Sign in to follow this  
lindadray

Mobiles Being Brought Into Turkey From The Uk - Have The Laws Changed?

Rate this topic

Have the laws on bringing a mobile phone from the uk changed or are they still they same?It used to be that you could bring 1 mobile per passort within a 2 year period,then register it with your preferred mobile networks n that was that! A friend told me the other day that these laws are changing,soon you won;t be allowed to bring them into Turkey, the snag is she can't remember which Forum she read it on.I can't find any info,just wondered if anybody using this Forum has any info on the subject.I'm due to go over to Scotland at Easter time for a wee holiday n was hoping to treat myself to a new phone as they're quite expensive here!No point bringing one back with me if the networks are not willing to register them,then it'll have been a total waste of para!Lindy Lou

I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so as far as I know, the same rule applies, one phone can be registered in a two year period. Once it is registered you can use a local SIM card.

What you also have to watch out with is putting another sim card into your unlocked phone, I brought a phone over for me and one for Haluk last year and unlocked both with vodafone, after about 5 months i broke my phone so wanted to check my sim in his phone. After this the phone blocked and Haluk couldnt use his sim in it, we took it to Vodafone and after visiting the store every day for 3 weeks, calling the call centre and contacting everyone possible, we managed to get it working again.They said that when you register your phone in a shop, they connect the phone to your sim card, so if you put a new sim in it, it will automatically block out!!When i move back in June i will take my phone with me and a new one for Haluk, I think my 2 years will be up by then, but we will wait until my family come in July for the wedding to register the phones :) xx

Remember that you have to register them within 30 of the entry date on your passport.Yes, I've heard of SIMs being blocked if you change it to another provider.

Remember that you have to register them within 30 of the entry date on your passport.

Hey Sunny,ye i know, we wont be using them until they are unlocked, they will be switched off. We have haluks phone so we dont need it urgently as we will just share his, thats what we done for about 3 months before i came back last year and worked fine. xx

I'm living in Turkey on a residence permit. I bought an IPhone from the US by mail a few weeks ago. I had a new SIM card put in it at the TurkCell shop, and a couple of days ago the service was terminated. I got the phone legally, since I can use the mail system at NATO in Izmir, as a retiree, for packages up to 16 onces.I went to the TurkCell shop in Kaş, and they said I had to go to a main store in Fethiye to get the service connected again. Yes Sunny, I know you told me this would happen!Since I had it shipped to me legally in Turkey, I wonder if the rule still applies. Or do I have to take a trip to the Greek islands just to have an unnecessary visa stamp? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Well, that 's what the law says, that you have to register it within 30 days of arrival but what the situation is regards to having one sent I don't know. I have heard of people having them returned to sender when sent by ordinary mail.Good Luck.

I think what I'll do is go to Meis and return on Friday, so I have a visa and stamp on my passport when I go to the big Turkcell place in Fethiye. Better than to take a chance of having a useless mobile phone. Hopefully the weather will be good and the ferry will go. I'll let you know what happens.

I think that sounds like an very good idea and hopefully will save you a lot of hassle in the long run. Have a nice day. Posted Image