Sign in to follow this  
libbyxoakdogan

I'm Back With A New Name!

Rate this topic

I am now officially Mrs Akdogan!! :) Went straight to the embassy on the 16th, but as I'd forgotten to bring my birth certificate - tried to chance it anyway - they couldn't sort it out then. Luckily, my sister had some keys to the house, so she went to get my birth certificate then scanned it into the computer and sent it to my email where I was able to print it out. So, on the 17th we went back to the embassy, got my papers sorted out, then made our way to Bergama to get our blood tests sorted, get our pictures done, photocopies of passports, kimlik etc and then get everything finalized. But once we'd had our blood tests done, we were told we wouldn't be able to get any results back till the following Monday...2 days after our wedding! So by this time we were literally pulling our hair out, all these little things getting in our way to stop us getting our hands on the book! We then decided that we'd still have the party on the 19th, exchange rings etc, but once we got back from Marmaris on the 3rd June, we'd have to go back to Bergama with two people acting as witnesses, say "Evet" and then sign the book. So, according to our wedding book we got married on the 5th June...but everybody else thinks it's the 19th May...we'll sort this one out eventually lol! :) Luckily, Kaan's parents live in Bergama, so his Mum went to collect our blood test results for us on the Monday and then kept them safe for us until we got back off of our honeymoon.

Nothing ever goes smoothly in Turkey, but at least it's official now! :) All I need to find out now, is how do I change my name in my passport etc? The lady told Kaan that he can't change his kimlik - relationship status - until 15 days have passed, due to her having to send the papers off etc. Should I wait for the 15 days as well to be on the safe side? And where do I go to change my name, because the book is all in Turkish...do I need to get it translated first? I'm so confused! Had a really lovely 2 weeks in Marmaris too. First time going there, and we were really impressed. Kaan has already been offered a job at the hotel we stayed at, ready for next year, and he got on with everyone so easily - Club Atrium - so you will know where to find us next year, anyone who's in the Marmaris area lol. Can't believe how fast our 3 weeks together went though, can't believe I'm once again back in the UK, waiting for phone calls from Kaan, counting down the days till he's allowed on the internet, snuggling up to his t-shirt every night just to smell him, sending him random messages on facebook when I'm feeling down. But from his week break in December, till 15th May, the time flew by, so hopefully the next 4/5 months will fly by just as quickly - I'm going to Erzurum for a weekend in either October or November to break up the 8 months a little :) And even though we'll only be together for like, 2 days, at least when we say goodbye at Erzurum airport, that's the last time we'll ever have to say goodbye to each other, as the next time we'll be together will be once Kaan has finished his national service. Roll on February! Just hope the rest of this year flies by :)

Hi Libby or should I say Mrs. Akdogan Posted Image. Many congratulations on your wedding even if it was a bit later than you expected, at least you are married now,

I'm assuming you have the red wedding book in your possession, Unless it has changed recently you will see each section has a number. if you look at the back of the book you will see those numbers have been translated into several different languages. I didn't have a problem when I sent it off to the Passport people and only know one person that did. If you don't 'Fast Track' the passport name change in person and send it in the post, I would put a note in with it saying that the Wedding Book is an international document, each section is numbered and translations can be found at the back of the book. You don't need to wait before he gets his new kimlik as you are legally married.

Don't forget you will have to notify your bank of your name change and any credit card companies. Also the tax people will need to know as well, plus driving licence, insurance policies if you have any. If you have a will that will need to be changed as well.

Changing the name in your passport

As you will be going to see Kaan in 4 or 5 months that will break the time up and it will soon be all all over and at last you can start living as husband and wife properly. Posted Image Posted Image

Again many congratulations and hope you spend many happy years together Posted Image Posted Image

I'm really happy for you. Think about how those bitter-sweet memories will make up your history together. On the evening before my wedding we met an old man who had met his wife in a concentration camp Autschwitz and who said to us I don't wish you happiness because happiness happens or doesn't but I do wish you to be united in everything you do. And as years of married life passed on, I realised that that is the most important thing, to be a team and work out bad things and enjoy good things together but always together. So I do wish you many years of united life together.

Posted Image CongratulationsPosted Image May you have a wonderful life together.