Sign in to follow this  
libbyxoakdogan

Things Are Starting To Come Along Nicely!

Rate this topic

Finally got my certificate of no impediment up at the register office today! When I was signing everything, it suddenly hit me how real and how soon this is. I nearly starting crying...tears of happiness, obviously Posted Image

Only 8 weeks to go until I'm back with Kaan...or 7 weeks and 5 days Posted Image And it's 8 weeks on Saturday until our actual wedding!

Starting to stress a little now, especially about the venue. Kaan's sister went to find out how much it would be at a few places, we like the sound of one in particular, but when I tell Kaan to ask his sister if she could book it for us, he says he wants to find something cheaper. Well, I think we have a good deal already...and with only 8 weeks to go we need to book something otherwise we won't have a venue, and we'll be having a "street party" ha ha! Um, no thanks. Need to kick him into action...it's not like he's got a very hard job to do...he just picks up the phone, dials his sister's number and kindly asks her to book the place for us. When he rings me later, I'll keep on stressing how important it is and how it needs to be done - plus, we need to tell our guests where to go, obviously, or nobody will turn up!

Also, does anyone know how long it takes over there to make a wedding cake? Because we get there on the 15th, late at night, so the 16th is going to be our day to get everything ready - the wedding is on the 19th - that doesn't give us a lot of time to get a wedding cake made. Will those few days be long enough, or do you think we'd have to ask Kaan's family to sort it out for us? Because one of Kaan's friends in the army works at a bakers, and he says they do wedding cakes in a day or two...but I'm pretty sure over here they take a couple of months - any clues Posted Image

Thought I'd fill everyone in, as I've not been on in a while! So, expect multiple posts from me over the next 8 weeks - I'm gonna be one big ball of stress that's gonna need calming down once in a while lol!

Im glad its all coming together for you libby!! I know how you feel with the feeling hitting you, I tried my wedding dress on with all the trimmings last week and was so emotional!!

I understand how your stressing about the venue, i also spend alot of time when i speak to Haluk asking him to find venues, altho its a different story with us as he does contact our friends and trying to sort it out in his little spare time, but at the moment in Side they are knocking alot of places down to re-build the road, so many of the destinations we wanted are under reconstruction (fingers crossed they will be built within the next month for the season).

With regards to the cake, i dont know what the least time is. All i know is our friend owns three patisseries and always tells us to talk about the cake a week before the birthday etc (altho i will be straight over to their shop the day i land to say hello and show them exactly what i want. Maybe instead of having the tight time frames you could find pictures of cakes you want, so Kaans family can order what you want!! Otherwise why dont you ask them to pop down where you will buy it to ask whats the shortest notice you need. Maybe they can help you out.

Hope everything else is coming along nicely, i know how stressful everything is, and being in England and Fiancee being in army just makes it even harder!!

Kirsty xx

We had our ceremony at a formal venue, but what they did was have a dummy cake for us to "cut" and the sheet cake was already laid out on plates. So, it's not like the edible works of art I've seen at non-Turkish weddings. Not what I was used to, but from what I understood, the cake is not that much of a focus as to what we are accustomed. I was also shocked that we had to pay the help extra money to get the knife!

Haha another person i spoke too said they had to pay for the knife to be brought aswell!! lolThe Marriage hall is our last option for us, we both really want somewhere in the gardens as it will be in the middle of summer on the evening.

I cant believe you had a dummy cake mutlu, altho i know that this is becoming more popular, even seeing it on Big Fat Gypsie Weddings, they just cover the top with Icing and jobs a good'n.

Me and Haluk are having two weddings, our first one is in his hometown with 300 of the town going and haluks family and Haluk organising it so im happy for whatever happens, the second one all his family, my family and our friends where we live in side will be there, thats when we will have a proper mixed wedding and everything we both want :) xx

Maybe instead of having the tight time frames you could find pictures of cakes you want, so Kaans family can order what you want!! Otherwise why dont you ask them to pop down where you will buy it to ask whats the shortest notice you need. Maybe they can help you out.

Good idea Swabs. They take a long time in the UK because they are like Xmas cakes, here they are sponge cakes and can done quickly.

Hi Libby glad that everything is progressing for you.

When we had our wedding party in Turkey (not that we were actually married then, but that is another story) the wedding cake was seven layers of sponge cake with fresh fruit filling and covered in whipped cream.

So it is not the type of heavy fruit cake that is normal in England, so does not take weeks to mature and can be ready in a couple of days.

ooo Turkish Cakes are sooo much better!!! I wouldnt ever want to have a fruit cake even if i was to marry in England so a nice sponge cake, with cream icing is lovely :) yum yum hahaO and Aston those cakes are amazing but crazy!! You must have to have so many guests to not have waste from them!! xx

Yeah, I was totally surprised by that dummy cake. The one that was cut was okay. I couldn't be too preoccupied about that aspect. I arrived in Turkey the end of June and got married one week later. I had to pick my dress (my MIL's BF has a dress shop, so I was lucky!), set the menu, have a kinah night... The cake was not a huge concern. I was more into the wedding invitations. We Skyped and found one I just loved! Cream and silver with irredescent raised letterhead. We sent out almost 300, so I really wanted them to be perfect! I'll see if I can find a link to the website!

Cakes in the states are more buttercream and ganache, btw. And can I just ask what the fascination is with red velvet over here? Do you guys have that obsession? I can see that flying in Turkey, but I am SO OVER IT here in the States!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and remember not to bite your nails. :D

Thank you everyone! Posted Image

Yellowcatt that cake looks amazing! Makes me feel better to know that your cake was made in only a few days. So, we get there late on the 15th...but we won't have time to do anything until the 16th, do you think 4 days is enough time to get the cake done then? Or should we ask Kaan's sister to go and talk to the baker a week before?

Ah MutluKadin, it's great to know you were only in Turkey for a week before your wedding day - like me on that one! Glad to see it could all get done in a short time. Determination is the key ha Posted Image What did you do about your blood tests? Because some people say you need the actual results back but other people that got married last year, are telling me they just needed the piece of paper to prove you've done the test, so I'm a little confused on that one.

Don't worry Sunny! Been growing my nails like mad since the beginning of the year - don't think they've ever been so long in my life ha ha! I go for regular manicures at my local salon as well so they stay a nice rounded shape! Just hope the stress doesn't end up taking it's toll ha ha!

At the minute, due to Kaan being in the army and only getting out to use the internet once a fortnight, he doesn't really have much time to make phone calls to venues etc. So I found a place in Buca on the internet the other night, and gave him the number - the amount of times I've stressed to him to call them these past few days and it's always, "Yeah, I'm going to call them tomorrow babe." Men, eh? ;):P His sister has also been in to talk to this other venue in Buca, so I told him if he doesn't get in contact with this place by Sunday, then he needs to contact his sister to book this other place, as we need to get it booked so we can tell our friends, whom are coming from Altinkum and Akbuk, where to meet us on the day.

Oh, and one last question...does anyone know any decent priced hotels in Izmir, mainly Konak and Alsancak way, for my parents and friends?

As far as I can remember when we had our wedding reception, with a similar cake, it was only ordered about four days in advance.

I suppose it depends on how busy the baker is but I think it would be safest to have someone order it a week in advance.

It will make it easier for the baker if they are able to plan their work.

How long for the cake will depend on how big you want it and how elaborate but I would say 4 days is more than enough, To be on the safe side get Kaans sister to go to where she knows they will do a good job and ask them. If you have a photo of the cake that would be even better. Maybe if his family a have camera they can take some pictures and send them to you,Blood tests, To be on the safe side get Kanns sister to go the the registrar and ask them.

I'm amazed that Kaan's family haven't already made all the arrangements already as the grooms parents normally pay for everything including buying the furniture and also your dress, so you have been lucky. :)

I don't live in Izmir as you know so can't recommend any hotels but here's a website with most Izmir hotels on it. I used 'Bookers' when I went to the SE of Turkey in December and was happy with their ratings and reviews.http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=izmir-xq46BLqdMDwyVwpjlndmLQS8395289421;sid=9637a3e829db835fab89bf9de4730be0;dcid=0;city=-755097

Yellowcatt and Abi thank you for the advice about the cake! Kaan is having a day on the internet tomorrow, so I will look through pictures with him and ask him to give his sister a ring. And about his family - my parents are sorting out a lot of the things, because they're doing it how it is over here, where the Bride's parents pay for the wedding. But Kaan's family are going to be doing a lot of things like the food and they're getting me a dress sorted for the henna night (sorry, don't know the proper name for it!) for the night before. But I was talking to Kaan's sister on facebook the other day and we were sorting out a few things, so it was nice to be able to talk - as well as I could ha - directly with his family instead of going through Kaan all the time and having to wait until he has time to ring them. We don't expect his family to do much though, as they don't have much money, so any little way they can participate is lovely :)And thankyou Sunny! I'll take a look at that website now.

We had blood tests done and the results were ready three days later. We did need the results. However you can go to a clinic no appointment and no waiting point out you want them quickly.

Aine, yeah I guess so. As long as we just explain our situation to them we should get them back quickly :)

When we went to get our blood tests they took them straight away and said come back 2 days later so im sure you will be fine!! I would just advice to go to the clinics specially for taking blood as if you go to hospitals, from our experience they mess you around. All the hospitals we visited wanted to charge us alot more and make us wait a week. xx

Yeah! Luckily there's a clinic just up the street from where Kaan's sister lives - and where we will be staying in Izmir - so that's handy! We're gonna pop in there once my suitcase is dropped off at his sister's on the night I arrive to ask them and explain :)Just had a minor glitch! Kaan rang up a few places today and they're fully booked for the evening of the 19th...but we can have our wedding during the day at one of these venues. Now, on my certificate I put down about 6pm for the wedding - would it matter at all if we had the wedding at a different time?

Why don't you get Kaan's sister to pop into the clinic and ask before hand so if they can't do it quickly she can find a place that does,

Thats a good idea abi, I think you will be ok Libby tho as usually the clinics are pretty fast. Im pretty sure aswell if Kaan explains he is only on a break from military that they would be able to help you out xx

Yeah! Hopefully if we explain they'll be able to work around it :)