10 Romantic Things To Do In Istanbul

Rate this topic

Whether you are a tourist or a resident of Istanbul, here are some unusual places to visit. I would not say they are very romantic but they are off the tourist trail and well worth a visit.

http://behindthebazaar.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/10-romantic-things-to-do-in-istanbul.html

http://behindthebazaar.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/10-romantic-things-to-do-in-istanbul.html

Having been fortunate enough to visit İstanbul on many occasions and having seen most of the main visitor attractions, on more recent visits (although not for a couple of years now), I have enjoyed ambling away from the usual tourist trails. These articles give plenty of scope for doing just that and I have "saved" them for our next trip. Many thanks for the links, Aston.

Nothing like a bit of romance, eh?

I think there are a number of places on that list that look interesting and I will, like you dande, save them for the next visit.

These are all great, I have done all of them with mrs fil and can vouch for the romantic element. I would add a few more: Pierre Loti, Hıdıv Kasrı (magnificent toilet), the fish restaurant (the one with the bloody great stuffed eagle) by Beşiktaş market, Yıldız Park (I was there one January with snow on the ground, heard some movement in the undergrowth and investigated thinking it might be a wildboar or something, turned out to be a couple of students being 'romantic', hardy souls), Çırağan Palace (pricey), the Orient Bar in the Pera Palace (also pricey), Develi Restaurant in Samatya (like Kumkapı but not so pricey).

Vic, have a few romantic few days at the Ascot Hotel in Buyukada its soooo lovelyPosted Image I first went to Buyukada on day trip then went back for a short stay a couple of years later. One evening some years ago I was out on a date with my significant Turkish other and we were sitting outside a restaurant on the Galata bridge looking out to sea . In the distance a firework display started. Look look I said excitedly.... fireworks. Yes, my beloved answered, I put them on just for you Posted Image I know its cheesy and we both laughed at the time and we are still laughing .........that is when he doesn't drive me to this Posted Image

I made my boyfriend to read these links and told him he should take me there. He accepted everything else except two of them: Belgrade Forest ("good place for raping" "even if i was with you?" "you never know") and Galata Bridge ("not romantic, just way too noisy") :D

Fen , Belgrade Forest isn't actually in Istanbul its about 15 kms outside and swarms with families at the weekends with hordes of food and barbecues . there are seven designated picnic areas and cafes. Lots of nature to see and things to do.

There is a jogging track that weaves through the woods with exercise places along the way with free equipment for people to use. there are also camping areas in the forest. So I was surprised at your boyfriends comment for the middle of a city can be dangerous.

Galata Bridge, I did not find particularly noisy and for me romance is intangible , its what you both feel at a cerrtain time or place its what memories are made of. In my opinion Posted Image

I think the Kumkapi area could have been included I have had some lovely evenings there, aah memories Posted Image

I would agree that the Galata bridge restaurants are not the most romantic of places especially when they are vibrating with traffic. :D

Oh, I beg to differ. Nothing could be more romantic than the unique atmosphere of the bars on the Galata Bridge. I don't mean the expensive restaurants on the side that faces the Bosphorous, I mean the other side that looks up the Golden Horn, which is mainly bars. Great for sundowners, the pollution creates amazing red and purple and violet sunsets as the sun sinks behind the Mosques of Suleyman and Selim, February or March the ideal time for a tryst there, huddling together for warmth whilst savouring the view and the smell of charcoal and burning rubber. In the old days the bridge used to shudder and judder as the lorries and buses went over the joints of the parts that went up and down.