Sign in to follow this  
emu88

Big Car Parts In Suitcase

Rate this topic

I want to buy some big car parts here in the UK for my Beetle back in Turkey, like crankshaft, flywheel etc that will be about 20+kg and about 40cm in length/width. Does anyone know of any problems this might cause? I know a few small items are fine but what about a fair amount of small parts plus these big heavy ones??

Ive never traveled with car parts before but I have to say I kind of think you would have a problem with those on check inPosted Image Considering how airports are these days.

Friends of mine regularly bring big and heavy things into Turkey in a "bike bag". Check it in and pay for the excess baggage and it seems to be ok for them. Make sure you don't go over the maximum per person weight.

Hi, a friend of mine regularly uses a golf bag to bring in her heavy bits.

Dare I say this?

My humour ,sorry,

suggest she goes to weight watchersPosted Image if her bits are that heavy.

Hmm interesting. Well I contacted Thomas Cook asn they said it will be no problem for smaller parts not not big things like a crankshaft etc.On another note, I want to bring back a bunch of unlocked cheap mobile phones in their original boxes (like 10) for friends and family since they're so expensive in Turkey. Luggage is not scanned when ARRIVING in a country is it, but only when leaving. Would Uk airports stop me taking say 10 boxed mibiles phones out the country? I would have receipts for them all.

You are likely to be checked for mobile phones as there is a limit of one every two years now. The Turkish customs and immigration are not stupid and often catch people bringing in pork, phones, and other stuff that they shouldn't. Try being sensible instead.

İf you arrive in Antalya via Istanbul then your luggage is screened on arrival. Also mobiles are difficult to convert to Turkish networks as stated you are allowed one every two years and it has to be done within one month of arrival in the country.

The phones I bought are all unlocked and will work on any provider, just pop in a sim. Additionally I paid just just a few pounds each for them, which makes 60TL seem pricey. Not bad phones either. Believe it or not, it's a very real possibility. All you need to do is use a cashback website, then go via them to mobiles.co.uk and choose a cheap pay as you go phone with a vodafone sim. You get a good standard phone for a few quid that would cost about 10 times as much in Turkey.Anywho, so your luggage gets scanned if you fly from Istanbul, what about direct to Antalya from Manchester with T.cook?Plenty of people have 2 or even 3 phones, so as long as the box is flattened and the phone is on your person with a sim in, surely no one would be able to stop you for that. If you are travelling in a party of 3-4 then you can get 3-4 new phones in.

If you think you know better than the customs officers then go ahead and bring them. Just remember that customs officers can stop you for ANYTHİNG.

Emu even though the mobiles are unlocked they will be blocked within 30 days of being used in Turkey unless they have been registered even if a Turkish sim card is used. As Aine said they have to be registered and can only be done by people who have been outside of Turkey, they will have to take their passports to prove that they arrived in Turkey within the 30 days of entry stamp. You can only registered 1 phone every 2 years if it is brought intoTurkey.

Listen to Abi emu. She is correct. You can smuggle the phones in but you won't be able to use them without them being registered within 30 days of entry. You will need a local SIM which won't work without the phone being registered. You are allowed to register one phone in two year period.If you keep the original foreign card in them it will cost a fortune to use.

Hmm, I checked some Turkish forums and yes that does seem to be the case, even if it's unlocked. No matter, I can go to the local Turkcell shop when I am back and register one of the phones with my passport, costs 5 TL apparently, and my partner another. The other phones when my family visit and go back to Turkey. I only ended up paying about £2 per phone anyway!

Edit: Bummer, seems you need to BUY a new Turkish sim too, even though I have one:

Pasaport

Nüfus Cüzdanı

Emniyetten Alınacak Ülkeye Giriş Kağıdı (Pasaportunda Giriş Tarihli Mühür Olanların Alması Gerekmiyor)

İkametgah Belgesi (Türk Pasaportu Olanların Alması Gerekmiyor)

Yeni Bir Hat

It's such a silly law, if even basic phones weren't so pricey in Turkey then people wouldn't try to buy from abroad.

Or you could use them as fake phones to show off. Does anyone else remember the first mobile phones which were so expensive they were huge and used only by traders and stock brokers. But for a handful of Italian lira you could buy a fake one on the Ventimiglia market and lie on the beach shouting into your (fake) telephone, "Buy 1000 shares" " Oh, at that price, sell now".

Or you could use them as fake phones to show off. Does anyone else remember the first mobile phones which were so expensive they were huge and used only by traders and stock brokers. But for a handful of Italian lira you could buy a fake one on the Ventimiglia market and lie on the beach shouting into your (fake) telephone, "Buy 1000 shares" " Oh, at that price, sell now".

Back when I was an Italian policeman called Roberto...I used to do this a lot. After a while it got tiring...my wife (a young farm girl picked from the Tuscan hills) left me and hooked up with a whiskey seller from Romania called Georg. I never saw them again. I was left with a fake mobile, tired arms and no shares in Dr Oetker.

The Curtains....are just the tip of the iceberg. My washing machine has a lacy cover!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Ok so we want you see pictures of you and your beautiful new bride, picture of curtains and lace cover for washing machine please :)

Oh clinky! :D Has she put crochet bits on all the shelves yet?Please, please give us a good laugh and post some pickies plus the promised ones of your wedding.