Turkish Greetings, Communications Styles?

Rate this topic

Hello! Could someone share with me any knowledge they have of Turkish customs for greetings? Including how people address each other when they have just met? Is it customary to use surnames? Shake hands? Remove shoes in the home? Are greetings different between different sexes? Share anything you know about appropriate communications styles! Thank you!

Yes it's normal when meeting people to shake hands. Then one of you will say Nasılsınız? - How are you or

Merhaba - Hello.or even Selam, If someone says that to you, you will reply with, İyiyim, teşekkur ederim - Fine, thank you.

When you get to know someone better you don't always shake hands just kiss, each other on each side of the cheeks or just touch cheeks. Family members will just kiss you on each side of the cheek and then hug you.

If it is an older person, to show respect, you should take their hand, lightly kiss the hand and raise it to touch your forehead, then release.

However, please don't be upset if a man will not shake your hand. It's not that they don't like you, it's a religious thing,

When you part company people will may say different things. Hoscakal (Stay well), Gorusuruz (See you later), Kendine iyi bak

(Take care), or they may even just say even Bye-bye.

Generally it is expected when you visit someone's house that you remove your shoes before entering. You can either take you own slippers or they will give you a pair to wear. Here is a link to a thread about slippers. The wearing of slippers is taken very seriously here; hehe

Hope that helps. Posted Image

And sometimes, women will pull their hand away from another woman because they want to be viewed as an equal- NOT the older woman, lol!!!

My husband's family and I are very close, but I still kiss his hand to my forehead and then we hug and kiss. It's more of a kind gesture than some "you will bow down and respect me" thing.

Also, people might say "Hos geldin(inz)." Means "welcome." You then should say "Hos bulduk" wich is kind of like "We feel welcomed."And when you come into the home, you should say Selam Alaykum" and they will say "Alaykum Selam" More than hello, it means that you are greeting someone with the peace of Allah. I don't know how many finer details about meeting you want or why you need to know, but if you are asked to sit down, it's more polite for a woman to not cross her legs and to not show the bottoms of the feet. Just knees together, feet on floor. If that means people could look up your skirt, then your skirt is too short, lol! This is especially true of very traditional homes where women keep hijab.

Hope this helps!

I've never heard Selam Alaykum when visiting homes, I've only heard it in the street when older men meet each other.

If you are going to a home where people sit on the floor, don't wear tight jeans or you will cut off your circulation after a short while.

​Don't be surprised if men and women eat separately, the men first, of course! Also if you are expected to eat on the floor you will be unlikely to get any cutlery, you use bread to scoop up food from a communal dish and for drink a glass for water may well be shared.

It all depends on where the people are from and how they live, the above mainly happens in the villages.