in counters. I have not been back through customs in almost a year so things can change. My only problem is that Heathrow only allows 1 carry on period. No laptop case and a purse. If we travel we adjust--just little sheep bleeting our way through the metal detectors. I still find it well worth the hassles and delays. Coming to Turkey on the 21st. Poohbear

The article sounds so outrageous, like them collecting credit card information, that it just seems beyond reality, but, maybe it's not... It's not uncommon for reporters to file stories without researching their information, or with information from unreliable sources. That's why I'm wondering. Has anyone traveled back to the UK recently who has undergone this kind of screening?

The information, taken when a ticket is bought, will be shared among police, customs, immigration and the security services for at least 24 hours before a journey is due to take place.

It sounds like they're talking about the airlines sharing this info with security officials to compare against a profile, rather than collecting it from you when you arrive at the airport. Some time ago I was separated for extra security measures, randomly, I was told, and asked quite a few extra questions. Probably because I had a one-way ticket.

Sunny, remind me to never doubt you again!

Well I just got back from the base, and there was a news program on with a British security analyst, who basically said just about everything in the article. Apparently a lot of this will be done if you book a flight through a travel agent or online, that is, they'll try to determine if there is something suspicious with the various pieces of info so they know something about you before you even get to the airport. He said there had been 85 attempts at terrorist acts in the UK since 9/11, and that this program is still in the planning phase, but is planned for implementation in 2008 or 2009.

Another issue with the security versus privacy debate, and where the line should be drawn.

I know that there is need for security against these evil nutcases but the thought of giving all this information just rankles. I see no reason, for example, why 'they' should know my credit card number. If I have any terrorist leanings I would get several cards as companies seem to be falling over theirselves to sign you up, and as to where you will be staying...........!

The UK government wants to know too much, it's a bit later but 1984 is happening now.

I had a form earlier this year from the Inland Revenue wanting to know things like- what sort of accomodation I lived in before I went abroad and now and what happened to my personal possessions,did I buy a single , or return ticket etc.

The answer they got to most of the questions was, 'none of your business'!

The credit card thing bugged me too, I don't see any reason they would want the number, but if it was, for example, a card issued to a company suspected of having terrorist ties, or if the ticket was purchased by someone else (as part of other possible indicators, taken as a whole), that kind of thing, I would think that would be what they interested in, rather than the credit card number itself. Unless, perhaps, it was used to buy ammonium nitrate or something like that a week before, and the ticket is one-way leaving the country! I'm trying to figure it out as well.

:P how did I guess?? And the Telegraph as well, that's a bit disappointing...

I wonder what the 37 more facts the Telegraph mentions are?

I travelled back to the UK AND the US last month and while passport control was no less unwelcoming than it normally is (despite the fact that like poohbear I travelled into each country on a national's passport), no-one wanted to know answers to the 53 questions and only the usual forms were issued to non-nationals.

I booked my flights online with BA and as a US passport holder they did ask me to supply a few extra details through their website - that has been policy for a while and I think is to do with making it easy for the US consulate to contact your next of kin should your plane be hijacked and blown up.

I have been asked to provide credit card details when flying before, with American Airlines: showing the card that the ticket was bought with at check-in. I think it's a fraud thing and I'm glad it's not universal because I try not to use credit cards, so often book things like plane tickets on someone else's!

This plan rankles with me too, but for other reasons. I can see the value of being able to prevent terrorism etc; but as the wife of a Turkish national I'm already daunted by the massive restrictions on travel my husband faces, with the existing system already capable of preventing him from coming to visit my family with me as it has done with so many of our friends (We haven't tested this ourselves yet; the experiences of our friends are enough to put us off for now). This suggestion is threatening because it's another thing that will affect the lives of the "little people"; the "big people" are always going to have the systems in place to arrange credit cards/travel plans/whatever's necessary to do what they want to do.

And by the way, if this system is brought into practice, what happens to being able to buy a plane ticket at the airport on the day of travel? Will that be out? Mind you the only time I've had to do that was when I missed a flight at Barcelona, presumably making me too suspicious to be allowed to travel anyway...

I've recently booked flights online as well, using a debit card. With BA, it says if the cardholder is travelling then they must produce the card at check-in, but if not then the card doesn't have to be produced ! What kind of sense does that make ? Perhaps, if the new system is introduced, the forms can be filled in beforehand and just handed in ? If you had to do the thing at check-in, they wouldn't have time to check you out before the flight ! Either way, it's just getting to be so much hassle it's almost enough to put one off travelling altogether !

I wouldn't be a bit surprised Tommy. :P