Sign in to follow this  
swabs

What To Expect In A Village Wedding.

Rate this topic

Hey all,As im sure all of you know, i am going to be getting married in July in side where all mine and Haluks family will come down for our big wedding. We shall be having a mixed cultural wedding which i am pretty excited about it.

I found out recently tho that we shall be having another wedding 'wedding party' in Nigde when we go to visit in June, they said to get another dress as we will be holding a proper village wedding but without the signing of papers and exchange of rings (we will just exchange puzzle rings for our right hands on that day instead)Now i was just wondering what to expext in this wedding, I mean i know pretty much how turkish weddings go, but im starting to get pretty nervous seeing as i shall be the only non-Turkish person there and i am told there will be like 300 people attending!! HAWe are having it as Haluks mum really wants to have all the neighbours and people in the village attend a wedding party to celebrate our wedding, i guess in a way to show me off as we will not have our wedding in Nigde.

Any stories about what people have experienced or advice for what to watch out for would be great!!

I am really excited to be having two weddings and to actually experience a proper Turkish one aswell :) xx

I do hope you like being the centre of attention Swabs ! A village wedding is very different to our weddings and I can only describe these weddings as organised chaos.

My comments are based on personal experience, from the Turkish weddings I have been to. Don't wear high heels, walking on a dirt road or field can be a real problem. Normally a traditional wedding takes at least three days.

Haluks mom may expect you to have a henna night - Kina Gecesi the Turkish equivalent of the hen night. if you don't want to be "hennaed" say so, ( I have had henna done on my leg and hand but I am not a fan) all the other ladies dip in and use up the henna. the ladies sing and dance and carry lighted candles. The bride has a fine veil over her head . The female guests ululate a lot at weddings

Usually village weddings are held outside they don't have the wedding salons found in the towns and cities , loads of white plastic chairs are put in the area where the wedding is held and guests are from the local area, no invitations people just turn up. plenty of food music and dancing. Posted Image

Some weddings have musicians many have a DJ or a mixture of both. there is no best man, bridesmaids at village weddings.

The highlight of any Turkish wedding is the "pinning" where they pin the money on the bride and groom, they put a sash on you and somebody stands by with a bowl of pins. Sometimes people pin gold coins with a red bow bought from the jeweller ,you may be lucky and this will happen twice as you are having two weddings Posted Image

I have kept this short, I could write pages about the weddings I have been to and the unusual things I have seen, I have always enjoyed them and I know you will have a wonderful time at your village wedding. Enjoy this special time

Posted Image

I do hope you like being the centre of attention Swabs ! A village wedding is very different to our weddings and I can only describe these weddings as organised chaos.

I dont mind but im sure i will be very shy at first until everyone starts dancing etc! I do know that i will freak out and get really panicky when everyone is speaking Turkish too me at once...

I speak Turkish but when i am overwealmed my mind goes pretty blank!

My comments are based on personal experience, from the Turkish weddings I have been to. Don't wear high heels, walking on a dirt road or field can be a real problem. Normally a traditional wedding takes at least three days.

Luckily for this situation but unforunetely for life, i cant really wear high heels as being 5ft 7 and Haluk being the same height as me he doesnt like me being taller than him lol

Haluks mom may expect you to have a henna night - Kina Gecesi the Turkish equivalent of the hen night. if you don't want to be "hennaed" say so, ( I have had henna done on my leg and hand but I am not a fan) all the other ladies dip in and use up the henna. the ladies sing and dance and carry lighted candles. The bride has a fine veil over her head . The female guests ululate a lot at weddings.

Usually village weddings are held outside they don't have the wedding salons found in the towns and cities , loads of white plastic chairs are put in the area where the wedding is held and guests are from the local area, no invitations people just turn up. plenty of food music and dancing. Posted Image

Some weddings have musicians many have a DJ or a mixture of both. there is no best man, bridesmaids at village weddings.

Yes we shall have to Henna parties, one at the village wedding before the day and one that we always planned for, before our actual wedding with all my family present aswell :) Yes i think we are having a folk band as thats what me and haluk really love is turkish folk music, i cant wait to be dancing to it as i love turkish dancing! Whenever we want to go out for special occasion we always go to a Folk bar and usually i get mistaken for turkish when we are all dancing lol. O and thats good with regards to best mens/bridesmaids etc as i had enough stress with the actual wedding lol.

The highlight of any Turkish wedding is the "pinning" where they pin the money on the bride and groom, they put a sash on you and somebody stands by with a bowl of pins. Sometimes people pin gold coins with a red bow bought from the jeweller ,you may be lucky and this will happen twice as you are having two weddings Posted Image

I have kept this short, I could write pages about the weddings I have been to and the unusual things I have seen, I have always enjoyed them and I know you will have a wonderful time at your village wedding. Enjoy this special time

Posted Image

Yes we shall be doing pinning twice as i told all my family that i want gold or money for that and also we have many friends living in side who are all coming.

Thank you sooo much for everything you said, please feel free to tell me more as i love hearing about it! Also some stories of the weddings you have attended would be great as they are always really interesting!! xxx

I'd learn how to do some of the traditional folk dances- It's more than likely they'll do one of those circle line dances and you don't want to feel on the spot or left out!

Regarding the kinah, if you don't want your nails to get stained, be sure to NOT clench the green stuff with your nails (esp if they are unpolished). Then again, you might like that as a memory. You'll have half rust colored half moons on your nails for MONTHS! If you really don't, I'd slather on some extra thick hand lotion on before so it won't soak in as much.

Thanks for your advice with regards to the henna, i really dont want stained fingernails!!!

With regards to the dancing i may not be fluent in turkish or anything like that, but i am very good at turkish dancing and especially doing the ones in the line. We actually are preforming the eagle dance in front of everyone aswell. Haluk used to be in a dancing group that toured and i picked it up really quickly a few years ago :) xx

Sounds cool! We didn't have dancing at our wedding (ours was more religious) but we did go to anothers over the summer and I picked up a few. I liked the three legged one! I don't know the eagle one, but I'll check it out. I also like the deli horon. Looks like a good workout!

Hmm i cant remeber what it is called in Turkish but when haluk next calls i shall ask him and then post a link for it. Hahahaha yeah i love the deli horon!!! xx

I just Youtubed it and your right it is the Kartal Dansi!! Haluks signature dance haha.

I think the halay dance is my fav, i love it when starts to get faster :) xx

I think Aston covered most points about village weddings that I've been to. People seem to come and go and food is dished out all day, probably kuru fasuliye and rice. The ones I've been to have had a clarinet and drummer playing continuously.

I would certainly take Aston's advice and wear flat shoes, like those little ballerina ones that are popular at the moment.

I hope you have a fantastic time.