Catholicism In Turkey

Rate this topic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mathew 6:6But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you

Just back to one point that came up about proselytism. While the Turkish constitution acknowledges the individual's right to practice their religion, it does not allow proselytising, converting people

Hi Pureawsome, there are some churches in Turkey, though obviously nowhere near as many as there are mosques! There are actually Christian Turks, too, so you can find yourself worshipping next to a

So I'm like a devout Catholic but I worry that it would be hard to function with such little christianity in Turkey. Is christianity at least increasing gradually? Any other christians feel the way I do?

Hi Pureawsome, there are some churches in Turkey, though obviously nowhere near as many as there are mosques!Posted Image There are actually Christian Turks, too, so you can find yourself worshipping next to a local Turk. Even some Muslims will go to a church for quiet reflection, possibly in the same way a Christian could occasionally reflect and pray in a mosque.Posted Image

Of course, the majority of Turks are Muslim, and I haven't heard of Christianity increasing in Turkey, but depending on where you live - and with so many Christians living in Turkey - you should find a place to worship.

Regarding not being able to function with such little Christianity, only you can decide that - when or if you eventually live in Turkey. Personally, I think we can pray to God wherever we are. I'm a Christian but I've said a prayer in a mosque and Mr L - who is a Muslim - has said a prayer in a church and lit candles etc. Neither of us renounced our faiths when doing so - but we like to think that God (or Allah as Muslims call Him) wouldn't mind too much where we prayed - as long as we meant well!Posted Image

Of course, if you want to go to regular services and so on, then you will need to find a Catholic church - where in Turkey are you thinking of moving to?

L x

So I'm like a devout Catholic but I worry that it would be hard to function with such little christianity in Turkey.

I don't understand what you mean by that phase, could you explain it in more detail. There are Christian churches in the large cities and I believe in the holiday resorts if there isn't a church and there are enough people interested they have a place to go to.

I also don't understand what you mean by "function". Why would you choose to live somewhere you feel there is so little Christianity ? You don't sound very tolerant.

Yet for hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire promoted religious tolerance. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, rejected tying his new government to Islam. Turkey is officially a secular country.

I would have thought that you could live a Christian life wherever you lived even if you were the only person in that area. To follow any religion it doesn't need buildings, robes or chanting does it?

No,

I would have thought that you could live a Christian life wherever you lived even if you were the only person in that area. To follow any religion it doesn't need buildings, robes or chanting does it?

No, but if you want to go to confession every Saturday evening, don't come to Cappadocia for example where there are no officiating priests as far as I am aware. I can understand that you would have difficulties living in some areas of Turkey if you want to function in the same way as you would do in Ireland or Liverpool for example. If you want to live your faith while adapting to regional differences, Turkey is the ideal place to be.

I wonder if there are facilities to make confessions by Skype?

Very probably, but you'd still have the problem of administration of the sacraments which has to be done by an ordained priest. It would depend which strain of Catholicism you belong to and how practising you are.
Ah! Well I suppose bread and wine could be blessed on Skype too but going through a whole service for one person would be too time consuming. If you live away from your church you have to be flexible.

I think it is a good question to ask if the sacraments are important to you. I have a Peruvian friend who lived in Cappadocia and who was very upset by the fact that she could not find anywhere to go for Holy Communion, have her children baptised or administer extreme unction. It was one of the major factors in their decision to move to Istanbul.

I also don't understand what you mean by "function". Why would you choose to live somewhere you feel there is so little Christianity ? You don't sound very tolerant.

Yet for hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire promoted religious tolerance. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, rejected tying his new government to Islam. Turkey is officially a secular country.

It might be difficult to "function" if you are used to the social interaction within your church. A person shouldn't really need any mediator (like an organised church or mosque) in the relationship with their preferred higher being (but that's just my personal opinion).

It's true that Turkey is officially supposed to be a secular country...... so why is the PM meddling in religious affairs, trying to say we must raise conservative religious children? And why do we still have compulsory religious education in schools ?Posted Image

And why does France, who gets all het up about signs of religion in schools and administrations celebrate the 15th August as a public holiday (The feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary)!!

But I'm not against religious education in schools. How can you read the literature of your own country without understanding its cultural (historically religious) influences? How can you understand Judeo-Christian references in Shakespeare, William Blake or D.

H. Lawarence if you have never read anything from the Bible?

Mathew 6:6But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you

What do you mean by that PA? Have you no useful comments to make or add to what's been said here?

Okay so maybe using the word "function" was not so much of an clear move.

Sorry, I missed the post stating PA was thinking of coming to Turkey, but PA posted the above yesterday which is not much of an explanation. It would be nice to have had a bit more feedback.

Dont worry abi your not alone, I too am nosey in a good way. I think it helps to understand everyone a bit better and who they are.

I really hope PA that even if you cant find a church close to where you are looking to live, it doesnt put you of moving to Turkey as it is such a wonderful country xx

i think what you have to bear in mind is that whilst 90 odd % of the Turkish population is classed as Muslim it doesn't mean that all of them are devout Muslim and pray 5 times a day every day. Within that figure there will be people who don't actually believe in Allah at all, some that pray 5 times a day or some that just pray some times. Like Vic said the UK population would overwhelmingly be classed as followers of the Church of England but the percentage of actual true believers of that religion would be somewhat different.

I would say, and is only my opinion that if you came to Turkey you wouldn't have a problem following your faith if you found a Christian church near you. But...whilst Turkey is secular it wouldn't be a good if a Christian thought it would be a good idea to spread the word to try and convert people to their faith.