Sign in to follow this  
Louisemarie

Met My Turkish Husband In Uk And His Work Visa Was Rejected

Rate this topic

Hi all - my name is Louise and I am new here (although I will admit I have been reading posts on here for months).

I live in the UK and met Mete nearly two years ago. He had been in this country for 5 years but originally came here on a spouse visa - his marriage broke up before the two years so he changed his visa status to a work permit visa. In August 2009 his visa was up and after over a year of wrangling with the home office by him, his solicitor/agent and myself the UK border agency told him to go home before they came to remove him. We had been living together for nearly a year by this time.

Mete returned to Turkey in November 2011 and we agreed that the only option available to us was to get married. I went to Turkey in December and we got married on Christmas Day. We put all documents into Istanbul on 28th December 2011.........

I had a call from the Agency asking if I was still happy to sponsor him on 8th January 2012 - obviously I said yes. Since then we have heard nothing. I have a full time job, no dependents, my own home and car nd money in the bank...we proved all this with documents, we proved we had been living together in UK and also proved Mete had ample funds in his bank to support his return to the UK.

Worldbridge have urgently emailed the Visa Department (after I paid them $14 and a 15 minute call to Turkey) but two days later we still havent been contacted - they promised a response in 48 hours. Am starting to panic now and wondering if he is ever going to get back here. Any help, advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks x

Hi and welcome to our forum Louisemarie and congratulations on your recent married. Please don't be worried, if you received a phone call on the 8th January it doesn't mean that because you haven't heard anything since that there is a problem. You didn't say which visa you applied for but would expect it to have been a Settlement Visa.

Settlement Visa's can take anywhere from about 5 weeks up to 24 weeks before you get a response one way or the other. The fact that your husband was in the UK previously might mean they will check him out via the Home Office in the UK and therefore it may take longer to get your answer. But as he returned to Turkey himself it will will go in his favour. Also now that you are married and from what you stated above you will meet the requirement regarding money and housing I don't think there should be a problem providing you submitted all the paperwork required and answered all questions correctly..

If the worst comes to the worst and your husband is refused you will have the right to appeal and appeals have a very high success rate. So whilst it is a nail biting and stressful time you are going through you will get through it even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

I would also say don't be surprised if Worldbridge comes back to you and just says your application is still being assessed and they can't tell you anymore, it isn't anything to worry about although I can understand you are anxious.

So chin up and try not to worry Posted Image

[*]Thanks for your reply. This whole visa situation has stressed me out so much and knowing that it could take up to 24 weeks has sent me into an emotional meltdown. Thank god for Skype, Viber, Facebook and email!!!! I am finding it hard because I havent told any of my friends or family about his visa as I dont want any more prejudice against our relationship.....having said that...trying to explain his absence is becoming more and more difficult every day.

[*]Tomorrow I am going to book a week off work and go to see him because that will make me feel I have something with a fixed date to look forward to.....well thats the plan anyway.

Not sure why I got bullet points.....didnt actually mean for them to be there Posted Image

Sorry Louise didn't want to cause you any more stress :( it's just that people can get told that it will only be 5 weeks and when they don't hear anything at that time they panic. It's not very often people have to wait 24 weeks but I felt it was something you should be aware of so you don't tear your hair out.

Can't you tell people one of his relatives needed him to work for them for a few months and he couldn't refuse.

I know it's not easy but try to stay calm. As Abi says you seem to have all the things the border agency look for so be positive.

Congratulations on your marriage and I hope it won't be long before you are together again.

Thanks for your messages. I have told people that he is selling a family business in Turkey (in fact this is true but he doesnt really need to be there to do it)......somehow tho, as time goes on I get the feeling they dont believe me.....am not really bothered what they think but I hate them thinking I am a liar.

Am trying to stay positive and calm but its bloody hard. I HATE THE BLOODY UK BORDER AGENCY GRRRRRRR

Posted Image

I don't think you are the only one that feels like that. Posted Image

hi louisemarie , im in the same situation as you :( i appreciate 100% how you feel and i have studied the home office site for months.... my husband has been in turkey again now since june we applied beginning of jan this year we were delayed as they have to take an english language test and we had to wait for this to be available :( has your husband done the language test?? ive spent over £2500 just in calls to him alone and 3 visits in the last 6 months its very stressful and upsetting time the waiting is awful and the uncertainess..... if you need to chat im here i feel the same as you xxxx

Hi Askim2011.

My husband sat the english language test over here and also did a language course in College here so thankfully we are ok on that score - having said that the woman in worldbridge did query whether he needed to take one in Turkey (luckily someone else intervened and said it was ok). I spend every free moment on the internet trying to find ways and means to speed things up....but I know I am just clutching at straws. We have now had an email from worldbridge to say we cant contact them with queries until after 12 weeks - that has annoyed me so much. One part of me thinks just leave work and go to Turkey but then I know if I leave work they probably would reject his visa - I cant win. Its putting tremendous strain on our relationship as the stress of it all is now making us irritable to each other.

You must be finding it really hard if your husband has been there since June - and phone calls are so bloody expensive. Have you got Skype - we use that every day and even if we are just sitting home, having dinner or watching TV we keep it on - it sort of makes each of us feel included in the others life.

I am back out to Turkey in 3 weeks for a visit - by then 8 weeks will have passed since we applied. Whilst I understand immigration has to be controlled - I do think that if you can prove you have been together legally for a couple of years, then the Home Office should try to not take so long....at the end of the day they are not only making it difficult for Turkish citizens but also hurting the lives of British citizens financially.........

RANT OVER!!!!!

Fingers crossed for both of us that they speed things up and we have some happy news soon xxx

OMG Mete got a text from Worldbridge today - he can go and collect his documents from Istanbul tomorrow..........am really hoping that its a positive thing and his Visa will be there. Just thinking about it is making me feel sick with excitement/worry/fear. Please everyone keeps your fingers crossed........

I should know by half twelve english time whether or not hes coming home. - Thats 30 working days from date application went in......

I think!!!!

Will let you all know x

Fingers crossed LM. :)

Well I am sad to say that it wasnt good news - and it has taken till now for me to calm down enough to be sensible - ranting, raving and crying seems to have done the trick and now I am just bloody angry.

Visa was rejected - they dont believe we are a genuine couple and said although we proved we have lived together since July 2011 this is not enough proof of a relationship. Pretty much accusing me of a sham marriage - not only upsetting but a massive slur on my character. They have given us appeal papers to do from UK........am angry that they didnt just ask for more evidence of our relationship before making that decision - bloody bureaucrats.

Anyway yesterday I spent most of the day printing off facebook timeline pages which prove we have been in a relationship - photos, comments, mutual friends etc. My mum and dad, brother and daughter have all written letters detailing when and where they met Mete and my boss in work is going to do the same. I also have wedding cards, christmas cards and anniversary cards that I am going to put in. Phone records on my mobile only go back as far as Feb this year as I got a new contract (i bet they turn this into an issue even though on the records I have we constantly call and text each other). I have emails from his sister from October 2010 because she mailed me recipes to cook for his birthday and also emails from his accountant regarding his tax return as I was the contact dealing with it for him. I also have a print out of my flight to turkey this week (showing it was booked two weeks ago), am sure they should realise if it was a sham marriage I wouldnt be flying back out there within 5 weeks of coming back.

I am going to opt for an oral appeal and my brother (who is in the Met) is going to come as a witness. My problem is........trying to fill in the appeal online it asks for a reference number - and nowhere on the forms detailing the refusal does it give one - this means I will have to do it by mail and hope they can track it from the case number etc. Am sure they didnt give a reference number just to make things more awkward and test us.

According to the appeal papers the Home Office have the chance to review the case before date of appeal and decide whether to change their decision - does anyone know if this ever actually happens and also where the appeal is actually held.

Appeal going in first class special delivery post tomorrow, as if I wait any longer to do it am going to get more angry and probably not be so reasonable!!!!!

Louise just read your post and was sorry that you got a no you both must be devastated. If you look at the link below it talks about getting the reference number you need. I copied an extract below and you can read the rest if you open the link.

Guidance for Submitting your appeal online

When you wish to submit an appeal online, you should click on the ‘Lodge an

Appeal’ button on the opening page.

You will then be asked a series of questions regarding your appeal. You

should answer these accurately since they determine the type of appeal form

you will complete with questions appropriate for your type of appeal.

Important

As you are in the process complete your appeal online, you will be given a

reference number, commencing with IAFT. You should take a note of this

number since it will allow you to return to your appeal form if you wish to

complete the form in more than one session. You should note that the

previously entered details of your appeal form are only held for 48 hours, after

which you would need to begin your submission again......

http://www.justice.g...es-guidance.pdf

You asked if your papers are reviewed before the date of appeal and the answer is yes they do. I don't what your chances are but we have heard of peoples bundle being reviewed and didn't have to go to court but again not sure how often that happens. I noticed in one of the links that the appeal can be heard at different courts around the UK, whether you will be near one of these courts I don't know and hope that it will be one near you,

We have had members on the forum who have appealed and will have experienced this 1st hand and hope they will be able to give you good advice.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/beforetravel/visas/appeals/

Good luck and keep us posted. Posted Image

Oh LM, how disappointing to say the least. I think Abi has covered all the info you need. I wish you good luck and hope things turn out better for you soon.

Louise I forgot to say that Sophie123 had to appeal as well. recently although for a different reason. 2 days before the court case the British Embassy rang her husband and told him to come and pick up his passport, I'm hoping Sophie will see this post if not I'm sure she wouldn't mind you sending her a message. Sophie is lovely and I'm sure she wouldn't mind answering any questions you may have.

Louisemarie im really so sorry that you didnt get excepted!

I hope all goes well with your appeal! I have a friend, they applied 3 times and go rejected all of them, then the last time they decided to appeal and were granted it. They got all the money paid back aswell for the visa applications before!

Good luck xx

We used to have a very nice lady who was very knowledgeable about visas and appeals, who helped a lot of our members, but she was stalked by some really evil people, who twisted everything she said and said a lot nasty, unnecessary things about her on their own sad,sick forum so she stopped posting on open forums.

Anyway, If I remember correctly, she said that provided you've got the evidence of being in a genuine marriage and meet the other requirements, there is a good chance of winning an appeal.

Oh I know the forum you mean Sunny, They only have a few members who are damn right nasty and because they haven't got anything to say they have had to resort to looking at other forums just to find things that they can tear to pieces. All rather sad as I believe some of them are old and past it and really should know better.

I think the worst thing they do is tell lies about people they have never met, incredible isn't it and sadly we lost a valued member because of the stalking and lies. It is said that actually there aren't really any members only one deluded woman who runs the site who is pretending to be the other members. I don't know if it's true as I can't see the site in Turkey any more because the Turkish government banned it because it was so vile. Anyway they all seem to be so very bitter and twisted on there and I can't see any sane person would want to join it.

When I think of that forum the picture below comes to mind.

Posted Image

I think I know the forum you are talking about. Those women are really vile the way they talk about people and did you notice they keep bumping up really old posts about that lady you were talking about sunny really boring keep going over the same old things again and again. They dont have much to talk about except posts on other forums that they poke fun at and make nasty comments. Another nasty thing they do is to call the turkish partners of there victims t**ds . realy racist . Im not surprised the forum was banned in Turkey.

Sorry Louise, I went off topic but felt I had to comment after I read Sunny's post and I expect Buykus did as well as we lost a good member. Anyway back on topic.

Thanks for all your wishes and advice - have tried to contact the lady you mentioned Abi so hopefully she will let me know. Today I sent off the appeal by post as the online one wouldnt let me complete it, along with dozens of photos, emails, cards, bills, letters from my family and friends and also from work. Fingers crossed this will be enough as I really dont see what else I could give them. According to the appeal website it says they aim to respond to me in 10 days with an appeal date so hopefully when I return from Turkey I will have some more info in the post.

The more I think about it tho the more angry I am.......

I cant believe they are implying I am some sort of criminal who married someone just so they could get a visa. Once this is resolved I am definately going public and complaining about the way the case has been conducted....but only once hubby is safely back here with me :)