Unlocking Mobile Phones

Rate this topic

Hey, I have gone through unlocking my mobile phone twice before, but i have always made sure that they were first unlocked in England to any network. I am bringing two mobile phones over with me next month which i will get unlocked in Vodafone when my family come over in July for our wedding. I was just wondering if i had to make sure that the phones will be unlocked first of all, i will be buying them from Vodafone so they will be locked to the UK Vodafone network, when i bring them over can i just go to get them unlocked in the normal way at Turkey Vodafone without having the hassle of first unlocking the phone in the Uk??

Thanks in advance for all your responses, am starting to panick about the littlest things now days even tho ive moved before etc, i guess because its permanant so want to make sure everything is sorted!! I keep panic buying things aswell!! haha xx

Thanks for replying Abi! :) Yes i know, thats why i wont be unlocking them, my family will unlock them when they come out in July we done this before last year and the people in the shop know us well as we have helped many people to unlock their phones, just didnt know if i was able to use a locked to vodafone phone to unlock in turkey, i cannot unlock another one until October. xx

There are shops in Turkey which unlock phones so that you are able to use other providers but only the registered service provider shops can register the phones so they don't get blocked.

Ye thats what i want, so if i go to the vodafone shop with an english phone that is locked to vodafone, vodafone will then unlock it to use for vodafone in turkey?

Sorry to be a pain, i want to use vodafone as i like their prices the best in Turkey but dont wanna unlock here then unlock again over there when i only need to go to vodafone in turkey and get it unlocked once. xx

There is a difference here between unlocking & unblocking.

Unlocking is being able to use a phone locked to one service supplier so you can use another,ie,buying a mobile from Orange & locked to their network service,then unlocking it so you could use,say O2.

If you buy a phone locked to Vodafone UK,check with them to see wheather it needs unlocking to use with Vodafone TR.

If so,unlock them in the UK,plenty of people advertise this service there,& you can check they have unlocked them & there is nothing lost in translation!!!

Unblocking is something you have to do when you bring a mobile into Turkey,ie a mobile purchased outside of Turkey.

You can buy a sim card from Turkcell,Vodaphone or Avea & put it into a ''foreign'' phone,but after a couple of weeks it will be cut off.

Not the sim but the phone itself.

On bringing a phone that was not purchased here you must within 30days of your last passport entry stamp go to a Turkcell/Vodafone/Avea shop with your passport & pay around 25tl to register the phone & buy a sim card pack,which are about 20tl for sim + 5tl of calls or 45tl for sim + 20tl of calls.

You can only register one ''foreign'' phone every 2 years,& you may find that the sim phone number is registered to you mobile phone.

All information above is correct as of Feb.2012 & from the Bodrum area.

Thanks for replying redders, i will as you say ask vodafone, my brother works for them anyways so will see what they say. I have as you say unblocked 2 phones in Turkey already so know how to do it but thanks for putting it on there for others :) Its just when we brought phones over before they were always unlocked to any network, but as my brother gets 20% discount it made me decide to buy straight from Vodafone so giving me the question what happens when its locked to just one network in the UK. xx