Sign in to follow this  
Louisemarie

Happy Stories About Relationships With Turkish Men

Rate this topic

Was thinking that as the summer season is nearly upon us, the dreaded Take a Break magazine will soon be publishing countless articles about love rats. I thought maybe as a group we could get together a load of our stories (funny, romantic, etc) to show that not all Turkish men should be grouped the same. A sort of chick lit book put together by people who have inside intelligence on these relationships. Not sure how we would go about it, but I could enquire as to getting it published if we get that far.

I am thinking along the lines of "Light hearted reading for holidaymakers"Am sure many of you have interesting stories to tell of how you met your partner and how you coped with the cultural differences.

It's about time we overcame all this prejudice BS ......ok.......who wants to go first?????

This might be a slow starter as a topic but i hope not as its always great to read everyone's stories!! Its always good when people start to write and then everyone starts snowballing their stories in. I will be naughty and wait for the first one before posting one as i have so many little stories but dont really know where to start haha xx

Yea was just thinking how I would start mine......really difficult!!!!!

Mete said I should ask the "Turkish wives club" round here but to be honest most of them look a bit hacked off with their lives ....and when I see them it's normally coz they are yelling at their hubby in the street outside the kebab shops where they work ;)

Hahahaha thats funny!!! There isnt really a club in Side, Most of the Expats are retired and doing their own thing, altho i think i might brave going to one of the quiz nights this summer to test the waters with that one!

When i met Haluk he pretended he couldnt speak much English, I was on holiday (as of most people lol) and we became friends because he was always miserable and never spoke to customers so i annoyed him. One day he said to me 'your hot' I was think what did i just hear that right, then he swerved and got his mate (who speaks terrible english) to say he didnt speak great English and was saying its really hot here so im hot haha. This even tho i had spoken to Haluk many a times, but i always spoke slowely thinking he couldn't understand me.

Haluk never ever tried it on with me and i was there for 2 weeks, he knew i liked him as i said i was planning to come back in september with the response 'ooo will you bring friends for me' with that making me annoyed and storming off, apparently this was a strategy to see if i was interested in him Posted Image. One time when i was speaking to one of my now Turkish friends haluk came out and joined the conversation, and what i thought was a bit of a joke was him "marking his terroritory" so to speak letting him know he liked me. It wasnt until I went back to England that either of us let each other know we liked each other and started to build a relationship.

Loooooong story short, we have been together for 2 years, lived together for 1 and getting married in July and also having an early 'wedding party' marriage in haluks home town Nigde, something his mother wants so she can "show me off" lol Posted Image

I do have some funny stories to share about starting out living together when we were learning the cultural differences, but thought that long winded story of how we met was enough for a starting post haha (sorry if i bored anyone) xx

Swabs that really made me chuckle.....especially marking the territory :)I had just split up with my English husband, wasn't looking for love, in fact wasn't looking for anything. Was out clubbing with my friends and was absolutely p****d right up and dancing round like I was beyonce. I came off the dance floor to find my friend and mete was there SMILING at me. His first words to me we're.....you are the most beautiful woman in the club.......my first words to him we're.......

I am not intererested in your Turkish charm school words....

GO AWAY. We laugh about it now but apparently (mete and my friend tell me) I was really rude to him most of the evening, wouldn't let him buy me a drink, pretended I couldn't understand him etc (obviously the sober me is ashamed of this). Anyway eventually my friend decided that she would cop off with his friend so I was stuck with him. He gave us all a lift back to my friends house where we sat and had a coffee. The other pair disappeared so I asked him to drive me home....he did, he came in for coffee and we sat up all night talking.....before he left he added me on Facebook and said might see you next time I am in the club. Two days later he rang me having got my number from my Facebook profile and asked me out. We went for dinner the next night and I swear I fell in love with him in the first hour (kept this to myself for a bloody long time tho).

Awww thats sweet!!! LOVE what you said to him, he was persistent tho!! Even hunting down your number ;)Yeah i think the thing that makes me laugh when i look back now is the fact i had no idea how good his English is as he's an English teacher and speaks fluently so i must have looked like a proper idiot for a while, bet he got a good laugh out of it tho!! xx

Ha ha ha the fact that he's an English teacher really does make it even funnier.....what a little sod pretending he couldn't speak it properly :)Wow....that's the first two pages of the book done...l...now just need about another 148 and it will be ready lol

Ill check them out then!! Altho i probs wont have any say as they are organising everything for that one and me and Haluk have done all the planning for the proper wedding, i say we i mean i tell and he agrees!! haha. However when i next speak to Haluk i will mention the shop and see if he recognises it. It will be my first time in Nigde as well, so will keep everyone up to date how it goes haha xxx

Sweet story though, thanks Aston.

Fil, I don't think they do as I used to get a lot of tortoises in my old garden and all the Turks called them turtles. I tried to put them right but they wouldn't have it. I liked the story as well and remember when I read when it when it was first published it made me smile..

I had been going on holiday to Turkey (Bodrum) 5 years before i met my husband and had never been intrested in turkish men just was intrested in getting a tan and partying hard as you do...

This one year i was not suppose to be going on Holiday and i booked with a few friends a week before we was due to fly. That was when i saw him i was extremely attracted to him and my friends son was friendly with him and spent alot of time with him in the shop he worked in... He started to come out with us and i got even more attracted to him. I came back to england and we talked a few times on odd occasions and then i went again the following year with a few friend i didn't know where he worked this year as he had moved and i was walking along the beach and he spotted me and shouted which made my heart melt and i got very nervous but i just thought i'm just another girl he is hitting on as that's what i have seen turkish men do and you all probably know what i mean lol anyway on my first night i decided to go back to my hotel as i was tired and found myself walking behind him with another girl luckily he did not see me and it answered was was playing in my head so from then i decided to just remain friendly with him and not fall for his charm. My friend decided to tell him that i seen him and i was walking behind him and he admitted it but said ''nothing happened they just kissed!'' lol as they all say haha so anyway i avoided him for the rest of my holiday until the last day when he asked to speak to me so we took a walk and had a talk and when i returned back to UK he talked to me everynight when he closed his shop and discussed work and friends and other things nothing relationship wise so i thought good i wont get hurt... i went again in september that year and he spent all the time he had off work with me and my friends he came out to bars with us also i spent a few nights sitting on the beach talking about his family and life and childhood and also about my family and life which after that i was even more in lust with him and i was falling for him even more then we spent a night together and he told me that it was the first time he had ever slept over with a girl before and that he really wanted it to work between us... as i was getting ready to go home he pulled me away from my friends and he asked me if i wanted to be his girlfriend and try and make things work and i agreed on the condition that he does not try with any other girls and it is easy to ask but if he did i would never know as the distance makes it easier for them to lie but he had this thing about him that made me trust him. Again when i returned to UK he was talking to me everynight for hours when he finnished work and also used to send me random txt messages telling me that he is thinking about me ect. He asked me if i was going to be going back to Bodrum the next year and i said yes but then later i fell ill and had to take a few weeks off work so i couldnt afford to pay for a holiday so he told me that he will pay for me to go because he wants me to go so i agreed and when i got there he was so nervous and he to scared to kiss me at first and then when we checked into the hotel all he kept saying is i can't believe you are here. it doesn't feel real that you are here with me now. It was the perfect 2 weeks i had ever spent in Turkey and i was a girl totally in love. When i went back to the UK i had a thing on my phone where i had unlimited calls to 1 international number so we spent hours talking on the phone about everything then i went in september and he paid for an apartment for the both of us and i stayed for a month and he took the whole month off work to spend as much time with me he possibly could. Then one night he asked me if i wanted to go into Bodrum and we walked along the beach and the marina and he took me into this beautiful restaraunt with a candle on the table and he ordered a cake to share between us and it was perfect and to make it even more perfect he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was so happy with what was just happening.

During our relationship we have had a few fall outs and girls interfering into the relationship at the beggining making up lies to split us up... funniest one was Siddik was on camera to me talking to me and he recieved a txt from a girl he had previously has a fling with saying ''I have just seen Sarah in a bar in Manchester all over another guy'' oh yeah i have cloned myself so i can be sat at home on cam and in Manchester at the same time stupid girl lolAnyway our relationship has been very strong and we have now been together for 3 years today :D and we just got married in June and i have never been happier so Turkish and English relationships do work but i think you both have to have trust in each other beable to overcome whatever is thrown at you.

That was a lovely story Sarah and thanks for sharing. I hope you spend many happy years together. Will you be coming to Turkey to live or will your husband be joining you in the UK? :)